Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Restoration of Ages, an AoR Variant. (1 City Going, Still Accepting Players)  (Read 11321 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neruz I'd like to play, I can't access the interactive map from work (or pretty much any hosting site :() but should be able to at home so can probably still manage multiple turns a week so I don't think that will slow us down :)

RedWarrior0 I'll join your city if that is okay?

Neruz as we will have to stay underground how much labour will mining exploratory tunnels to an adjacent local hex take?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

Considering that it will be your only way around, for the Deep Dwarves i think 1 Labour, 1 Tools and 1 Turn to tunnel into a solid rock square and make it passable\usable.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

So, who assigns the 520 unassigned people? The king?

Pretty much, though there's no point assigning people until you have 1000 of them; any less conveys no bonus.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems to me the king should get all new labor, and assign it as he sees fit. If we feel that we're being treated unfairly, we have in-game methods for dealing with out feelings.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My only problems with the turn:
1. I said I'd stored slings in my warehouse, not bows.
2. You didn't tell me that the starting soldiers didn't come with their weapons!

Edit: What effect does the barracks have?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:22:44 pm by Archangel »
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Deep Dwarves are a more unique, specialized civ. There would probably be more limited working positions, especially earlier on.

Examples from the incomplete Jobs section ("He" will be used, though "she" is also possible):

Lord of the Diggers: This is an influential position. The LotD commands the large-scale mining projects, and no new tunnels can be dug without his permission. He does not, however, deal with produced resources; his main objective is to dig the tunnels as needed. He does command a small regiment of soldiers to hold off golems and other such creatures found in the depths.

Lord of Earthwork: Lord of Earthwork is a position that basically deals with the leftovers from the Diggers. He has the minerals and ores in the stone removed and processed, and he controls any masonry projects. He also has control over excavation of secondary rooms and complexes, such as those used for housing.

Lord of the Minerals: Lord of the Minerals has control over what Earthwork leaves behind. He deals with smelting of ores, metalworking, forges, magma operations, gemcrafting, and other such arts. He also has command over the decoration and furnishing of secondary rooms and complexes.

Lord of Defenders: Lord of Defenders is a role given to one of the hardiest Deep Dwarves. When golems, demons, or other such forces are more powerful than the Diggers' forward regiment, he brings in his powerful dwarves to protect the city.

Lord of Engineers: This job is two-faceted. The Lord of Engineers deals with mechanics and research. He makes sure that any mechanical works in the city are maintained and keeps checks on the structure of the tunnels due to the ever-present risk of collapse.

Lord of the People: This job deals with everything needed to keep the people alive and happy. The Lord of the People makes sure wells connected to rivers are maintained, food is in good production, and other such necessities.

Again, these are examples and an incomplete list.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

My only problems with the turn:
1. I said I'd stored slings in my warehouse, not bows.
2. You didn't tell me that the starting soldiers didn't come with their weapons!

Edit: What effect does the barracks have?

I could have sworn you said 2 bows. My bad.

And of course they do; the soldiers are just unarmed soldiers, they change their description depending on what you give them remember?

Soldiers that do not have a Barracks to sleep in suffer Morale penalties and gain Squalour.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I demand that this live!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

Looks like it's dead.

I think AoR might be a bit too complex for a forum game, which is a pity; it'd work bloody great as a putar game though.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile

I would like to suggest something before we call this dead.

Write up the second turn, making those who haven't posted actions do something useful. If people see that this is being updated it might breathe some life back into it.

I think the idea has potential so I'd hate to see this end without a bit of a fight.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of Ages, an AoR Variant. (1 City Going, Still Accepting Players)
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2009, 04:25:02 am »

Hopefully it's not dead, I can't really do much though as RedWarrior0 and myself don't have a city (or enough players for one).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of Ages, an AoR Variant. (1 City Going, Still Accepting Players)
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2009, 04:33:03 am »

I don't want to let the idea die; it's a good idea, but i think it needs a bit of work yet. I think i'll take it back to the drawing board for now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2009, 05:14:22 am »

If I may make a couple suggestions...

I've been watching this game with some interest, because I like the concept of these "Age of Restoration" games and this cooperative effort one in particular, but I've never had the will to join one because of all the expectation about roleplaying and crap.  How about a city building game that's about the city building?

And as for inactivity, as I understood it from the concept of multiple people building one city, that would mean that not everyone would have to do something every turn.  Instead, their aspect of the city would just carry on it's drudgery, not doing anything interesting until they return.  And in cases like RedWarrior0, players who want their own separate thing and then never show up again, just cut him loose and continue.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:34 am »

The main problem i have with this is keeping track of everything; the first turn took me the better part of two hours to get going, and i still missed a couple of things, i imagine that it would rapidly get out of hand as the game progressed.

What i think i really need, is some sort of digital helper program to help me keep track of everything; i'll look into doing something proper (instead of my silly flash i have atm) when i have some spare time in a week or two.

I agree with you on the RP aspect too Aqizzar.

Like i said; drawing board. I'm not willing to drop this concept just yet as i'm sure i can get it to work, all my game designer senses are tingling; this is a valid concept, i just need to work out how to do it properly.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2009, 06:13:35 am »

Yes, if I have any advice to give after letting Evolution and Angry Red Planet crash and burn, it's that you absolutely have to know what you're doing beforehand.  If I were you, I wouldn't try to calculate and write up a whole turn in one sitting.  In both of those games, I had fourteen players and each took me about an hour to handle.  What started off as an awesome concept became a weekly chore.  Limiting how much you need to do and breaking it up over time will go a long way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8