Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Marriage rings, items and names.  (Read 1289 times)

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage rings, items and names.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

Hello,
  nice!  The ring and the "o" with name designation!  Look, marriage is already highly important to the dwarves - the players just have a hard time knowing something that would be very obvious in the real world.  I think that Toady could go long or short with this idea.  It fits nicely into what he already has in place.
quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

Trichordate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

o-rings should be a very important part of dwarf fortress

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Rings aren't purely Christian - Christians adopted the ring, basically, not the other way around.  The ring has simply been a symbol of eternity, and in many books, they're made in such a way to indicate lack of an end (Bringing a touch of irony in JRR Tolkien's novel).  Removing the wedding/engagement ring on the grounds of it being related to religion is somewhat excessive.  Dwarves can like crosses in the game; I don't see why they can't use rings as a sign of betrothal or fidelity that has no end.

That being said, I think this is an excellent idea.  If we're looking for something a little more 'Dwarf-like', though, try the Finger Armor Ring for some variety.  Engravings on the ring will complete the picture - The name of the Dwarf's beloved would be inscribed on the inside, for example.

If we wanted to go more along with the spirit of Dwarf Fortress, though, Chairs, Floodgates, and a Silk Shoe would be considered perfectly acceptable wedding gifts - There'd just have to be some way for the owner to wear the item or for the player to be able to put it in that dwarf's room (Or somewhere the dwarf frequents - You want them to see it for happy thoughts, for example).  If one in the couple or if both dwarves don't like a particular unperishable item, then they could use the traditional ring.

Marriage could also be expanded upon - The spouse should be considered a 'friend' and should attend parties with his or her partner accordingly.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

Hi!

Doing another game with the standard population explosion setting, I had the following development:

Among the first colonists, two (later three) got the "is getting used to tragedy." comment. I tried my best to cheer them up, but it wouldn't go away.

Then the broker arrived, and having nothing to do most of the day started throwing parties. One of those negative (?) dwarves, a fisherdwarf attended regularly and when I checked, I saw "has recently made a new friend.". A little search then turned out that the broker was obviously that new friend and they were a set of male-female (I can't remember, though, which was which).

So, in my opinion that would have been a fine start for a relationship: One dwarf being down, then finding some release in the parties of another dwarf. They become friends and slowly more.

I don't think that linking it to professions would be so good an idea since the professions are effectively given and influenced by the player. Besides, I think that entire idea of "types" and "preferences", while appropriate for a "one-night-stand" society is not really something for marriage. I would expect that voluntary marriage would be more likely based on the dwarves getting along (just as the fisherdwarf and the broker in my example. I don't know why they became friends, but I don't think it was because the fisherdwarf found brokers hot).

Deathworks

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 05:26:00 am »

If this takes place, I'd LOVE to see a whole marriage thing taking place.

They host a party, everyone drinks like mad, then (especially with the economy system), everyone gives the bride/groom a few trinkets (crafts). Would probably stop the whole fortress' running for a day or two... especially if its a LEGENDARY dwarf being married  ;)

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks
Pages: 1 [2]