Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: RPG with 'building' feature?  (Read 7614 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: RPG with 'building' feature?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:28 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot about Space Rangers II, was a great game!
Too bad it's turn based. I would love it completely if it was a shooter/had colonization or building :D
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:40:24 pm »

Morrowind with the Bloodmoon addon let you build a colony.
it is a lot more RPG than Oblivions RPG for dumes game play.
and get some mods
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »

IIRC Heroes of Might and Magic #? lets you rule a settlement at some point. Unless I got the title confused.

Birthright is mainly a fantasy strategy game, but with you and a sibling as rulers that can go on quests RPG Firstperson perspective. strategic battles are topdown simplistic, has just just barely more tactics than civ. There is no building in an architectural sense, but provinces can be upgraded with towers, leylines, etc. There are minor bugs in the FPS part.
It was a very entertaining game, pity it is so difficult to find (only runs on dos or win98 too).
sound 3.0
graphics: (for its time) rpg5.5 strategy7.0
gameplay: 8.0
replayability: 9.0
AI : 7.0 (strategy) 5 (FPS)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:35 pm »

Heh, this reminds me of an opensource project I used to keep an eye on a while called WorldForge. One of its goals was a game of sorts called mason, where you'd be able to construct buildings and whatnot in a persistent world. That was almost a decade ago and it's still in early alpha. The surprising thing is it's apparently still in some form of active development, it's like some earthly manifestation of the spirit of vaporware.

If anyone actually wants to check it out it's at http://www.worldforge.org/

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »

I'll search for Morrowind and the mods. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

I never liked much of Heroes of might and magic, and I think it's turn-based (don't like that style :z)
Will also look out for birthright.

WorldForge, I've dl it once and tried, but it's too much of an alpha yet, and all servers are really laggy (at least for me, it was like 400~500ms. I'm on Brazil of course, but it never gets higher than 250.], also, it was buggy. But the concept is nice though. It remembers Wurm. But it's p2p+l2p (live to play 'plz')
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »

I never liked much of Heroes of might and magic, and I think it's turn-based (don't like that style :z)
Then I remembered the wrong title, the game I remember was FPS-RPG.
Birthright is AD&D based, based on the RPG of the same name actually, that may explain why it is so difficult to find online....
I'll look for the CD of that other title...
edit. can't find it anywhere, the title sounds similar to HoM&M though, which I hated too to be honest.
Looked online. Might & magic is a longrunning series that had HoM&M as a spin-off. I think I had part 7.

found CD to other game, is published by sierra for win95/dos5+ , subtitle "the Gorgon's Alliance"
who is some sort of evil titan/megabeast creature BTW.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:32:14 pm by Areyar »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

Hmmm, the closest I can think of is this game called Dwarf Fortress. Basically you control a settlement and stuff. I can't remember where you find it but I know it's free, try googling it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »

I'm sure there's a myriad of Morrowind mods to this end (the mod I was working on was intended to have a customizable beach house/fort, but that's presently dormant). Neverwinter Nights as well, although I'm not sure to what extent there are campaigns that let you build in-game. The editor is basically as good though. Same for Morrowind on the latter statement.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:32 pm »

Rakonas, you can't control a settlement whilst controlling your actual character while in DF. That was a stupid comeback. :\

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 06:56:32 pm »

Yeah hahah, if it was a mix of adventure mode / fortress mode, it would be what I'm looking for I think.

And I forgot about Neverwinter Nights.. I played NWN2 and got pretty far, but then I got to a point where the map files or something went corrupt, and I was friggin' pissed off. I searched for a solution but there were none, only 're-installing and doing all over again' or something. I just uninstalled it for good.

I think X series was the game which got really near of what I want. Even if you couldn't build a city, you could pretty much take 'control' of a sector (on your imagination, since the only sign of control of a sector are patrols), watch civilian ships do their stuff and program your supply chain.
I find that stuff awesome, and DF accomplishes that. So does Magesty..it just lacks the adventurer part for me.

The SimCity RPG described pretty well, haha, and also all the games I've found with those features were indie games that are abandoned.
I know there's one in development that features those, but I forgot it's name. It's in eaarly alpha, and I believe it will take years to get done.

But I have faith in the ninjability of the Bay12'ers.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 07:01:32 pm »

in the latest X games... 3 I guess, you CAN build and design your own spacestation complexes, takes massive amounts of money and trading power to do so effectively though.

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 07:43:44 pm »

Mount & Blade with the mod "Custom Settlements".

It's not perfect. But it's pretty good. Main map is sort of a top down view (like a map, although 3d) with towns/villages/cities/fortresses on it. Battles are fought in first/third person mode. RPG aspects are deep, and the combat feels like what Oblivion should have been. (Great directional attacks, blocks, good archery, mounted combat including lances, thrown weapons that are effective...)

RPG aspects aren't just stats for combat... plenty of leadership/charisma/intelligence/trading type stuff too, that's all very important.

Custom Settlements allows you to found a settlement (at a predetermined location) and build it up. The building up stages ARE fairly predetermined, so there's not a lot of customization, but it's a lot of fun.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 11:50:09 pm »

I could never get the direct building editing in that mod to work...

I'd argue that the combat is very not-elder-scrolls like, since it revolves primarily around not getting hit by blocking (which stops ALL damage), rather than doing more damage/healing than your enemy.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:30 pm »

There's Wurm, which has terraforming and building, which are both fun, but it has a monthly fee and in order to achieve anything there you have to have no life whatsoever.

Then there's URW, which I think was already mentioned. You try to survive in medieval Finland and it's really cool when you first play it, but gets repetitive and pointless in a while (well most games do that at a point...)

and OT: To those who mentioned Parkan I and II, here's the intro video of the second game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAd27B8x-Aw
First time I played it I closed the game and started it up again just to hear that hilariously horrific voice acting once more. To me it seemed that ALL the characters in that video were voiced by the same guy  ;D crazy russian gamemakers

tNok85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 07:54:11 pm »

I could never get the direct building editing in that mod to work...

I'd argue that the combat is very not-elder-scrolls like, since it revolves primarily around not getting hit by blocking (which stops ALL damage), rather than doing more damage/healing than your enemy.

Yes, I said it's how the combat *should* have been. Just the mechanics. Throw in the healing/damaging spells and such of Oblivion.

Oblivion/Morrowind always felt so clunky in combat to me. Mount & Blade has a very intuitive and smooth combat system... albeit sometimes buggy, no more than TES though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3