Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game  (Read 13533 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heyho! Andd..Im working on DF Multiplayer
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 07:48:19 am »

My largest gripe is that he is not only not following through with the premise of this thread (A multiplayer Dwarf Fortress product) but he is intentionally misleading people in order to gain attention and instead of including it in the proper thread he includes it here.

He has the ability to move his thread and change the name of his thread.

It is to me no different then when people on GameFAQs says "Info about game release date" and you go inside and it says "Boy I sure would like to know"...

I think what I am saying is... Prospector thread should be moved to General discussion. Much more related to Dwarf Fortress

I am not really mad, since I've been on GameFAQs long enough to see 100 threads like this, that is just my perspective.

In terms of getting other people to look at it. As a suggestion you only hype your game after you have something tangable... I remember Airlands.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:50:17 am by Neonivek »

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5898/mapup.png

changed the res of the map, and its now showing the various biome areas.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 01:56:04 pm »

This thread is terrible and Xam should feel terrible.

"Lol hai I'm making a DF Online game lol"

"I don't like this thread, and I don't believe you"

"YO CHILL MAN YOU GOTTA RELAX MAN STOP ASSUMING STUFF MAN RELAX"

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2009, 02:29:36 pm »

What you're making sounds exactly like Wurm online, Haven and Hearth, and half a dozen other pre-existing MMOs. Tacking "Dwarf Fortress!" into the title won't change that.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:33 pm »

UristMcGunsmith, the thread didn't go quite how I planned, in fact I didn't plan it as such. But whuutever :]

If your interested, then that's cool, loads of you guys are proper friendly and welcoming  (:

If your not interested, or feel some enormous urge to try and put me down , quit with the moaning and crappy sarcasm! its such a waste of energy :3

Anyway, I've just finished the log box, it updates with whats going on; you were punched, you leveled up a skill, you equipped a thing, world chat, a camel nibbled on your ear, private messages etc.

Implemented at the moment is world chat, private messaging and local chat (range: x,y,z +- 10 at the moment)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »

xam, a lot of people would like this thread moved from DF General Discussion to Creative Projects.  You can do this with the thread controls in the lower left.  You can also edit the thread title to remove the DF reference, so as not to give people the wrong idea.  If you want less naysayers in your thread, this would be a good start.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 04:30:58 pm »

xam, a lot of people would like this thread moved from DF General Discussion to Creative Projects.  You can do this with the thread controls in the lower left.  You can also edit the thread title to remove the DF reference, so as not to give people the wrong idea.  If you want less naysayers in your thread, this would be a good start.
Agreed, and Thank You xam.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:34:42 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 04:43:30 pm »

What you're making sounds exactly like Wurm online, Haven and Hearth, and half a dozen other pre-existing MMOs. Tacking "Dwarf Fortress!" into the title won't change that.
Differences as I understood it:
 - ASCII graphics
 - Faster paced (no grinding, no waiting hours for crafts or buildings to be finished)
 - More dynamic world (anyone can pick up a pick and dig, maybe stuff like caveins and fluid dynamics.)
 - skill and combat system more like DF, with almost no visible numbers and levels, and no hipoints.

Atleast, I hope it'll be like this, and I sugest it shuld.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
Re: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »

yeh man, pretty much :)

i've thought of ways to do fluid dynamics, its just implementing it and making it efficient

also little layout update, the box on the right is for info (nothing there atm), square info, etc

the map is still showing my biome data so dont worry to much about that, apart the face i can see in it D:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9688/layo.png

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »

Nice!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 05:58:43 pm »

UristMcGunsmith, the thread didn't go quite how I planned, in fact I didn't plan it as such. But whuutever :]

If your interested, then that's cool, loads of you guys are proper friendly and welcoming  (:

If your not interested, or feel some enormous urge to try and put me down , quit with the moaning and crappy sarcasm! its such a waste of energy :3

The thread didn't go as planned? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Did you expect no criticism?

And criticizing you is a waste of energy? getting excited for this shit is an equal waste of energy. Who are you to tell me what I should be doing with my energy? Playing video games is a waste of energy, yet here we are in a video games forum.

And lol nice screen shot, it's good to see you can play with MS Paint.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 06:08:11 pm »

Im open to criticism!

Why does everything have to mean something to you? christ, let go man

what are you so bitter about? whats the real problem here?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:22 pm »

The thread didn't go as planned? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Did you expect no criticism?

I think he expected there to be fewer people going totally apeshit on him and getting all worked up over nothing and thinking he's trying to be some sort of devious little bugger when what he's doing is totally innocent.

And criticizing you is a waste of energy?

I'd say that being an asshole is, not specifically the criticism.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:17 pm »

UristMcGunsmith : all those screen shots are from working scripts I've created in the past few days. you can try them if you want!

you haven't got a clue whats going on, just the reality you've created in your head where i'm some dancing naked lunatic crafting images in paint to try to impress everybody -.-

drop the ego maaan

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2009, 07:12:45 pm »

0.0 I don't get it.. The your map gen script made... the sky? lol

Was this sarcasm? I can't tell.
If it wasn't, the image he posted looks like a height map with a decent curve to it.
Here's a good place to see this sort of thing:
http://properundead.com/2009/06/procedural-generation-2.html
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7