Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)  (Read 6105 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »

Believe me: by this point, we have low standards. Just take your time, have fun, and post what updates you can. Taking a little more time is a good thing if it improves the quality of your contribution.

It is odd that Kenbo would violate one of our cardinal rules: Don't let the fort run out of booze, causing folks drink all of our limited water supply! I guess he was a bit distracted. At least now we have experience creating a working water generator thanks to Sparkgear 7. I am uploading the correct save now, so if you want some inspiration from that model you can go to SG7 and have a look.

Be aware that if you do decide to make one then you need constructed walls/floor for the overhead magma reservoir.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2009, 12:34:18 pm »

barconis nailed it on the head: we ran out of wood, and not enough metal to spare, so we can't make barrels.  That happened during winter, so by the time the problem arose there wasn't any time to fix it.  There should have been only enough logs left to save a moody dwarf.

Our water isn't that limited, anyway.  If it ever gets low, just carve out a path for magma to flow beneath the ice and watch it melt into the basin.  I specifically avoided expanding north to save room for that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:36:41 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:22 pm »

It's not nearly as simple as all that, Kenbo. The freezing mechanics are very screwy. Doing what you suggest would not allow the water to refill.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2009, 02:27:48 am »

Hey Barconis, considering it's time for finals for most of us and a busy time of the year in general, I've been letting this slide. But we don't want a totally dead fort on our hands. You still with us? Working on it maybe?
The sigs topic:

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2009, 06:38:02 pm »

Argh, yeah, I got halfway through the year, fixing the drinks problem, and then Thanksgiving came around and bit my behind. I'm not doing so well on my first succession fort. :/  I'll finish the year and publish what I've got.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

Alright, no pressure. Just have fun with it and we'll go with whatever happens. Don't want to ruin your holidays over a game!
The sigs topic:

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2009, 07:00:35 am »

OK, here's the save for spring 204. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1671

And some running commentary from the year. Turns out I'm not a fast writer, so I hope this fairly stream-of-consciousness update covers everything.

----

"Plant food, grow food, harvest food, dump food. I don't like to complain, but that just don't sound right."
"You don't like to complain? When do you do anything else, Unib?"
"That's UNIB, U, N, I, B, UNIB! Get it right! And there's plenty of stuff I like to do besides complain."
"Look, I don't like throwing away food any more than anyone does, but we need barrels for booze. You like booze, right?"
"Does Armok like blood? Course I like booze!"
"Well, when we get some more booze brewed we can pull all of these helmets back out of the closet. Until then, it stays dumped."
"Don't go blaming me if these all turn up withered by the time that happens. It's a dang shame, is what it is."

Sure enough, by 8th Slate the rotten helmets were stinking up the hallway. But at least we had booze! We could drink to forget the smell. And other things...

"Say, UNIB, aren't you supposed to be a cook?"
"Best cook in the fortress," UNIB said proudly. "Just take a sniff o them roasts!"
"Then why are you here smelting ore instead of working in the kitchen?"
UNIB looked down and shuffled his feet. "A dwarf needs to, you know, expand his horizons, learn new skills."
"Logem here can do the smelting. That's what he does. Why don't you do some milling? You've got the arms for it. You can learn smelting some other time."

mid-Granite, the Elven caravan arrives right on schedule. Looking over the trade goods, it looks like somebody's been looting the giant cave spider silk for making trinkets! After buying out the entire elven caravan, I found The Architect's secret stash. Guess we've been squirrelling away items for "a big caravan", wink wink.

"Hey, Vicas. We've got some barrels freed up, you can start brewing now." Vicas looked over, nodded, went back to looking up at the sky. "You know, we're all looking forward to see what you can do with that still."
"I'll get to it. I'm on break right now."
"On break? We're dying here on account of we got no booze, and you're on break?"
"Dwarf union, dude. I don't make the rules." He checked his nails, bit off a ragged edge, then inspected his handiwork. "I can't break the rules, no dwarf can. Go see if Kadol's free."

Kadol was sitting in the food stockpile with his feet up on a barrel labeled "Meat". "Sorry, boss, I'm on break, too. But I'll get right on it just as soon as I can. Let me know when it's 26 Granite." He pulled his x(pigtail cap)x down over his eyes and went to sleep.

28 Granite, some migrants have arrived:
Sibrek Likotkir, Clothier
Mafol Adrillor, Metalsmith
Olon Dodkzanor, Peasant
Atir Othtathatkel, Fisherdwarf
Stukos Saziramem, Engraver
Lorbam Mistemiden, Carpenter
Mosus Degelthatthil, Siege Operator
Endok Ducimostath, Peasant

Turns out there was no meeting hall, so new arrivals just wandered around outside until they starved to death or died of thirst. Never should've put in the signs to that meeting hall, though, because as soon as they got in they held a big party and proclaimed The Architect the first Mayor of Glazeviper. Now he's making all kinds of demands. More so than before. "I need a better office, of course. And a private bedroom, and an elegant dining room for entertaining guests of the fortress, it's all about marketing you know. Of course I'll need furnishings to match, a place to put all of my knick-knacks and party supplies. Oh, and I'll need an animal trap."

"An animal trap?"
"For trapping animals, yes. A small one."

17th Felsite. In honor of producing vast amounts of booze, or possibly the promotion of The Architect, the useless cheesemaker Asob Usirrakust organized a party in the dining hall.

28th Felsite. The newly arrived fish cleaner, Meng Knifefather, has become possessed by some eldritch force and claimed a craftdwarfs workshop. He grabbed some scraps from the midden and seems to be muttering to himself about blocks or bricks. I've asked the masons to smooth some blocks, but with this party going on it might be a little while before that gets filled. If it takes more than a few days I'll go in and break it up.

As summer rolls in, we have once again run out of barrels. This time, though, we have 259 drinks stored up, which ought to hold us for a little while at least.

By 7th Hematite, Meng started building... whatever it is he's building. Oh, great, it's a shad bone mask. How charming. He calls it Etesushil, "The Blowing Ice", which has a picture of the artifact amulet Arothenas on it. I think maybe the dwarves need some kind of artistic inspiration. It's worth some cash, anyway -- $32,400 -- so it's just the thing for those royal masquerades when you want to dress up as an amulet or something.

14th Hematite. The human caravan and guild representative have arrived. Unfortunately a pack of ice wolves was waiting. We dwarves, being sensible beings, are staying inside. And with a little serpentine run across the glacier, the trade representative made it alive and only a little bit out of breath.

Ah, the hustle and bustle of full employment. Sure, most of it is fetching and carrying, but at least they aren't laying around in the corridors getting underfoot.

The Architect has been re-elected. Surprise. I had to go break up the celebration so he could get to the trade depot. There he was, glad-handing to beat the band. He gave everyone a happy wave and walked over to the trade depot, where he happily talked the merchants out of their shorts.

18th Malachite, the human caravan has departed and some migrants have arrived. We're getting big.

Flux! Forgot to order flux, which we're going to need in order to make pig iron and steel.

12th Galena. Another party, this one organize by a peasant. Hurray, happy 'we're hauling rocks to the dump' day!

14th Limestone. The dwarven caravan and liaison have arrived. I hope we have enough goods for them.

21st Limestone. The swordsdwarf Melbil Ushilstakud suffocated in a 'training accident' while sparring with Stukos Lelgascatten.

9th Sandstone. The wrestler Ducim Rovodmuzish died while sparring with Stukos "It was an acc-i-dent" Lelgascatten. Putting military on duty while I figure out how to prevent these kinds of accidents in the future.

I ordered some flux stone. Remains to be seen if they bring any. They really really want shields and windows, have a hankering for thread, cloth, crowns, and backpacks, and would like to see blocks, large gems, rings, short swords and spears.There were no migrants in the fall.

15th Timber. The cassiterite vein finally played out, but we struck a vein of galena, so I'm happy. More stuff to dig.

18th Timber. While hauling stone out of the depths, Logem Ostathdodok the woodcutter was possessed by strange forces. I call it shirking, or the joys of a woodcutter on a glacier. By the 23rd he had gathered enough trash to begin work. All that, and he comes out wearing a turtle bone earring. "The Lone Bronze Winnower", he calls it. It has a picture of a racoon, a carving of Meng's shad bone mask, and a tiny diorama of Meng finishing his shad bone mask "The Blowing Ice". The mutual art admiration society just keeps getting bigger. At 14,400 dbucks, it's pretty pricey for an earring, though.

Once Vicas got off break, he brewed the hell out of everything in sight. It was pretty impressive. Plus we were able to buy a lot of booze, so by early winter we had close to 600 drinks stockpiled. That should last til spring. We might want to sell some of our seed collection, since we're up over 750 seeds and we could use more barrel space. I also went a little wild cooking up the meat and quarry bush leaves; hey, plenty of fancy food for everyone!

22nd Moonstone. An ambush! Curse them! Finally! Although it was pretty anticlimatic: two goblins caught in cages, the rest sliced up by a single weapon trap. Another shipment of iron and valuable trade goods, delivered right to the door. The full cages can probably go into the Architect's office with the others, whenever we get the chance.

1st Opal. Mosus Inashasmel gave birth to a girl! Right in the middle of the trade depot. The Architect looks worried.

9th Opal. It must be catching; onul Nishvathez also gave birth to a girl, outside the mess hall. The Architect is actually breaking a sweat.

Something foul is stinking up the trade depot. There isn't any obvious trash on the floor; I'm stumped.

As the year ends, my biggest problem seems to be keeping people busy. That, and I probably made too many pieces of trash to sell. There is a lot of stone lying around, much of it tucked away in dumps, which might come in handy. This was not a year for big construction; I made some bedrooms and noble quarters, dug out some mines, did some smoothing, and that's about it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38:08 am »

Your narration is highly entertaining. And now we have dwarves to fulfill those old requests for characters!

Some of the events you described surprised me, especially someone un-forbidding the silk stash and using it for crap when it's not even dyed (much less dyed by a professional), and we have precious little for moods.

I'm going to take a season or less, hardly enough to call a "turn" and run through, naming dwarves, assessing and posting where we stand. I honestly have no clue at the moment. Maybe now that a turn came through with significant narration we can get back on track!
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]