Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: This sounds strange but...  (Read 28261 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: This sounds strange but...
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2009, 01:47:14 pm »

Hmmm...

It's the same up here in th'north of england, a school near me at least. All the children there are Dicks. Virtually all of the bastards. Though, there are a few Non-Morons, but they are few and far between.

I'm either a teacher, or a student there. You decide.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2009, 03:55:07 pm »

Public school was basically a training ground for passive-aggressive and aggressive-aggressive douchebaggery.  Then I spent my four years of high school at a private Christian school and it was a hundred times better.  I was friends with pretty much everyone there.  Even my mutual enemies were cool.  It was weird.

Except the last year.  My senior year was also the school's last year, as it was running out of money.  They're starting to get back on their feet now, but very limited classes.  Anyway, most of the students forgot that their permanent record would transfer wherever they went after the school closed, and just slacked off and acted retarded the last year of school.
Shoes...

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »

Yes, American children are incredibly evil.  It doesn't help that the school system is bad at controlling them, and parents feel like they can't reprimand their children's friends for horrible behavior (because then the parents would get angry that someone is "mistreating their little angel").

No kidding. It doesn't help that we have some of the lowest educational standards in the world, and probably the most self-centered culture in the world. Doesn't help that we try to cure every behavioral issue with counselling and meds, rather than actual punishment.

Also, our middle and high school educational standards are so disgustingly low, and the Department of Education just keeps lowering them so that all the kids who don't work can pass. Then, we try and solve it by flinging more and more tax dollars at the schools, rather than trying to hire semi-competent teachers.

Believe me, it's not all about money. My school gets significantly less money per student than most other schools in my state, and our standardized test scores are off the charts.

I could continue this rant against our crappy-as-hell educational system, but I seriously doubt that anyone would read it, and I don't want to be blamed any worse for the massive derail that's taking place.

Anyways, to the OP, don't wait until she's alone to ask her out. It's not going to happen, girls are almost always surrounded by their friends. Just walk up to her, smile, ask if you can talk to her in private for a minute, then walk a little ways away from her friends and ask her. Just say something like, "You know, I really like you, and I'd love it if you would go out with me." Be sincere. And be sure to SMILE!! It will make it less uncomfortable for her.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 09:02:19 pm »

I am not evil. I am a good person. And smart. And not obese. I am the opposite of the stereotypical American.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 09:08:22 pm »

where I live our schools dont have any money
my school doesnt have air conditioning ,heating and there are 750 lockers for 940 kids
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 09:23:58 pm »

Well, I guess that would be a different situation than the one that I was thinking of. You need money for basic facilities, of course.

I'm just mad at all of the schools in my town that are basically just like bottomless pits for money, they complain that their computer labs are more than 2 years old and that their students don't get the newest edition of whatever textbook every year. And all the schools that take a huge chunk of money to build an extra gymnasium or something like that when half their kids are failing the PSAT. Hard.

Honestly, sports aren't the reason that you're at school. Sports are good and all, but if the standard of education is low, they shouldn't be allowed to continue. I think that schools should receive money based upon their academic performance.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 10:56:19 pm »

I'm not sure how much school in the USA differ from those up here in Canada -- the school I'm attending right now is atrocious.
It was closed down a few months ago after a few reports of respiratory problems arising in students. Some rumors about asbestos, though they're probably false.
After it was shut down, they needed to put the students somewhere, so they sent them to the closest high-school. This means that instead of attending school during normal hours, we attend from 1PM-5:30PM. The high-school's facilities are better equipped, somewhat. Students are still ridiculously far behind. I was in a gifted program for a few years when I lived on the other side of the country -- there aren't any such programs here, so maybe that's what's causing my bias.

Some of the stuff we're doing right now, 2+ months into the school year:
Adding, Subtracting, Multiplying, and Dividing Fractions, Integers, and Exponents
Defining Rational Numbers and Whole Numbers.
Mental Math Strategies
Using Scientific Notation

Maybe it's just me, but this stuff is elementary. It's things that should be taught in Grade 5, not 9.
I'd love to say that the curriculum doesn't push the students hard enough and that the board of education underestimates the students, but I see students actually struggling with these topics. The education system as a whole isn't strict enough. I have some 4 repeaters in my class this year, which is ridiculous. These are people who completely ignore lessons and refuse to do work, acting surprised when they fail.

The entire situation alternates between annoying me and amusing me.
[/thread derail]

As for the topic, I suggest figuring out her interests (be it via Facebook, MySpace, what-have-you) and researching them to a great extent. Then whenever engaging in idle conversation with her, you can be sure to have plenty to talk about. If she already likes you things should be pretty easy anyways, though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:29 pm »

Yes, American children are incredibly evil.  It doesn't help that the school system is bad at controlling them, and parents feel like they can't reprimand their children's friends for horrible behavior (because then the parents would get angry that someone is "mistreating their little angel").

No kidding. It doesn't help that we have some of the lowest educational standards in the world, and probably the most self-centered culture in the world. Doesn't help that we try to cure every behavioral issue with counselling and meds, rather than actual punishment.

Strangely enough, I've actually had something of the opposite experience--parents who took the advice "keep the kid away from psychologists as long as possible" when I was young to its natural extreme.  Now I'm in college, my mood swings are getting a lot worse, and I have almost no social skills.  What I got in return?  "A unique perspective on life."  Thanks a lot, dudes.

Lesson: Everything in moderation.

To the OP: Don't be too offended if the girl in question starts laughing or something, by the way.  It doesn't necessarily mean she hates you.  Some girls laugh because they can't believe someone would ask them out, or as a nervous reaction.

Also, if it works, I strongly suggest open and explicit communication.  If you're pissing each other off, talking is required.  It amazes me how often I see relationships going down the tubes thanks to neglect of this one simple fact.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:48 am »

I've never seen a psychologist.
That kind of makes them sound like some rare beast, actually.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2009, 11:30:49 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:13:03 pm by Stany »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »

Ok Guys, back to the Proper Discussion.

Today, I seem to have screwed it up
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »

/Facepalm.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2009, 12:08:06 pm »

Seconded.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2009, 12:25:22 pm »

Well, I need advice on how to get her to talk to me again.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2009, 12:39:40 pm »

What did you do to screw it up?

Do you actually like her, or is she just a general acquaintance? If the latter nothing, it'll blow over eventually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20