Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cowboy mod (Why hasn't it been done?)  (Read 2254 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Cowboy mod (Why hasn't it been done?)
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:34:11 pm »

This idea just struck me out of nowhere, but wouldn't a cowboy mod be good?

Imagine, a harsh western fortress, where the only law is the gun and lawless goblin bandits rob banks and towns merciless.

Tumbleweeds, six shooters, cowboy goblins, Native kobolds. It's Brilliant!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy mod (Why hasn't it been done?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:59 pm »

Elves seem more native American than kobolds.

Not that it makes this idea any less awesome. Now deliver content, oh content creator!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:00:55 pm »

I support this idea and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Also known as Zuhayr.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »

Strangely that's actually the only way I can think of to make elves cool.  Cool cultures, dude.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:39 pm »

Strangely that's actually the only way I can think of to make elves cool.  Cool cultures, dude.
Indeed, that is why I like DF elves. They are so similar to a cool culture that I can't help but see them as awesome cannibalistic native American tribes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:17:25 pm »

Not that it makes this idea any less awesome. Now deliver content, oh content creator!

Well... I can't mod worth crap. I'm just getting the idea out there in hopes of a divine bandit-slaying messiah delivering us to the west.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:31 pm »

Quote from: Moghopper
Well... I can't mod worth crap. I'm just getting the idea out there in hopes of a divine bandit-slaying messiah delivering us to the west.

I'll give it a go later on today, when I finish with my current mod.  I'm not going to put together graphics, though, I already have more than enough of those waiting.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:32:40 am »

Nah you're just lazy to try :). Modding is easier than to write on these boards.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:07 am »

Here you go!  Copy the raws in the objects folder into raws/objects and put world_gen.txt into data/init.  I advise playing this mod using the WASTELAND worldgen saved in that file. 

I haven't really tested this and it's pretty much just a cosmetic mod - I added a single new race each for goblins, elves and dwarves.  Westdwarves are smaller but hardier, sandgoblins are ALSO smaller and hardier, and feral elves have revolvers, no neg damblock, and use metal.

New items are: tomahawks, rifles and headdresses for the elves (more for the sake of something new than a legitimate attempt to emulate native Americans), sandgoblins and dwarves both get revolvers, rifles, shotguns, kerchiefs, bandanas, Stensons (black and white!), riding boots, spurs, buckskins and long-sleeved shirts.  Dorfs also get harmonicas and knucklebones.  I've also played with the biomes and ethics a bit.

There's now a tumbleweed vermin creature.  Should be a yellow @ symbol, but I didn't spot it while I was playing.

Let me know if there are any horrible bugs or if you think something needs to be altered.
Also known as Zuhayr.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:46:23 am »

Have you made any changes to armor? I'm thinking there should only be leather vests and Boiler plates (worn under the shirt). Plus no armor for other body parts, except maybe leather boots.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:55:45 am by moghopper »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:23 am »

I removed some clothing, but I don't think I removed armour.  It didn't seen dorfish to get rid of platemail.  I even left the [METAL] tag on the cowboy hats. >_<
Also known as Zuhayr.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:15 am »

I removed some clothing, but I don't think I removed armour.  It didn't seen dorfish to get rid of platemail.  I even left the [METAL] tag on the cowboy hats. >_<

So... their wearing metal hats?

having armor the way i suggested would be more western-y, but i guess the armor i suggested would be more suited to the humans of the mod.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:05 am »

You're perfectly free to alter the raws yourself, y'know.  It's not difficult at all to add or remove items.
Also known as Zuhayr.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:16:09 am »

You're perfectly free to alter the raws yourself, y'know.  It's not difficult at all to add or remove items.

I'm not criticizing what you've done. In fact I like it quite a bit. I just mentioned this because you asked for some suggestions.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:20:38 am »

Heh, sorry if I came across snappy.  I just meant that if you and I differ in approach you're allowed to mod the mod, as it were.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: [1] 2 3