Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Planet  (Read 5978 times)

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Planet
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »

Ok so I was watching a show about the universe the other day. They were talking about how the universe goes on forever, they said that since it goes on forever that there is an exact replica of earth somewhere out there. Due to my obsesion with this game instead of freaking out that there could be an exact replica of me out there I started thinking that there odds are there is a planet that exactly replicates dwarf fortress.

that would be freaky
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Dwarf Fortress Planet
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »

Dwarf Fortress violates several laws of physics, but maybe in another dimension it exists.

Actually, it already exists. In the same way that Middle-Earth and the Discworld exist, Dwarf Fortress exists because its users have attached meaning to it.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

The theory is that in an infinite universe, everything that is possible (i.e. has a probability greater than 0) has to happen somewhere, because.. well, infinity.

So yeah as Kishmond said, it can't exist exactly as the game is due to not being able to fit a million stones in one square, but the whole dwarves/elves/goblins/kobolds/etc thing should exist somewhere if this theory is true (which is debatable)

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »

The theory is that in an infinite universe, everything that is possible (i.e. has a probability greater than 0) has to happen somewhere, because.. well, infinity.

So yeah as Kishmond said, it can't exist exactly as the game is due to not being able to fit a million stones in one square, but the whole dwarves/elves/goblins/kobolds/etc thing should exist somewhere if this theory is true (which is debatable)

Read Forever War and Forever Free, by John Haldeman.

The end of Forever Free, I think, basically screws up our entire concept of life.

Without spoiling it, it basically implies these hardcoded laws of physics, the rules which conduct how the universe acts, are just as changeable and malleable than a lump of clay. Imagine if Pi was exactly 3, or Sound travelled 12 miles faster?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:05:20 pm »

Ok so I was watching a show about the universe the other day. They were talking about how the universe goes on forever, they said that since it goes on forever that there is an exact replica of earth somewhere out there.

... How old is that show? I think you're either misrepresenting something or they were, because the universe having infinite size doesn't mean there's an infinite amount of stuff in it. In fact, there almost certainly isn't.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 06:06:46 pm »

There is a term for something that is infinite but not meaningfully so.

I just cannot remember what the term was.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:37 pm »

Imagine if Pi was exactly 3, or Sound travelled 12 miles faster?
Pi can't be three, as it is defined to be the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle in a Euclidean (flat) plane.

The speed of sound is dependent on the medium in which it travels. For example,
Quote from: Wikipedia
[it travels] about 4.3 times faster in water than in air at 20 degrees Celsius.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 06:14:06 pm »

There are some laws that transcend our reality based on logic alone.

The inner angles of a triangle must always add up to 180 by definition, for example.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:16:34 pm »

The inner angles of a triangle must always add up to 180 by definition, for example

That is only because it is a requirement to even be a triangle.

A three sided shape that adds up to 180 degrees (because a line is being folded twice and connected) is a triangle.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »

According to our friend Google search, the universe has a mass of somewhere between 10^53kg and 10^60kg. Not exactly an accurate estimate, the difference between those two numbers is approximately 10^60, but it's not exactly easy to measure so I guess that can be forgiven.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:55 pm »

theoretically the universe is infinite, it has infinite space, and infinite time...that doesn't implie that it has infinite planets or infinite matter

and also, everithing that is not impossible, happens, if it doesn't happen it is because it was absolutelly impossible, probabilities are just a quantification of our ignorance, they are only on our mind, in the universe it is 0 or 1

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 07:51:21 pm »

This isn't mine, but I figured I'd post it up while we're on the topic.

You'll know what this is from the subtle hints.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still, a world with crazed dwarves, elves, goblins, and other races isn't too far-fetched.  Maybe we'll have Dwarf Fortress v.2 (or even 3) by the time we discover it.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 08:04:17 pm »

The inner angles of a triangle must always add up to 180 by definition, for example

That is only because it is a requirement to even be a triangle.

A three sided shape that adds up to 180 degrees (because a line is being folded twice and connected) is a triangle.

You didn't understand my point. Allow me to reiterate.

NightWatchman suggested that it is possible for Pi to be equal to something other than Pi.

My point is that by definition a circle has one, and only one, relationship between the radius and circumference (Pi) of that circle. If you say that relationship is something else (Pi, as we know it, is something other than Pi), then it's not really a circle.

Like I wrote earlier, the same thing can be said of a triangle and the sum of the 3 inner angles.

So, while there are some constants which, in some other parallel universe,in theory, might have some other value..  I am suggesting that examples like those above can't change.

Sindayven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »

If you believe in the theory that the universe is in an infinite cycle of Big Bangs and Big Crunches, then it stands to reason that anything that can happen has not only happened, but has happened infinite times. The creation of the planet, the evolution of your species, even your own birth, life and death have happened an infinite amount of times throughout the universe's eternal existence. You are not the only one who has been you, and you will not be the last.

I should be a motivational speaker.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »

If you believe in the theory that the universe is in an infinite cycle of Big Bangs and Big Crunches, then it stands to reason that anything that can happen has not only happened, but has happened infinite times. The creation of the planet, the evolution of your species, even your own birth, life and death have happened an infinite amount of times throughout the universe's eternal existence. You are not the only one who has been you, and you will not be the last.

I should be a motivational speaker.
If someone finds out how to retain memories from all their past re-livings, they would be undisputed king of everything.

Maybe that's what prophets are. If Nostradamus believes that the world is going to end in 1123, that's because he REMEMBERS that happening before, but due to some random event not happening (Asteroid a doesn't become 22 degrees hotter) it doesn't kill us all.

Damn all this theoretical-astro-phisicry-magic is hard to grasp and so fun to guess at.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5