Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Signs you may be a boring person  (Read 13614 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Signs you may be a boring person
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 07:06:34 am »

Oh, i got one for number 8. People who think they're really fun when not. *coughumicough* Its quite depressing. Although I guess its funny if they're making an ass of themselves. If they're just plain not funny, then its boring and cringe worthy to hear them speak.

Well, I can say that I'm boring sometimes. Mostly with the no substance thing when I'm bored myself.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 11:24:56 am »

The politically incorrect are generally not boring though. Just very awkward to be around at times. It's kinda like having a racist grandfather. He may be completely off his rocker, but he's still entertaining.

My old friend(may his bones rot in peace) had a father like that, he was off-the-wall racist all the time.
But damn was it entertaining, in a bad way.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:37:25 am »

There's political correctness and then there's political correctness.

But all this over-the-top pc'ness, that seems to be spawned in the states, mostly, like calling small folks (im 165cm meself...) "vertically challenged" or whatever linguistic abomination they might come up with next, that sure is a bummer...

I mean... just have some common sense... what's wrong with saying somebody has dark brown/black/yellowish skin? What's wrong with calling a "mentally challenged" person "a bit slow" to outright "dumb", depending on how heavy that condition is developed?

There might be thin lines between being perceptive and being derogatory, but ffs, some folks sure need to get the broomsticks out of their asses! Especially when they're not getting off on stuff up their behinds...

Oh, one last thing:
I think a surefire way to spot a boring person is to check whether or not they put instructions on the internet on how to spot boring people :)

Alternatively you can just spend some time with people to find out how they are...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 11:40:59 am by Puck »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 11:56:56 am »

There might be thin lines between being perceptive and being derogatory, but ffs, some folks sure need to get the broomsticks out of their asses! Especially when they're not getting off on stuff up their behinds...

At leas they're useful as cleaners.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:57 pm »

What's wrong with calling a "mentally challenged" person "a bit slow" to outright "dumb", depending on how heavy that condition is developed?
Because it's just plain insulting.  That's not political correctness, it's just basic manners.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:07 pm »

What's wrong with calling a "mentally challenged" person "a bit slow" to outright "dumb", depending on how heavy that condition is developed?
Because it's just plain insulting.  That's not political correctness, it's just basic manners.
I suppose it depends on the connotations behind the words. If something is said in a way to insult/put somebody down/hate, then I could see the issue. Casual or even friendly talk with any of these words is no issue and people should stop butting in with those cases.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:10 pm »

Oh, one last thing:
I think a surefire way to spot a boring person is to check whether or not they put instructions on the internet on how to spot boring people :)
Oh yeah! Good point!

8. Puts instructio
- HEY!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 12:39:55 pm »

Ida know... I do dumb things. Somebody calls me dumb after such a thing, Id really not be insulted.

Thatd be just perception and not insulting... I seriously dont get it. Sometimes you have to have the balls to admit to your own shortcomings. Sometimes it's easy to miss them, but at least you hafta try, dontcha?

Sure, opinions differ, and there are a lot of grey areas, and the question where one personal freedom ends and the other starts is one unanswerable paradoxon, but you have to admit that dumb people exist, and some of them exist beyond any doubt.

Heck, if you want, cover it with a bit sugar and call em slow, not very bright, whatever you want.

But I think actions trump words so you can call em as you see em and still treat em with respect.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 04:50:57 am »

Oh my God. I'm a horrifically boring person.

This has given me much to think about.

I'm an authority on that, by the way.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:00 am »

This is more boring/annoying.

Also, has anyone added people who try to push their beliefs on you?

Religion is a bad one, but any others are also pretty bad.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 07:51:13 am »

Nah, they'd probably catch you when you make a "Let's commit terrorism" facebook group.
This.
I have made one.
Want to join?

Damn, I have number 2, 4, 5, 6,

And I am an avid know-it-all person.
Blame wikipedia.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 10:55:18 am »

I hate to say it, but to most people "you play Dwarf Fortress" would be numbr 8
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 11:29:04 am »

I think I suffer just about all of these on a really bad day. But many of the other times, I'm also just testing how much anyone can handle before they reach a breaking point with me. But in an odd sense, I get an opposite reaction once in awhile, and am actually quite entertaining. I think there's something that has to do with how much you are letting out of any of the symptoms, and when you trigger them. All in a sense of timing and moderation, I guess.

But then again, when you also use these while working in a pretty boring work environment, it's actually more interesting than the job. That's just a little something I stumbled across by accident.

Here's one to add that I know I'm guilty of that might pass:

The Observer
The kind of person that doesn't often respond to many things told towards him, or rapid-fire responds in order to "collect information" regarding random thoughts, and to avoid conversation. They usually are aggressive to remain in the background in order to not be involved in all conversations, so they can watch/listen and collect more info. Don't expect eye contact when talking to them either. (Related to #5)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:43:24 am by Itnetlolor »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »

The Observer
The kind of person that doesn't often respond to many things told towards him, or rapid-fire responds in order to "collect information" regarding random thoughts, and to avoid conversation. They usually are aggressive to remain in the background in order to not be involved in all conversations, so they can watch/listen and collect more info. Don't expect eye contact when talking to them either. (Related to #5)
Thats me...

And yea, there is a difference between politically incorrect and just plain insulting...  but, it has to do with the manner you say it in...  And I do suppose some people are more sensitive then others... so there is no universal/easily identifiable line between the two.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:29 pm »

I don't mind crude jokes, but sexist or racist jokes bother me.  A lot.  Aside from that, fire away.

Unless it's a formal situation.  I wouldn't say a crude joke in front of the president, for example.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4