Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans and migrants arriving on an island?  (Read 523 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Caravans and migrants arriving on an island?
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:28:08 pm »

Started a fortress on an island that is one world tile away from the mainland.  No bridge or underocean mine to connect to the mainland yet.  I did, however, extend the fortress's boundary to include a smidgen of the mainland so I could build a bridge to it.  Dwarven caravan arrived in the fall from the southern edge of my map, same with migrants the following spring, somehow.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Caravans and migrants arriving on an island?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:27 am »

Dwarven caravans and migrants will always arrive as long as there is dry land at the edge of your embark region. If your island is small enough (or your embark region large enough) so that the entire edge of the map is underwater, you will never get any migrants.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans and migrants arriving on an island?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:29:31 am »

Also, it is possible to bridge an island with the mainland by embarking in a zone that connects them. You don't need a physical bridge; if you abandon immediately and use part of the island again you will notice that civilizations previously only present on the mainland are also present on the island now. Your old fortress' territory is now recognized by the game as a connecting section of land.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.