Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: RPG with 'building' feature?  (Read 7619 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
RPG with 'building' feature?
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:10:20 pm »

Hello again folks, here I am once again to make sure the game I want doesn't exist..

I've been looking for awhile a game which let you be a character and have a colony/city/settlement/house, lets you build etc.

I've already played Hinterland and Spellforce..both felt really empty to me, but Hinterland was near it.
Also I've played Starport GE, it's almost perfect, but I can't take MMOs that sucks you out of life to get something done, since I'm at College and having a hard time there. But I wouldn't mind if it doesn't need your attention like 90% of the time or you would be pwned.

I've also tried StarQuest Online but I'll have to leave it for later, since as I said..I don't have the whole day to play.

Thanks ><
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RPG with 'building' feature?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 02:46:46 pm »

Well, it's hardly an RPG at all, but Dark Cloud for the PS2 features something of the sort.

Neverwinter Nights 2 featured a stronghold and surrounding territories you could build up and prepare for some invasion of sorts, but it was mostly reflected in stat-sheets and pretty meaningless to the plot. Not really worth trudging through the game to get there.

Unreal World allowed you to build your own house, cellar and/or sauna. But not a settlement (no NPCs actually acknowledged what you built).

Other than that, I can't recall an actual RPG to feature this. Jagged Alliance 2 did have you taking over towns, defending them and training militia, but never actually building anything.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 02:56:05 pm »

I've been looking for awhile a game which let you be a character and...

...I wouldn't mind if it doesn't need your attention like 90% of the time...

..I don't have the whole day to play.
Its building aspect is not really developed but still - have you tried Progress Quest? :)

On a more serious note - name one of the starting dwarves after yourself, and roleplay him through the fortress mode of Dwarf Fortress.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:38 pm »

Haven and Hearth is all about building. It's an MMO, though. You don't have to play it that much, but you will be dirt poor compared to people that do play all day. You can still get everything through trade, but if you play <1 hour a day, it'll take weeks to make enough trade goods to buy stuff like gold. There's also the issue of thieves, which can set you back a lot. Luckily, they're not all that common. Joining a village also makes you safer from them.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 03:19:04 pm »

Does it need to be an actual RPG? Because there are games where you do stuff like that, they're just less RPG, more action/strategy. First and foremost, Sacrifice. To a lesser extent, games like CnC:Renegade, Parkan:Iron Strategy, Uprising and Uprising 2, etc. I heard about a few RPG projects with such goals, but that was VERY long ago and quite likely they're all already dead.

Then there are ridiculous games. Like Colobot/Ceebot.

The Stronghold series qualifies technically, since the castle doesn't matter, your lord is your representation and once he's killed it's over.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 03:51:49 pm »

Breath of Fire 2 has a small bit of building. IIRC, you controlled a village late in the game and could upgrade it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »

Well, it's hardly an RPG at all, but Dark Cloud for the PS2 features something of the sort.
HERESY!
 Although the second game is much funner to play.

And it seems every Breath of Fire game after the second one has featured some form of city building. Still, I don't think they are what you want. Haven and Hearth requires a goddam ton of time.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »

Man.  I wonder what a SimCity RPG would be like.  Hiring advisers from your population, researching upgrades to allow bigger buildings, casting spells to increase your roads' throughput, going out and slaying monsters in the forest so that you can chop it down and build condos...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:04 pm »

Man.  I wonder what a SimCity RPG would be like.  Hiring advisers from your population, researching upgrades to allow bigger buildings, casting spells to increase your roads' throughput, going out and slaying monsters in the forest so that you can chop it down and build condos...
You've done it Sowelu.

Sig'ed.

Shit, I think i spelt it wrong.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 05:43:30 pm »

Well, technically you can "build" stuff in M&B, and i'm sure there's a few mods that have additional features in that department. still, no way to choose layouts (as everything is done beforehand by a modder placing items in a scene)
Magma is overrated.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »

Thanks for the many suggestions, unfortunately 80% I've already played, and I only have a PC '-'
I'll check the ones I haven't played yet though :D

Anyone knows how to make Parkan: IS to run on Windows XP SP2? It's so old it won't work even on compatibility mode..
--O WAIT, I think I made it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:24:42 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:16:52 am »

You could probably try Parkan and Parkan II, too. I couldn't run the latter because my desktop PC is crap, but the overall premise of the former is an Elite-like game where you can walk around in your ship, as well as any ship you board and any station you stop at. There's little RPG in there because all NPCs are robots, and not a lot of building because all you do is expand the various robo-colonies you establish (that happen to all be underground, and shaped more or less like a branching vertical tunnel), but the very basic elements are there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:39:51 am »

In my opinion, Parkan II was not really that good.
Parkan I was innovative and interesting, while in Parkan II it becomes a bit boring and I don't like many design desicions and some other things I don't remember (I just played it when it came out because I was a big fan of Parkan; and I remember I was disappointed).
I am not telling you that you shouldn't try it, it's definitely a worthy game and maybe it was just me hoping to get more or something different.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:23:30 am »

Oh I played Parkan II.
I found it rather dull, nothing really works. If you conquer a planet, you WILL lose it 2 minutes later, even if you leave many strong units on the planet. The pirates take it all over.
I remember having like 10 colonies and 'upgrading' em (in parkan II you don't build, only 'upgrade' and things appear) and suddenly all of them started getting attacked, in 5 minutes I had lost all of them except 2 that I didn't invest anything.

I've lost 'faith' in Russian games, all of them I've played 'failed to deliver' in some aspect.
I remember "Hard to be a God", it was great..but the game description is wrong (it says you're a character, but you are other one), and the ending just doesn't make justice to the great story of the game.
And Parkan II was really frustrating because all of its aspects felt like a prototype, and half of the game is about you running around trying to get your ship back..and losing any colonies you conquer.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:06 am »

I've lost 'faith' in Russian games, all of them I've played 'failed to deliver' in some aspect.
You play wrong games then :). There's not a lot of good ones, but those who are, are really great.
I talk about Space Rangers. King's Bounty (I am not talking about the old great NWC one) is quite good too, Allods were very entertaining for their times, IL-2 is quite a good flight simulator (and there're similar) and Heroes of Might and Magic V were quite entertaining while not the same thing I expected.
There're others I can't tell you immideately.

Also don't forget Lines and Tetris :).
I agree that russian videogame market cannot withstand a huge number of western developers, most of which are quite good, but still you CAN expect a good game from Nival Interactive or other well-known companies (not that many). But Parkan 2 was some kind of experiment, the first one was a success so developers just started to "make money" without good planning, and some of them even left. Here's the result. Currently this "firm" develops java games, so they are totally out of market.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3