Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flux stone requires fuel despite magma?  (Read 783 times)

tme321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Flux stone requires fuel despite magma?
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:26:04 am »

I'm new here, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything related to this.  Sorry if it's already been discussed.  But anyway, I'm running the newest version, 40d, and I was wondering if this was a bug or an intended feature of the game.

I am on a map that has plenty of flux (dolomite if it matters) and iron (hematite).  Early on I had no problem making tons of steel stuff through charcoal fuel.  I found a magma pipe and now have lots of magma forges and smelters.  However, my magma smelters still require 1 unit of fuel (charcoal in this case) to make pig iron, and 1 to make steel.  What I mean is, if I have no coal in my fortress and I go to the smelters I do not have the option to make pig iron or steel.  If I create some charcoal from wood at a wood furnace I then have the option to make pig iron and steel.

Is this working as intended?  I figured that magma would solve all my fuel needs, but as it stands now I still need fuel of some kind to keep a steel economy going.  I thought magma was supposed to replace other forms of fuel.  Keep in mind that I am positive my magma smelters and forges are correctly placed, because I can make non-steel materials for no fuel cost to my hears desire as long as I have the components.

Any idea what is going on?  Am I doing something wrong?  Did I just miss how this is supposed to work?  Thanks for any help.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flux stone requires fuel despite magma?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:31:56 am »

As intended. The fuel provides the carbon needed for steel while flux allows the iron and carbon to mix.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:25:33 am »

In other words, making pig iron and steel uses coal as an ingredient, not as fuel. Back in the old 2D version, making steel at a non-magma forge actually required 2 units of coal (one as ingredient, one as fuel), though the 3D version seems to allow a single unit of coal to serve both purposes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:47 am »

Steel is expensive, no?