Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I had a dream last night...  (Read 1981 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I had a dream last night...
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:33 am »

I was the mayor of a human fortress that had built itself up in an old grocery store.  I was out fishing or something when an orc siege came.  The bar at the top of the screen, the one that displays FPS and "SIEGE" and idlers, was instead situated at the top of every doorway and on some horizontal tree branches and the like.  I set everyone to stay inside; contacting the "orders" menu using only your mind and no mouse is pretty awesome.  I managed to get everyone inside but no one would pull the lever to seal up the bridge until the orcs were in sight of the glass front doors.  Someone said "Oh sh*t!" and pulled it, and the bridge closed...  But the orcs were still coming.

I paused before the orcs breached the doors, and laughed in a frozen eternity at my poor defense design.  We had only three trained warriors -- an axeman, a hunter, and a wrestler.  So I drafted absolutely everybody, myself included.

An Orc broke my arm before I could even attack him, but as my vision faded I became enraged.  I pounced on him before he could kill my friend, and I snapped his own arms and started strangling him.

The battle lasted for four days, which was really more like four minutes.  We eventually lost (I woke up before that happened), but the orcs incurred heavy losses.

Has anyone else had a Dwarf Fortress dream?  I've never had one in ascii.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I had a dream last night...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:23 am »

Honestly, all of my Dwarf Fortress dreams suck, my perspective is actually of the computer screen. I had one last night, it was more like an altered memory than a dream. It was me trying to work on a project, but the game just wouldn't work. The only thing that was even unrealistic was I could look "around" a mountain (magic-dream-vision) while still looking at the front of it. Before I went to sleep I was struggling to collapse a mountain, so I continued to struggle after I went to sleep.

I have had several dreams like that, I don't have non-nightmare dreams, though. So no good or interesting ones to share about Dwarf Fortress, mostly just finding some awesome metal that isn't in the game, then the game crashes. Or a Dwarf who is legendary in everything comes to my fortress, and is killed by a pack of wolves. Things to that nature.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:52:59 pm »

I got into lucid dreaming in college, and would always try to arrange for kickass gunfights in them.  I've gotten off the LD wagon, but the dreams I remember, often as not, are of kickass gunfights and/or zombies.  I do notice that I am more likely to throw things (rocks, empty guns, socks) at the zombies since I've started playing DF.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:20 pm »

If you woke up before you lost the battle, how do you know you lost?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 06:04:43 pm »

If you want some crazy-ass dreaming, try having a lucid kinaesthetic dream. A dream which you have full control of, as well as having all of your senses working. Think of it like astral projection, but not as a ghost, but flesh and bone. It seems like psycho-teleportation. Onto the dream...

One example of a bizarre one that I had was:
I was inside this doorless room with window slits along the upper corners of the walls (not on the corners, but a few slats along the edge), it was seamless as well, from what I can recall, and the light coming in from the slats was bright, like a noon-time lighting. The room was also a beige, sandstone-like material, sorta Ancient Egypt style in design. It was also about 40x40x10 foot space trapezoidal room. It actually looked nice. It kinda resembled the last part of The Fifth Element, when they try to save the world and open the stones.

Anyway, inside this room were 4 pedestals and on 3 of them was a rock. One of the pedestals looked rather oblong, compared to the other 3, as were the rocks.

Now here's where things begin to get odd. On 2 of the pedestals were a smooth river rock, and a piece of asphalt, or a really rough rock. Upon reaching the river rock, despite how smooth it looked, I felt like I was about to cut my hand apart just holding it. Like all parts of it were razor sharp. However, the rough one was the complete opposite. Heck, even testing the limits, I rubbed it across my arm. Despite looking razor sharp now, it just slid across my arm. No cutting.

Now, as for the 3rd rock, as well as pedestal 3 & 4; they had wierd physics. Let's just say, both surfaces could never balance no matter what, from how they looked, but it was ridiculously easy to balance it on top of the oblong pedestal. Yet, once I placed the rock on the flat surface, it kept falling off. No visible magnets or anything. It just won't balance on the flatter surface. Being the curious one, I dropped it off the edge of the oblong, and it caught to almost all the edges like velcro. Sliding it across the flat one, fell towards the peak of the oblong pedestal.

Unusually, that was it for the dream. The exit was waking up. I think that was a kinaesthetic/lucid calibration dream. Future dreams after that were alternate realities of my current life. Strange enough, I think they're interacting with each other.

Aside that, I had some interesting alternate realities. Like for example, all transportation is now converted into a waterpark method. I mean, cars are now rafts, sidewalks are waterjet slides that get you from point-A to point-B. That was pretty fun, despite being a mundane work day, in a dream. At least I got to use a lazy river to walk to work.

BTW, I had those dreams ages ago.

I am curious if there was a 5th pedestal in that room. I mean, it was arranged large enough to fit one more. I think it was a Schrodinger pedestal. I think it existed, yet didn't at the same time, unless observed. Could explain what I hit in that room I guess.

I guess the room was supposed to resemble probability in a conceivable form. The probability of those opposing rocks becoming one another, a 0% chance rock and surface able to = 100% combined balance out regardless of position. Yet, being out of place (oblong on regular) always guarantees failure (IE- 0% no matter what, or possibly negative odds, due to the persistence of failure).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:11:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:50:37 am »

This was after a day of playing Dwarf fortress.
A bunch of dwarves are going up the hill swearing and drinking. Finally they get to the top and THERE is my house. The dwarves decide to dig under my house and then I woke up...
Im a bit worried about the dwarves under my house...

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:37:36 am »

I'm pretty sure I recall a dream of one of my adventurers, but a rather interesting battle she and her comrades had in a movie style. In the game, a glitch caused the entire town and half my allies to turn on me. In the dream, a loud argument started a fight, which led to an all on annihilation
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:27 am »

In the last dream I had, I was being chased by a giant Lego spider. It was fluorescent green.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:26:21 am »

In the last dream I had, I was being chased by a giant Lego spider. It was fluorescent green.
Sounds like something Legolord might have...

Eh, my dreams are just usually WW2 and war type things like that.
Though I did have a dream about being an Axeman and building a settlement from scratch.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:43 am »

Nothing really. I did once have a recurring nightmare about a giant bat creature that could disguise itself as human going around killing stuff. Terrifying when I was that young.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

igdfilm

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:00:18 am »

I like dreams where I float/fly.

edit: when do we get personal jetpacks? flying cars?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:39:14 pm by igdfilm »

igdfilm

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 04:06:17 am »

So apparently, according to Tarn, I am too 'sunny' and 'cheery' for this thread. What gives.

sir monko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wsa
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:21 am »

I set everyone to stay inside; contacting the "orders" menu using only your mind and no mouse is pretty awesome.

feature request!

altough fear it'd be slower in my case.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:46:41 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 04:13:44 pm »

Sounds like something Legolord might have...
Indeed.  I am afraid of spiders, and, well, I like LEGOs.

Only I don't dream very often. :-\  So no dwarf dreams I can remember.  I did have one the other night where a cougar ate a dog that had been chasing me . . . but that's it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:15:17 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2