Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)  (Read 6106 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2009, 12:40:31 am »

Wonderful.  This weekend is looking to be pretty busy for me, so I don't know when I can start.  Maybe tomorrow night at the soonest, Monday night at the latest.

One thing though... I'm not very experienced with modding, so if for some reason I can't get the save working I might be asking for help.  I do have the orc mod and elf king installed and created a world to make sure it's in right, just hope it works for that save.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2009, 03:44:50 am »

You should be fine as long as you don't have anything extra in that file. Nothing is changed outside of the changes listed, and none of the original files were corrupted, so we should be able to run this as long as we want with no problems.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:45 am »

Just tested it, I can open the save.  Taking a look around and getting some ideas, but like I said, I won't get to really play this until later.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:00 am »

I lied, I actually did play a little.

1st Granite, 202, Early Spring (by Unib Stindodók)
-------------

"It's UNIB!  Make sure you get it right!  I want it made perfectly clear that my name is UNIB!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My name is Unib.  U-N-I-B.  Binu spelled backwards.  Make sure you remember that!  It's the second year of our cold little outpost and I've been elected in charge.

I may be disorganized but... sheesh, it's about time I do something about these complaints I've been having!  We have workshops and stockpiles and furniture strewn about the hallways!  Traffic will be terrible if we ever get any migrants... I set Kogan and my lovely little Sava bean to mining out some rooms to put all of these things into

Next, I have a look at our farms.  They're really disorganized... Being the resident planter, I have a few ideas of my own about how these should be laid out, so I tidy them up a bit in a way I can understand.

Finally, there's the outer walls.  Hmm... Looks like we're walling up the entire second level?  This won't do.  We need fortifications, and though it probably won't be done during my term, I'd like to get a roof above so our marksdwarves (when we get some) don't freeze during a cold winter siege!

I hope we get some migrants soon... those snow wolves are looking hungry, and I'm not cooking for the lot of them!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »

A few notes:

1) Blizzard men are frequent here. Letting anyone wander around outside is a bad idea, because even trained soldiers will get their asses handed to them 1 on 1. Walling off a nice area to allow us to build fortifications from was essential. I hope the general plan of a tower with higher shooting posts is clear; there should be plenty of room for digging around its base as well. Of course it's all up to you now.

2) Sorry about the organization: It was simply a matter of survival. Please keep things standard, as far as 3-wide hallways and using the main shaft, so we don't have a mess as each person implements a new system. Of course there should be notes on every lever. If you want to completely move the farms, that area was used only as a last resort when the water could not be transported due to insta-freezing. The areas half-carved around it are remnants of a plan that couldn't be implemented.

3) Short journeys outside don't seem to hurt the dwarves here, even during winter blizzards. However water instantly refreezes on all frozen levels.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2009, 01:27:42 pm »

13th Granite, 202, Early Spring
-------------

The elves are coming, but... cloth, cloth, cloth, cloth... no wood?!  There's a load of trap components and things in the depot, I guess we're concerned about defense.  I see some cheese roasts in the food pile, but why should we give those to the elves?  We can live without cloth for a year... but I make sure to get the craftsdwarf's shops in place for next season.

What in the world happened to all of the turtle shells??  I see loads of turtle bone bolts, but no shells!  Let me guess... somebody cooked them, didn't they?  (Not me!)  I inspect the food piles more closely and see there are still 3 turtles left forbidden.  I unforbid them so that we'll eventually eat them raw and create some shells.  That's not very many at all... hopefully, the caravans will bring turtle and cave lobster in the next seasons.

Much production was lost because The Architect threw a party that lasted the entire spring, keeping four workers from doing their jobs.  I attended the party as well to, you know, try and break it up so we can get some work done, while enjoying myself at the same time.  Vicas, dabbling comedian that she is, has a pretty immodest joke about a plump helmet and «¤Rhyolite mechanisms¤» that's just too dwarfy for me to repeat!

23 migrants arrived on the 12th of Felsite, Late Spring!  This is both a boon and a concern, as we have been terribly short-handed until now, but we haven't nearly enough wood to create beds for all of them.  Confound those elves... What's so hard about bringing a couple of logs?  You do it every other time, why not now?

One of the new migrants decided he really, really wanted to go hunting.  I tried removing his orders, changing his jobs, nothing would work.  I finally had to recruit him to stop him!

One of the peasants was taken by the fey almost as soon as they reached the fort, and started demanding wood - which we didn't have, on account of making so many beds!  Fortunately, the humans were only a few short weeks away, and the two-humped camel milk roast and ≡giant mole meat roast≡ found in the food stockpile traded very well.  We pulled all of the wood from the humans, all of the leather and cloth, all of the milk and cheese, and some other odds and ends, pretty much with just those two roasts and a couple of decorated toys.  The peasant immediately set upon the wood and began a mysterious construction, which turned out to be a tower cap amulet.  What a waste of two logs!!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »

Lol.

If you think about it, an amulet the size of two tree trunks is a pretty damn dwarfish thing to make.

When some ass throws a party, just remove the table. The party ends and you can just rebuild it immediately. I always do that :)
Otherwise you have to deal with bullshit like shuffling ownership of the mayor's rooms and people becoming friends and all kinds of crap due to the development of social skills. And that's on top of the lost work. God knows I hate DF parties. BACK TO WORK, SLAVES!

We already have minimum wage, 4-day Breaks, and free alcohol during the working day. What do they need parties for?
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2009, 11:11:18 am »

11th Malachite, 202, Mid-Summer
-------------

The humans have requested leather quivers and shields from us for next year.  I've requested more leather and cloth, booze, logs, cheese and milk, charcoal, turtles, and wooden barrels.

The wood stockpile has been moved out of the hallway and into a new chamber just south of the stink hall (that's the refuse room).  New stockpiles have been dug out near where the magma forges will go, and I've organized them to alternate between metal ores and bars.  Also, a stockpile for obsidian only is near the craftsdwarf shops.

Fortifications are being carved above the main gate, and traps have been placed around the entrance.  This should make for a decent defense!

((Sorry for the small update.  I'm fighting a fever that got worse while playing, and I need to get back to bed.))
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glazeviper, Succession/Community (sponsored) Now electing our next leader!
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:42 pm »

Geez, hope you feel better man. Please don't apologize and don't make yourself sicker for us. It's nice just to see things moving along finally; it was frustrating to watch the fort die slowly. Any migrants? I think we will have a waiting list for dwarves.

It would help with our voting and playing if we started to narrate and give dwarves personality. It is a community fort, after all. And I think it would be really nice if we didn't focus on wealth at all, but got a basic infrastructure going. Then, we can capture as many enemies as we want (and some local critters as well asap) and create an arena. After that, it's simply a matter of having grand games for our dwarves :)

My proposition is that we have civilian games as follows: We place the competitor in a room with his/her equipment, with a hallway that leads to the arena (we would have a room like this for each living dwarf competitor). We then activate the Hunt labor, and the dwarf collects his/her equipment. The doors to the other dwarves' equipment remain locked, of course. Then, we open the door from the arena to the outside, and when the dwarf passes into the arena we lock it again.
This leaves an idle, battle-ready civilian in the arena with nothing to do. Now, we pull the lever releasing the opponent(s)! At this point the dwarf kicks some tail and earns some cash, which can then be used to buy more stuff to go in his/her equipment room. This way there is no outside military training, and no one becomes locked into the military even if you become a champion!

Of course we could work out the details for a balanced arena bracket later, and our arena would need tons of neat mechanical devices. In fact, I would hope we could design multiple arenas, which would affect your earnings based on danger level and/or difficulty. We would also need a permanently open alternative entrance to the fort leading through a maze (long pathing and a traffic zone that dwarves will wish to avoid) of around 100 cage traps.

VOTE FOR ME TO SEE THIS BECOME REALITY! Oh, was that out of place? Oh well. Let the campaigning begin! I promise high-quality booze to everyone, and syrup roasts year round! A fancy arena where everyone can compete without facing that nasty draft! A goblin-bone decoration in every bedroom! A pack of tamed ice wolves and rabid kittens as our last line of defense! A VOTE FOR ARCHITECT IS A VOTE FOR GLAZEVIPER!
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2009, 11:19:46 am »

The Architect is already starting his campaign for another year... Well, then, in the meantime I'll be digging up some dirt on this guy for a good ol' fashioned smear campaign!

Like... this!!  *Ahem.*

The Architect wants you to believe he's a fun guy.  Always throwing parties, taking up your time, bringing you your drinks... all that nice guy stuff only goes so far though, doesn't it?  What about all of those fancy promises he's making?  Do you want to be thrown into a pit with nothing but a stick and a fancy elf thong and be forced to fight ice wolves for cash?

So, where is your hard-earned work going when you vote for The Architect?

Why are we wasting perfectly good bronze on the flooring of our outer wall?  Wouldn't that bronze be put to better use defending us in the form of a weapon?

So the next time you're attending one of The Architect's fancy parties and listening to him ramble about his deadly megaprojects, ask yourself...

Where does the vanity end?

Unib Stindodók (That's UNIB!!  Make sure you spell it right on the ballot!  U-N-I-B!!).  A dwarf that makes much more sense, because...

((All in good fun :D))
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:21:31 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »

6th Galena, 202, Late Summer - 13th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn
-------------

With that taken care of, I set to work finishing a lot of the job that were previously started.  Four new magma forges and four magma smelters are constructed.  With that, and the several bins of leather traded from the humans, we've begun outfitting a military - small, sure, but present.  Two axedwarves and two hammerdwarves are training as we speak in the barracks (which has been widened, and the beds removed, by the way).

The miners are getting a real workout with more exploratory mining, and more of the defensive wall has been built.  We had another successful trading session, again buying up what we need - including bauxite - almost entirely with just three stacks of roasts.  Honestly, it seems that stone crafting and encrusting does little more than raise experience and keep the workers from going idle.  Ah, well.

We had a training accident, followed by a goblin ambush.  Those smelly goblins snuck all the way up to the gate before they were noticed by a cage trap... I can see security isn't a strong point here.  I'm digging some trenches out front to guide the goblins toward the new weapon traps...

We're digging out a "Hall of Heroes" where the fallen will lay.  The recruit who was slain in the barracks is the first to lie there.

Meanwhile, I must get back to my cooking.  There's a load of dwarven cheese waiting to be roasted!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2009, 01:34:14 pm »

Lmao...

Ahem. I mean, "I hired you, you bastard! Keep a civil tongue in your mouth! Where would you be without an experienced trader to sell those fine roasts? We wouldn't even have them if I hadn't personally ordered them up and hidden them for trading!"

Oh, and I didn't build anything out of bronze. Did you do that?

Hell, I didn't even HAVE bronze. Just iron and the bismuth bronze I brought along so we'd have weapons if all else failed. Did anyone ever ask themselves how is it that we smelt steel with magma that isn't hot enough to melt it?

"No one will be forced to fight. However, for the glory of the dwarves we will slay those foolish enough to violate my our will! Oh, and anyone who runs a smear campaign against me, because of the rule I just made against it.
Elect me, and you will see more of my ongoing miracles, like providing drinkable water in a frozen glacier, farming with naught but ice and rock, smelting iron with magma, and infinite booze without wasting water! Without me, these techniques would have been unavailable to us! I promise to perform more miracles like catching dragons in wooden cages, creating matter (in the form of infinite water) and an army of tame monsters! Not only that, but I'll make boulders evaporate with the flick of a switch! A VOTE FOR ARCHITECT IS A VOTE FOR GLAZEVIPER!"
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2009, 10:45:18 am »

11th Timber, 202, Late Autumn
-------------

Seven more migrants arrived!  This brings our population up to 36.  Training up a military is going well... except for the injuries.  Truth be told, we don't have many hands to spare, so the military is kind of small.

I've found a good place for the goblin prisoners.  I'm sure The Architect won't disagree, brave expedition leader that he is...

At the turn of winter, Koseth Delerathel grabbed two pieces of pig tail cloth, put them together, and called it an artifact.  Utter garbage...

The commons are completed.  Nobody has any beds assigned, we don't have enough wood for that.  But at least there are plenty of free beds with doors to go around.  Also, the meeting hall had new tables and chairs installed.  We also now have three querns for milling dwarven syrup and sugar for cooking ingredients.  Too bad there isn't a reliable source of power... I don't know if there's enough wind for a windmill, and it's too bloody cold to go outside and build one to find out!

Several new gem clusters and a vein of cassiterite were discovered, but I leave those to whomever is taking over next.

We need drinks.  There aren't any more barrels here to put drinks into, and we have one log left in case of mood emergency (actually, there were five left when I stopped giving wood orders, so I really want to know where the other four went!)  This should be first priority to whomever takes over.

((Save!))Spring is here-- finally.  I could use a break from all this.  Politics aren't really my thing.

Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2009, 08:49:31 pm »

So, I think it's time to recruit some new members and open that arena!

I like Sava, he's a cool guy, but the thread nearly died during his turn. No one else even seems to be here?
The sigs topic:

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2009, 09:41:54 am »

I'm here, I'm just not feeling really engaged with the whole community fort process.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7