Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: your dwarfyest trap and their name  (Read 3836 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
your dwarfyest trap and their name
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:28 pm »

post your dwarfiest trap.

mine was the "Death Rose". four drawbriges arranged to come together when the lever was pulled, crushing anything left inside. when you let it out, it crushes whatever is underneath.

I built twelve.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: your dwarfyest trap and their name
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:13:03 pm »

The Maze of Inevitable Despair

Code: [Select]
-----+++++++++++++++-----
-----+-------------+-----
-----+--++++++++++-+-----
-----+--+--------+-+-----
-----+--+-++++++-+-+-----
-----+--+-+----+-+-+-----
-----+--+-+-<+-+-+-+-----
-----+--+-+--+-+-+-+-----
-----+--+-++++-+-+-+-----
-----+--+------+-+-+-----
-----+--++++++++-+-+-----
-----+-----------+-+-----
-----+++++++++++++-+-----
-------------------1-----
-------------------2-----
-------------------3-----
-------------------X-----

+ = floor with retracted spikes
- = wall
< = ramp
1 = Activate spikes
2 = Flooding switch
3 = Weapon trap with 10 serrated steel discs 
X = Door

The real one is bigger, but this one is already a PITA to draw.
I also tend to chain traps, like sticking a ballista at the end of each corridor, making it open to marksdorf target practice, or collapsing the whole thing should someone manage to make it to the end.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:19:52 pm by Blaze »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:39:23 pm »

The Maze of Inevitable Despair

Code: [Select]
-----+++++++++++++++-----
-----+-------------+-----
-----+--++++++++++-+-----
-----+--+--------+-+-----
-----+--+-++++++-+-+-----
-----+--+-+----+-+-+-----
-----+--+-+-<+-+-+-+-----
-----+--+-+--+-+-+-+-----
-----+--+-++++-+-+-+-----
-----+--+------+-+-+-----
-----+--++++++++-+-+-----
-----+-----------+-+-----
-----+++++++++++++-+-----
-------------------1-----
-------------------2-----
-------------------3-----
-------------------X-----

+ = floor with retracted spikes
- = wall
< = ramp
1 = Activate spikes
2 = Flooding switch
3 = Weapon trap with 10 serrated steel discs 
X = Door

The real one is bigger, but this one is already a PITA to draw.
I also tend to chain traps, like sticking a ballista at the end of each corridor, making it open to marksdorf target practice, or collapsing the whole thing should someone manage to make it to the end.
Oh snap. That's like, one of Armok's hells.
Needs more cage traps.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »

I haven't actually built it yet. but find a river with carp in it... put the only entrance to your fortress during siege time parallel to it... channel and put a floodgate in between. place a pressure plate... link it to the iron floodgates on each end of the room and the floodgate to the river.

and shazam. you've turned the demon onto the enemy.

(then build another floodgate connected to a lever... with a grate behind it to act as a drain. once you've drained the room and air drown the fish. shazam! you have a plentiful supply of meat and if you want a reservoir of non-carp infested water!)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 08:12:34 pm »

The Bear Trap.

Spoiler: Hidden Fun Stuff (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

No bears survived, or no clowns?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:45:17 pm »

Taken from my Wavehandle fort POI:

Quote from: Trap/Gate Control Room
Welcome to my 4th attempt at a fortress, it started out as an attempt as an experimental design fortress to use for future templates. Oddly enough, it's my first successful fort, thus far. No full-blown royalty yet (Duke/Duchess, King/Queen). :/

I'm welcome to new ideas to toss in.

BTW, I've already gone a long way since this fort began. I assume it's the 4th-7th year. I lost track. Nonetheless, it's functional and my dwarves are happy, and that's what matters for now.
Point of Interest: Trap/Gate Control Room

Rather self-explanatory.

However, I'll explain the "Indiana Urist Nightmare Hall" deathtrap.

1- You are welcomed with a nice little door
2- A handful of cage traps await the brave
3- A run of boulders
4- A crossbow awaits at the corner
(Repeat 3 & 4)
5- A mega shredder (consisting of 10-odd bladed weapons awaits)
6- (Open) A "We're no longer interested in your raid." sign, complete with a dwarf flipping off the invaders when closed, floodgate stands.
7- And an final axe/guillotine doorway stands after the final step into the control room.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that I have a Stray Black Bear welcoming new vic--er-visitors with open arms in there too?

As an added bonus, the invaders also get a nice helping of eye candy before getting mercilessly killed by the traps.
- Itnetlolor
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:48:13 pm by Itnetlolor »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:38 pm »

Taken from my Wavehandle fort POI:

Quote from: Trap/Gate Control Room
Welcome to my 4th attempt at a fortress, it started out as an attempt as an experimental design fortress to use for future templates. Oddly enough, it's my first successful fort, thus far. No full-blown royalty yet (Duke/Duchess, King/Queen). :/

I'm welcome to new ideas to toss in.

BTW, I've already gone a long way since this fort began. I assume it's the 4th-7th year. I lost track. Nonetheless, it's functional and my dwarves are happy, and that's what matters for now.
Point of Interest: Trap/Gate Control Room

Rather self-explanatory.

However, I'll explain the "Indiana Urist Nightmare Hall" deathtrap.

1- You are welcomed with a nice little door
2- A handful of cage traps await the brave
3- A run of boulders
4- A crossbow awaits at the corner
(Repeat 3 & 4)
5- A mega shredder (consisting of 10-odd bladed weapons awaits)
6- (Open) A "We're no longer interested in your raid." sign, complete with a dwarf flipping off the invaders when closed, floodgate stands.
7- And an final axe/guillotine doorway stands after the final step into the control room.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that I have a Stray Black Bear welcoming new vic--er-visitors with open arms in there too?

As an added bonus, the invaders also get a nice helping of eye candy before getting mercilessly killed by the traps.
- Itnetlolor

Bah, regular weapon traps are so duuuuuuull. Now if you rigged up some falling supports to use weapon traps against [trAPIMMUNE] orcs, that's something. Giant atom smashers of doom are something. Booze grenades are something. Weapon traps? That's amateur stuff.

My best isn't much. It's a courtyard with balconies surrounding it with marksdwarves stationed there. The parapet is lined with bolts though, so they can easily run off full sieges without ever once presenting a target. I also have melee troops, the marksdwarves are just more fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shadowics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:03:42 am »

My (almost) Perfect Defense - Freeze Trap!

Complicated, and Magma involved. What more could dwarves ask for?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:01:24 am by Shadowics »

Syzgyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:38:14 am »

My (almost) Perfect Defense - Freeze Trap!

Complicated, and Magma involved. What more could dwarves ask for?

A working URL might be nice.  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37562.0 for everyone else.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:14:19 am »

My dwarfyest trap was the orbital magma cannon. Linked to a pipe with a WHOLE LOTTA PUMPS!!!
That monster filled up a giant network of bauxite bridges and other stuff, at the highest level of the map. I had an entire set of crew men with rooms, recreation areas, food stockpiles, (and pumped up water) JUST to drop the massive amounts of magma on command *U*

seriously. I gave the word, and an entire square (of which there were approximated 25) made by the grid was suddenly reduced to a magma hell. It was magnificent.

Now I'm working on the SUPER BRIDGE OF DOOM! It's a special long set of bridges inside a pair of walls. The end result? retract them when the invasion is over them... at 5-10 z levels above the ground... It is magnificent if I do say so myself.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 08:50:34 am »

My best Trap involved a Fortress that contained both an Artifact Steel Serrated disc, AND an Artifact Mechanism.

I used both in a weapon trap and piled in 9 other steel Serrated discs...

The first time I got to watch a Goblin walk over it... he simply "Exploded"
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:33:58 am »

Ah, the doom bridge.  Not an original or clever name, but so far the most effective and trouble-free siege defense I've ever built.

Before reaching my main fortress (a green glass above-ground megaproject) visitors must pass over series of ten 3X10 copper bridges end-to-end.  The space under the bridges is not tiled out, as you might expect, but is smoothly tiled over with marble.  The ground on either side of the bridges is channeled out, three tiles wide by ten deep.

This trap takes advantage of the fact that retracting bridges throw creatures up to 3 squares when they retract or extend.  When a siege arrives, a dwarf pulls the lever activating a water-powered fast repeater.  All ten copper bridges automatically retract and extend every 100 steps.  Because the bridges are placed flat on solid ground, a clear path always exists between the intruders and my fortress, avoiding the whole problem with invaders stopping in confusion to re-pathfind.  They never stop running into the trap entrance, but the bridge path is long enough that they can never make it far before being flung off the bridge to fall to their doom.

Recently I added on two side corridors, each one tile wide, running along the outer sides of the drop pits.  These have pressure plates triggering 1X10 tile retracting bridges, and set up to lure wandering animals, thieves, babysnatchers and ambushes to their doom automatically throughout the year.  It's always amusing to see a pressure plate trip and bridge retract for no apparent reason, followed by the sudden appearance of previously-invisible goblin corpses at the bottom of the pits.

It's not as amusing or dwarfy as the corridor of flame trap I built once with pumps, lava, and grates, and would probably be looked down on by purists as being too easy of a way of killing hundreds of orcs a year.  But with a megaproject to build I can't afford to dedicate half my population to military, and the orcs give me the unlimited metal supply I'll need.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:24:48 am »

A simple drowning chamber. I built my aboveground keep so that it just barely contains my central staircase.

So on the west side it's

Outside>Wall>Center Stairs. Along the wall is 4 3x10 bridges, with the ground channeled out under them. Invaders have to walk down this path to get to the entrance to my fort in the north.

When levers 1&2 are pulled, bridges on the ends retract, blocking the area. Lever 3 fills the area with water. Lever 4 is connected to the 4 big bridges. Below is a large empty chamber.

So, enemies enter the trap. They are trapped in, drowned, and then the fourth lever is pulled and everything falls into a big area about 5 feet from my center staircase. The water spreads across the area and evaporates, my dwarves drag the stuff to the nearby good stockpiles in complete safety.

Once I work out how to deal with the extra I'll add magma capabilities to the thing, then it will deserve to be called the Death of Frost and Flame.

Runner up I think is when I made the second entrance to my fort also my obsidian farm. Encasing enemies in carbonite was awesome and all but I never got it working as well as I would like.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 11:53:34 am by Tirin »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:45:15 am »

I set up a pair of spiketraps with 5 menacing wooden spikes each in my entrance ... they're a "dwarven trap" because they were linked to a single lever and when you set this lever to "repeat" a dwarf runs over and cranks it like crazy, unleasing death and hell.

So far it has impaled one of my farmers, nothing more.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2 3