Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 2 Discussion  (Read 12427 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Challenge 2 Discussion
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »

Greetings, players! I am, Jim Groovester, player extraordinaire (sic) and moderator of this new community game. With thanks to Solifuge for letting me use the name, I present:

The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges!

The purpose of The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges is to provide players with a series of maps where the goal will be to complete a challenge instead of building a fortress. The emphasis will be on improving player skill and creativity in solving a variety of problems rather than building megaprojects and running a successful fortress.

Do you have what it takes to compete? Do you think you can butt heads with the finest players this side of the Bay12Games forums? If you think you do, then compete in The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges!

Next Challenge: Forthcoming

Be patient. You'll be agonizing soon enough.

Rules

In the same vein as the Dwarf Fortress Masters' Competition, a group of players will play a map to complete a certain challenge. Unlike the Dwarf Fortress Masters' Competition, the map will have a short-term goal to complete rather than the long-term goal of building a fortress.

I will provide one save file containing a map and one set of raws to be used with the map. You are forbidden to edit these raws in any way. If relevant, I will post required init.txt settings that must also be used on that map.

Players will have approximately two weeks to complete each challenge. The deadline for each challenge will rest on the Monday after the second weekend, when a new challenge will be posted. I don't expect that the challenges will take two weeks to complete, but flexibility is useful in these cases.

You are absolutely forbidden from using third party tools. Exceptions can be made if convincing arguments are provided. (Utilities that let you manage labor more efficiently, for example, can probably be allowed, so long as they are not used to make children haul or anything else that changes the game.)

You are forbidden from savescumming. The challenge must be played from beginning to completion with one contiguous save. Restarting the challenge fresh is allowed, if it proves too difficult and you wish to start over, or you want to improve your score.

Judging

There will be no judging by external judges. Player score will be tabulated by the player, and by the Honor System. If you decide to cheat, you will have to justify your score to the other players, who will likely be very suspicious of your "accomplishment". As the goal is to improve player skill and problem solving, if you decide to cheat, you will only be cheating yourself.

Completion of the main challenge will earn you ten (10) points. Because completing the main challenge is required to be considered for the title of "winner", its score value is thus completely arbitrary and totally irrelevant. Completing secondary and tertiary challenges will earn you more points, depending on the difficulty of each additional challenge. The "winner" of each challenge will be the player who accumulates the most points.

I reserve the right to add challenges to the map at will, and I reserve the right to grant points to players ex post facto on whatever basis I feel like, so long as it has to do with the map.

Once you have finished a challenge, please post in bold and in large text "SUBMISSION", along with your points total, to draw attention to the fact you wished to be considered for the title of "winner" of a challenge.

Suggestions

I'd be hard pressed to think of a new challenge every two weeks, so I encourage you to think of fiendishly difficult scenarios that you would love to inflict on other players. If you have a terrific idea for a torturous scenario, I will accept suggestions, to maps, to even prepackaged saves and raws that you provide to me.

There is no ban on mods, so if you think of some horribly difficult scenario in Legendary Lands, for example, I will accept it. I would appreciate it, however, that if you would like to use a mod for a challenge, that you also provide the save and goal along with it. (I'm unfamiliar with most mods, that's why.)

I hope that covers everything. It may not, so I reserve the right to change the rules as I see fit. If there are rule changes, they will apply to the next challenge, so as to not interrupt your work.

With that, I wish you good luck for whatever unfortunate challenges I may inflict upon you!

Previous Challenges

Testing your skill at Dwarf Fortress isn't limited to the challenge currently being played. Here you will find links to previous challenges, so that you can improve your skill through horrendously hellish scenarios that others have already suffered through. Enjoy!

Challenge One: Omenfreezes
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:58:37 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masters' Challenges: An Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 06:43:30 pm »

Sounds good to me. I'd probably participate in one of these.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:50:05 pm »

This could be awesome- of course, it hinges heavily on the creativity of the objective. That said, it could be awesome.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:09 pm »

I'm in.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

ventuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:11:07 am »

I might be in, depending on my spare time and motivation.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20:30 pm »

Alright, looks like there's sufficient interest to justify actually doing this thing. I'll figure some scenario out, and work on drafting the rules. The rules will probably come up quicker than the scenario, and hopefully I should have the challenge posted sometime tonight, when I get a hold of a playable copy of Dwarf Fortress.

I figure I might as well put 'Now accepting sign-ups' in the thread title, even though it will won't mean anything and will mostly be a formality anyway. Hopefully it should attract more attention.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:21 pm »

I might do this.

HOWEVER!

I do think we need a standard version for the game. Surviving waves of goblins is very easy if you use a Dark Dwarves-esqe mod to make adamantine out of vermin corpses. Surviving in a frozen wasteland is a resources challenge, it's easy if you can manufacture logs or coke from schist and food from siltstone.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:42 pm »

I'm in. Might as well try to play a little.

I assume the scenario actually specifies what mods, if any, to use?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:59 pm »

Don't worry, I will provide one save file containing the challenge and one set of raws to be used with that map. The challenges will be standardized on a per challenge basis. But that doesn't mean different challenges can't use different mods.

I'm working on drafting the rules right now, so I'll make that clear in the first post.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 06:36:13 pm »

I'd like to see some challenges where part of the game is to create a mod facilitating it, or allows that.

Oh, and I would like to suggest a challenge:

The Invader Challenge!
The fort is made (it's fun to do this on your own fort, but the challenge would have to standardize it) and then when a big siege comes, use Dwarf Companion to switch all the dwarves to the enemy faction and all invaders to your faction. Now, you are playing as invaders! Try to capture the fort!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:49:05 pm »

Alright, the rules are up. If there are any noticeable omissions, please let me know.

I'm going to go home in a bit, and work on coming up with the first challenge, so the first challenge should be up sometime tomorrow. I'll be sure to make it playable. Or I won't. Just to mess with you.

Sensei, if you can provide a save where that's the case, and it doesn't totally destabilize when used without DC, I'd be more than happy to include it at some point, provided it works properly.

Mods are included, but I'm not going to force people to use third party utilities for challenges. I'd like to keep the challenges as easy to get into as possible.

Oh, and the sign ups are totally irrelevant. I won't ban people from playing and I won't keep track of who joined, so forgive me that I used a trick to get your attention.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Masters' Challenges: Sign Up for Challenge 1 inside!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »

I had one, but deleted it. I probably won't have time to make a new fort that's good for this without making it inconvenient for a challenge.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »

If I could make a suggestion, I would suggest an easy one for starters. Two years, standard embark is empty wagon. If you want to bring something with you (kitten, axe, spare logs) you take moderate to heavy penalties. NO PICKS! You can trade for one, but you can't embark with one.

Bonus points for the standard stuff, as well as for picking a more difficult embark (evil biome, desert, salt water, etc).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:34 pm »

It would probably be easier for everybody (and get more people involved) if each challenge was distributed as a complete packaged version of the game. That way nobody would have to modify their own version of Dwarf Fort. Just download and play.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:55 am »

Would it be a good idea if the challenge was distributed as a savefile? So that there would be a standard biome and equiptment for everybody?
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5