Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)  (Read 6107 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:32:37 am »

Welcome to Glazeviper, a cacophany of magma and ice! You can see what the state of the map is from the embark pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, who's with me!?
Everyone has a dwarf, appearing in the order you volunteer.  After the first year, a new leader is elected here from the current dwarfs.  I think players should be able to be reincarnated if their character dies, perhaps only from babies :). We'll figure it out.

Players with dwarfs in the fortress will nominate themselves here for the upcoming election, as the turn comes to a close.  If you like the way someone ran the fort, want to give them a chance, like their writing, or just plain want to, you can vote for them.

Since this is a glacier map, it was necessary to start with a solid set of dwarves, and so I'm afraid it would be impossible to give the first 7 whatever professions you want. However, if you want to be one of the first seven here they are:

"The Architect", Leader, Appraiser/Judge of Intent (will be mining) [Architect]
Kogan "Violencetongs" (Barconis), Miner/Weaponsmith
Sarvesh "Rampartrelics" "Sava" (sava2004), Miner/Armorer
Unib "Lastpaddles" "Darish" (Danish), Carpenter/Mechanic
Cilob "Lancedkeeper" "Glarthir", Engraver/Mason/Building Designer (Chicken Launcher)
Eral "Rythmconstruct" "Vicas" (Vicas), Brewer/Grower (will dabble in something for artifacts)
Unib "Strifefulclasps" "Unib" (KenboCalrissian), Cook/Grower (ditto)

Names can be changed, of course. Claim your dwarves now! A waiting list will be updated here when there are more interested players than dwarfs. Let the frostbite begin! Tear the skeletons bone from bone! Build the obsidian tower! Up with the arena! Set the cage traps! Disarm the goblins and fling them in with the denizens of our Terrifying landscape! STRIKE THE EARTH!

This is on orc mod, but the orcs didn't survive somehow. Go figure.

Waiting list:
1. Lafiel
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:47:05 am by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Glazeviper, Succession and Community (sponsored)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:39:36 am »

I'll sign up for one of the later 7 turns, and I'll take the mason.
Name: "Glarthir"
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:15:26 pm »

I'd like a slot in this. And I'd like to take Kogan "Violencetongs"; I like the name as-is.

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 03:39:32 pm »

Imma take "Rampantrelics"

Name him "Sava" for me, will ya?
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

Danish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:59:26 pm »

I'll take a turn. Also, could I have the Carpenter named "Daris"?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:15:56 pm by Danish »
Clearly he had a sobriety problem

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:44:03 pm »

Sounds fun, but I've never played with orcs before.  If that's cool, I'll take Unib, nicknamed 'Unib' ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:48:06 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Vicas

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Yargle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:56:31 pm »

I'll take Eral. Name him Vicas.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:17:54 am »

Done! For whatever reason, this isn't showing up in "New Replies", but I backlogged and found it. Looks like we have our 7 dwarves, will update your names and start the game!
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 04:02:33 am »

From the Journal of Kol Cattenineth, in the Year 201:

Dear Diary,
Today is the most momentus of my life! I made the most important discovery of my life! I've been saving myself for marriage, you know, because I worship Inod. Well, I had a little too much rum, wine, and beer last night. Maybe a little ale, too? Ugh, never Mix drinks.
The upshot is, a charming little minx told me how stylishly I was dressed, and how pretty my beard was... and I fell for it! Well, such is the path of the drunkard.

She took me back to her room of tastefully arranged red sand room with its Gold opal-studded bed, where she pulled the leather whip "Carnalpulley" from her *<<-Rope reed bag->>*, and as she coiled it around her fingers, she said "I've been looking for another one like me for a long time."
"What do you mean," I asked.
"A lesbian, of course. There aren't many among us dwarfs."
"What on EARTH are you talking about? I'm a man!"
"Well, well, well. I know it can be hard to tell dwarfs apart, but really... that's just silly. Didn't you ever check your Profile," she asked.
"Well.... no. I didn't think it was important. What are you talking about?"
"You are a worshipper of Inod, with no lovers, you like red sand, zinc, gold opals, and black bear leather... believe me, I did my research." She said this as she played with her leather whip. "And to top it all off, you're female, and dressed like a male! Everything I've been looking for."
"Make that a DUBIOUS worshiper of Inod. This would shake anyone's faith... I'm a woman after all?"

At that point I ran from the room crying. I may not be male, but I'm no lesbian! I wouldn't be associated with the customs of those outdated nobles for anything! I need a break, so took on a mission from the Count of Inez...

Glazeviper! A glacier in the middle of nowhere... a perfect place to forget my sorrows. Nevermind that it's infested with skeletons, packs of ice wolves, and Sasquatches, I'll go anywhere to get away from this. At least there I won't need to pretend to be a man any longer to hide my embarrassment.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:46:22 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:31:14 am »

Sign me up for (apparently) the waiting list  ;D

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:34:43 am »

Done. Any preferences about your dwarf? Well, you'll have first pick of any migrants or babies.

Spring, 201.

I'm proud to say that I've earned a respectable nickname. Due to my adept designs for our little home away from mountainhome, the others have dubbed me "The Architect". Of course we have someone who designs the smaller things, but on the grander, non-technical scale, it's all me. If I had to design anything like a safe bridge I might be dubbed something along the lines of "The Murderess". So I leave that to Glarthir, "the chicken launcher". Don't ask me how he got that name; probably something to do with his less-respectable designs in the past. I heard he might have even originated the Kittypult designs!

Aside from our infamous building designer and graffiti artist, there are 5 other dwarfs serving under me here. We have two miners who also know how to work a forge, named Kogan Lirukolin and Sava. I'm told Kogan's last name means "Violencetongs", and that's so appropriate and conveniently easy to remember that I've logged him under that name. Also on my roll is someone named 'Vicas', who seems to be an accomplished brewer. Well, my hat goes off to anyone who can work a still! Working alongside Vicas is Unib, the cook. She slipped me a note explaining that she must be known as 'Unib', and made certain to pull me aside and make sure I had understood her note. Well, I've listed her on the roll, as clearly and legibly as possible, under the name 'UNIB'.

The last dwarf has been quite a troublemaker. Shortly after arrival we had a problem with a pack of snow wolves. It seems our dogs were insistent on going out one at a time and challenging the entire pack. Well, I had nothing to chain them with so we lost a few before the problem could be solved. Luckily, we still have a mating pair. But on with the story: I mustered everyone and we went out, armed with whatever we could grab (Vicas had a bismuth bronze ingot and Unib seemed to be wielding a plow). Well this last unnamed dwarf decided he didn't want to go out and fight the wolves. What a pain! In the end, we cornered a few of them, and Unib willingly butchered them once the carnage was over. The coward's name was Darish, and she was given a good talking-to.

It seems Darish didn't take kindly to being called a coward. No one does, after all. So the next time a crisis came along in the form of a couple of blizzard men at our door, she took the frontline with me and we took it down together. She ran screaming back to bed in the barracks with a scratched arm, bleeding all over the place, but that was after she shattered its head and the shards flew everywhere. I'll have to remember to make some armor out of the next pack of ice wolves. Anyway, the bleeding stopped before she was even inside, and we moved on to take out the other blizzard man...

The thing must have stood nine feet tall. I told everyone to hold their position until we could gather our numbers, but Glarthir would have none of that! He had taken to calling himself a Wrestler after he killed a couple of fire imps, and they say enough ale will make anyone feel 10 feet tall. I pointed out that the blizzard man still had a weight advantage on him, but he was insistent. So, afraid he would die alone, I ordered everyone in. And Glarthir managed to take a shot to the kidney and break his arm. Well, so much for calling himself a Wrestler just because he managed to beat a couple of fire imps to death. Sure, he has a lot of guts, but it's crazy to charge a blizzard man alone. Sava stepped up and dispatched it while it was preoccupied, ending the drama.

At least there will be no more lonely obscene doodles on the walls for a while. It seems Glarthir is convinced he will die alone, too.

Summer 201
Since late spring we have been looking for a way to start our farming. I had drawn out the plans for carving out some ice and dropping it down onto the bedrock, since the magma vent is a bit too far below the surface to use for producing drinking water. The search for iron in the appropriate Ryolite layers had not yet produced fruit. Then, on the 10th of Hematite, we struck hematite! Now I am putting it to good use creating pump parts. Let it be noted that the magma vent tends to belch up very small, but very dangerous amounts of lava about twice a season, so any holes made through the obsidian cap should be covered immediately! Anyway, as soon as I have forged this pump section we will get the farm going. It looks like I will be designing bridges and pumps after all until Glarthir gets back on his feet.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:13 am »

Can you post a link to the orc mod you're using?  I want to make sure I get the right version.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 08:57:10 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

sava2004

• Bay Watcher
  • Look here! it's a pointless scentence!
    • View Profile
    • Sava2004's website.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 08:54:12 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26858.0

That's the one he's using. When people say "The Orc mod" they usually mean this one, unless they say so.
this rock is studded with rock and on it is engraved a picture of a rock.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 09:11:28 am »

I will post the whole game file when the time comes, so you can be sure it will work. By the way, Glarthir almost died of thirst AFTER I had the water set up, and it used about 3 levels of water to "Give Water", iow it cost us 1/3 of our water supply! By my calculations, Give Water cost us 125x3 = 375 levels of water! Is this not a massive glitch? Our gigantic magma-melted water pool was depleted to almost unusable levels (3/4/5) with one task! This means that Glarthir's recovery period will probably require melting the usable ice layer for about half the region??

How does one iron bucket hold 55 full squares of water? You can be sure I'll be setting up a Well as soon as I can get the water supply diverted, but I doubt it will last at this insane consumption rate.

Alright, about to reload a previous save. It seems the Give Water glitch just depleted our entire water supply, and he's still starving/dehydrated. It seems there is something odd with temperature here, like the iron bucket sitting in the forge directly over magma somehow evaporating all the water they fill it with, but not setting dwarfs on fire. VERY strange bug.
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 10:33:18 am »

Alright, it appears that due to several known bugs with in-game water/ice, it may be necessary to start this over. I still have the embark file, so nothing will change about your dwarfs.

The reason Glarthir cannot be given water is that the water freezes INSTANTLY when it is removed from the lava-heated pool, and becomes "ice" on the ground tile. This means hundreds of "ice" are created, but no one will carry ice down in the bucket to the next level where it would naturally melt. This may provide a nice, easy way to force dwarfs to drain the cistern to be used as our farm area, but Glarthir won't get his drink. Also, any attempts to path the melted water to a usable site simply results in instantly refrozen water. I don't think it is fair for someone to lose their dwarf due to a bug, and I didn't know about these problems until now, nor am I sure how to counter them. Due to the game's current mechanics there is absolutely no possible way to transport the water away from the area above the magma without instant refreezing.

Any wounded dwarf, is a dead dwarf.
The sigs topic:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7