Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Restoration of Ages, an AoR Variant. (1 City Going, Still Accepting Players)  (Read 11332 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm.

My humble suggestions.

Race: Hardy Humans.
They are just humans. But then hardy.

Backstory:
Once upon a time, humanity lived happily in their little cities. They coexisted with other races in harmony. Naturally there were some small wars, but nothing major.
Then there was the disaster.
Everything was destroyed. Millions died. The disaster was followed up by smaller disasters; earthquakes, volcanoes, giant storms, planar rips, and many more.
And from the smoking wreckage of the world emerged the survivors. The world then was still suffering; minor disasters happened constantly, and otherworldly beings ran rampant. The survivors banded together into small tribes, who fled around, slowly regaining the skills they had lost.
Eventually, the world began to calm down. The otherworldly beings returned to their homes, died naturally, or killed each other with infighting. The disasters became less frequent, with some volcanoes not erupting for years on end. And so the tribes people began to settle. They cleared away the ashes from the fields and planted crops. They cut down long dead trees and built houses and workshops. They mined stone and built walls to protect from the remaining beasts. And as they did, life returned to the world. Ash was washed into the soil, and the provided fertility led to a booming in plantlife. Animals on the brink of extinction multiplied wildly with the new food sources.
And the new, tougher humanity stood ready to rebuild.

Bonuses:
+Hardy Workers. 1 point. +25% labour (so 4000 dudes produce 5 labour)
Humans in the new world are stronger, faster, and more determined than their ancestors. Every man has to and wants to work hard to survive. So they get up earlier and go to bed later, and work harder in between.

+Proudly Independent. 1 point (2?). -25% food required (so 4000 dudes require 3 food)
The survivors have always had to be careful with food. The next meal could not be for days, so their bodies adapted, to turn digested food into fat first, and only once the body had a fat reserve did it start to take energy from food. They also learned how to find food anywhere, and to how to disguise the taste and sight of 'anywhere food'. And they are proud of it, and just because food is usually available now does not mean they will waste their skills.

+Fast Adaptors. 2 points. Higher research speed when facing problems (example: There is starvation. Research into food-related technology is faster)
When the disaster happened, those who could not adapt died. Since the disaster humanity has had to face constantly changing environments and many new threats. Those who survive are adapt at facing problems and coming up with solutions to them.

City: New Hope
New Hope is the aptly named site of the rebuild of humanity. It was founded, allegedly, by Sam the first. Sam was wandering through the wilderness, lost, starving, thirsty, and injured, when a light shone upon him, and guided him to the shores of a small lake. Sam jumped into the lake, drank, washed, and caught fish. When he was fed and rested, he realised what had happened, and looked round to thank the light. The light was nowhere to be seen, but as Sam looked round he realised what a paradise he had stumbled upon. The lake he stood by was surrounded by rich, green forests. On the western bank was a large clearing, where wild animals grazed at the long grass. A stream fed the lake from the north, snaking through hills, down from the mountains further up.
Sam ran home to his tribe, and led them to the lakeside. The tribes people agreed that the site was amazing, and they set to work building a settlement on the western shore. Many tribes joined them and Sam declared himself King Sam the First of New Hope, the name given to the swiftly growing city.
As the city grew, lost skills and technologies were remembered; boat building, farming, the wheel, bow and arrows, animal taming. At the time of play, metal working, using sample ores gathered from the northern mountains, is on the point of being discovered.

Biome:
I have made a handy image!
Spoiler: Handy! (click to show/hide)
The city is the epitome of what what overpowered because who cares if our neighbours are balanced to us until we expand?
Indeed, I suggest having ore in the high mountains, marble in the low mountains, and a herd of horsies running about the shrubland.
We want action fast. We don't want to have to send out expeditions to get a little metal, or catch us some pack animals. Huzzah!

Other stuff:

Government: Monarch in charge of a still basically tribal society.
Neighbours: Some tribal people still about. Maybe some other human settlements.
Possible dangers: Other races come raiding. Some monster comes killing. Another human settlement becomes powerful and goes to war with us.
Tech level: Just got metal working.

My role: I'll wait until we pick a race and city.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll second Nuke's suggestion, if the lake has a large river (traversable by medium-sized ships) leading out to sea.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It does. Although the city folk haven't scouted it all the way to the sea. Or maybe they have. I don't know, how much of the surrounding terrain we know is up to Neruz. But the lake must have a river coming out of it, or there would be swamps around it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

I hate to be a grammer nazi, but... "Ruels"? Unless of course it's intentional...

It's entirely intentional.

Also looks like we have enough people to start. We have some rather good race suggestions so far, but i'm going to need some sort of majority to decide, so far i think NUKE's Hardy Humans are winning with 2 votes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'd suggest Mii'Ari, but then I'd have to write the backstory for them. Which is less stable than an overclocked nuclear reactor currently.

(Also, if "ruels" is intentional, you let one slip in the last sentence.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:15:10 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

It depends on how i feel.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I second Nirur's suggestion.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile

I'm voting for Nuke's idea, seems like a good one to me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

Looks like you're playing Hardy Humans!

Time to work out your jobs. Ovbiously as a Monarchy you'll have a King, but the specifics of what each role does and any other roles are up to you gies.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:02:34 pm by Neruz »

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Commander of the Watch or a General.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to be the Minister of Water Affairs. Fishing, ship building, and eventual navy admiral. Hopefully we'll invent airships one day, just 'cause I like zeppelins.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile

So we're looking at;

Monarch: City treasury, Diplomacy, Anything Else. Starts with 6000 people.
General: Starts with 2 military units and 1000 people. 1x Warehouse
Minister of Water Affairs: Controls fishing, ship building and navies. Starts with 3000 people and 2x Warehouse.
Head of Construction: Controls all non-specific construction. Starts with 3000 people and 2x Warehouse.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:10:47 pm by Neruz »

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Head of Construction

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whats considered Non-Specific Construction?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Weapon Design Researcher: Designs better weapons. Nuff said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8