Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition for dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2  (Read 940 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Petition for dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:47 pm »

Yeah, i want dedicated servers.

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

And I'm guessing you guy too, if your gonna be playing it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Petition for dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 04:03:50 am »

I dunno.

Infinity Ward really knows what they're doing when they make games. I mean, seriously. I think they may outdo Valve in terms of time actually spent thinking and designing games. Everything I've seen about the multiplayer looks to be boatloads of fun. They haven't given enough details to say that their new plan would actually be a damn good idea of awesome fun times, but they haven't given enough details to say it wouldn't be either. There was only one thing on my mind when I pre-ordered this game, and that was being able to shoot actual players from an AC-130. That hasn't changed, so my mind hasn't changed either.

Honestly, if they find a faster and easier alternative to costly, erratic, and sometimes downright strange dedicated servers, I would embrace it. So yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and trust them on their decision here. If they can bring Battle.net to the FPS world, I'd be very pleased indeed. Considering these guys managed to make a very, very dull genre exceedingly fun, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

Furthermore, it's not like there WON'T be dedicated servers. Do you really think the hackers would sit idly by, unable to play their favorite game because they pirated it? Hah.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 04:28:35 am »

This actually sealed the deal for me and I'm not buying it. I only played singleplayer on CoD:MW and anytime I tried online at a friend's place I found the community irritating and could only stand to play hardcore mode.

I don't care enough to petition as I believe it won't change IW's mind anyhow.

I'll just stick to ArmA2 or BF2: Project Reality, or counterstrike and TF2 when I want arcade shooting.

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:29:14 am »

Honestly, if they find a faster and easier alternative to costly, erratic, and sometimes downright strange dedicated servers, I would embrace it. So yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and trust them on their decision here. If they can bring Battle.net to the FPS world, I'd be very pleased indeed. Considering these guys managed to make a very, very dull genre exceedingly fun, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

I just have to step in here...

First, they are using the console style of randomly searching for other people to put together a game, then starting it. This is alright for console style gaming - drop in when you have 30 minutes or so, and leave when you're done, without worrying too much about finding a full server.

However, this goes against everything that PC gaming has cultivated. PC multiplayer gaming has (in the past) gravitated towards a community style setup.

Here, I'll give a comparison: (This is not speculation. I have COD4 on 360 + PC)
1) I want to play a quick game. I don't know how much time I have. I hop on the 360, multiplayer, matchmaker, and bam I'm blowing people up. Maybe a couple friends are on, I'll jump in their game. Thirty minutes later, I put the game down and go do something else.

2) I have several hours, and I'm up for some competitive coordinated teamwork. This is the time I usually play, so I log on to one of my favorite servers (or my only favorite server), fire up Ventrilo/Teamspeak, and talk to the community I'm involved with.

People know each other on the servers. Rivalries flare, which are fun, and don't often happen in the 360 gaming scene because if somebody wipes the floor with you, the chances of you friending him are nil - on a dedicated server, if it's the server you BOTH like, chances are you'll meet again. Some of my oldest online friendships are from opponents who I'd have never talked to again.

Dedicated servers (if run correctly, of course) can form a COMMUNITY for gaming. It's how I found EVERY FPS clan I've EVER joined - I played there for weeks/months, and got invited or applied.

Frankly I don't see how they can leave this out, especially with COD4's massive popularity on the PC with the dedicated/modded servers. I am not interested at all, since the only mode I enjoyed in COD4 was hardcore with SERVER ENFORCED RULESETS - like no shooting without sighting first (unless it's very close range), no martyrdom, no rocket/nade spam for the first X seconds, etc. Without dedicated servers and admins, that's going to be nigh impossible to enforce.

A dedicated server that has a ruleset and admins you like makes sure you enjoy the game. It keeps you away from players you'd rather not associate with, and vice versa. The XBox live style of matchmaking does not. That's why there are always 12 year olds screaming at you in Halo 3 about stealing their sniper. On a dedicated server, they'd be dropped - or if it was their dedicated server, they could drop you for stealing their sniper. :)

Note: I agree the petition is largely useless... but I guess it's interesting to see this many people care. All I know is that I won't be giving them my $50 $60.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:31:58 am by tNok85 »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:32:59 am »

I hate to do this but...
>implying IW cares about community over mass-marketing of product

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:56 am »

I hate to do this but...

Well, that's to be expected from nearly every company, unless they're altruistic. And if you're in business to make money... well...

I think the issue here is that IW does not understand the power of the COD franchise in the PC gaming world, not just the console world. And I think they're either under the illusion that this will INCREASE sales on PC due to all the pirates being forced to buy it now, when most of the serious FPS players I know (on PC) wouldn't dream of a tactical teamwork based game like this without dedicated servers, or they just don't care and hope to ride the COD reputation on this one.

They are being told, and we are being told, that each pirate is a lost sale. When you look at it that way... yeah, it'd be worth it to lose a percentage of your loyal PC gaming community to get all those pirate sales back.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:56:21 am by tNok85 »

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:50:46 am »

>using greentext outside of an imageboard

reactionimage.jpg
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:31:04 pm »

Hey, if you hate it. Stick with your decision! Don't buy it!

(it's only better for the rest of us, hehehe)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:24:06 pm »

I hate to do this but...

Well, that's to be expected from nearly every company, unless they're altruistic. And if you're in business to make money... well...
Quite a few companies now realize that a dedicated community will lead to increased sales with a fanatical fanbase, instead of pumping out crap they know the mass market will gladly eat up "Shooting Point and Click Adventure the Sequel: Click before you Die!"

I'm talking about (FPS -wise) Tripwire Interactive (Red Orchestra), Bohemia (OFP, ArmA), and not sales but the fact people still play years later... Tribes, the Project Reality Modders, and Natural Selection.

The fact that people are paying money for crap and not paying money for the rare, odd amazing game is the cancerkillinggamesindustry.jpg

Therefore, support Toady :D

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:45:36 pm »

First, they are using the console style of randomly searching for other people to put together a game, then starting it. This is alright for console style gaming - drop in when you have 30 minutes or so, and leave when you're done, without worrying too much about finding a full server.

Imho, COD4 for instance was a game that doesnt even need more attention. It's just a fun fast paced arcadeish game, even on hardcore mode it has nothing to do with realism, it seems, and balance wasnt all that much of a major concern anyway.

Eyecandy timewaster. I mean, I DID like it, I did finish singleplayer 2 times on hardest mode before i gave it back to the owner, but I dont think it's all that great.

And I sure as hell dont have any high hopes for the successor.

On the hand, denying dedicated servers doesnt make all that much sense, either. What are we? Too stupid to use a serverbrowser? Seriously, I dont get it, why restrict people in such a manner?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »

They kept me from buying this with that word on the cover there. See in the corner, where it says 'Activision'? that's video game talk for the purest and most vile evil.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 02:12:39 pm »

I remember a time in the eighties when I actually liked to see that logo...
*sheds a single tear*