Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, um, when is the next release?  (Read 2471 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: So, um, when is the next release?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 11:51:45 am »

Keep in mind the last long-cycle release brought us a whole 3rd dimension to play with.

Thismeans that the next Release will blow you mind!
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:35 am »

It's still a shame that the current available 2D versions are so fps-crippled. I've only ever played 3D, but 3D has effectively spoiled me for fps. The two are effectively different games, and it would be nice to have the last optimized version of the 2D available as a "classic" so to speak.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 12:23:55 pm »

I wouldn't miss it.

If there was a guarenteed losing scenario in the game I'd hope my actions would matter according to world history.
It would be a bit boring actually.

You mine even one tile of addy, and then you could have the game just end at any moment.  No way of stopping it.  That's more of a restriction than a challenge.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »

Aye, older, pre-actual HFS DF versions had a guaranteed game ending. It sucked.

DF should, however, be able make things dangerous enough to lead several different ending-like scenarios. At the moment we only got HFS.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 01:47:27 pm »

Keep in mind the last long-cycle release brought us a whole 3rd dimension to play with.

The 4th dimension!   :o

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 02:30:11 pm »

The 4th dimension!   :o

That would be awsome!!!!
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 02:38:13 pm »

The fourth dimension is often thought of as time, and we've had that for quite a while.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:06 pm »

...Fith? Sixth?

I am now actually frightened excited to see what would happen if Toady did put these in.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »

...Fith? Sixth?

I am now actually frightened excited to see what would happen if Toady did put these in.
String theory in my DF?

WANT

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 01:31:06 am »

I don't get what the problem is with save-breaking changes, who cares to be honest. I start a new fort with new versions anyways, so that I can have that new fresh feeling with all the advantages of the new features or fixes. This is after all, an Alpha.

If you are concerned about keeping your fort, no one is stopping you from using old versions. Heck some people still play the 2D versions.

It'd absolutely jump at the chance to play new versions.

Would be overkill of course if the save breakers were weekly, if they were only monthly then everything is fine.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 02:22:57 am »

I usually start fresh with each new version, too. But I think Toady has mentioned several times that he wants the game to get to the point where players have real and compelling reasons to keep playing the same fortress/world, and I think he wants to get to that point much sooner than later. Thus his attempt at clearing as many save breakers as possible this time around.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »

Not so much the same fortress as the same world, I think. From the impressions I got, he wants there to be more Fun, and then have the ruins of the fortress and its history be meaningfully inserted into the story line. I get the impression he wants to make a game which is more like playing through (and in the process creating) the entire history of Middle Earth than playing king of Minas Tirith.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2009, 01:13:53 pm »

Somewhen it will be 4th-dimensional.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:23 pm »

I usually start fresh with each new version, too. But I think Toady has mentioned several times that he wants the game to get to the point where players have real and compelling reasons to keep playing the same fortress/world, and I think he wants to get to that point much sooner than later. Thus his attempt at clearing as many save breakers as possible this time around.

Which is rather pointless if updates come year+ apart. If it takes that long, you hardly need save compatibility because people already got enough time to get sick of their world and current fortress.

Not to mention that new version might not break save compatibility technically, but will still result in broken save anyway:

If, say, new game version did nothing but introduce hauling wagons, people would likely abandon fortresses because their tunnel and workshop layout would not allow this feature used as fortress would have to be designed with three (or even six) tile wide coridors and ramps instead of stairs.

This is more extreme example, but generally, to get best from new version, you want to restart and build fortress with new features in mind.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 04:32:42 pm »

Which is rather pointless if updates come year+ apart.
Which is rather uncommon.  The only other time that's happened that I know of was the 2d-3d shift.  If you just look at the list of old versions and compare it to how long Toady has been working on it, you'll see that they actually come out somewhat frequently.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2]