Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Heyho! Im working on a DF styled multiplayer browser based game  (Read 13531 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Heyho! Andd..Im working on DF Multiplayer
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:11 am »

It's hard enough to make any sort of MP roguelike in the first place

It is not THAT hard. I know, because I am working on MP roguelike myself :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2009, 09:17:39 am »

This is ridiculous, some of you guys should realise what you are saying about someone offering his skills to create a tribute/spin-off version of a game he loves, on his free time, this in the hope of people enjoying it and having fun. Give us a break.

Xam, please don't get discouraged by the few vocal eccentrics around here, I'm sure the vast majority of people here will enjoy the fruits of your labor, and we will all revel in glorious DF tribute fun! Good luck with it!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:18 am »

Xam, please don't get discouraged by the few vocal eccentrics around here, I'm sure the vast majority of people here will enjoy the fruits of your labor, and we will all revel in glorious DF tribute fun! Good luck with it!
I think the biggest gripe people have (I know it's mine... with the general idea) is that it's NOT DF and he's (cleverly?) decided to post on what I would consider a very active and giving($) community that he's making a copy that doesn't have all the elements of the game he's advertising on and adds his own elements (making it NOT Dwarf Fortress.)

It would have been better sold as "Hey guys, I'm making a multiplayer roguelike (or even Dwarf Fortress like) game."  Truth be told though, it is kind of like walking into a GM dealer and telling everyone there that you are making a new car yourself.  You have no pictures and no proof, but you know it will drive on railroads.  ...then expecting everyone to get excited.

Also, it was mentioned above by Armok that the AI in the game is what brings "us" here.  I wholeheartedly disagree. It's the mechanics to me.  80% mechanics, 15% huge worlds, 5% invasions.  I couldn't care less about the dwarfs or their back history themselves.  I'm here to build forts, defend them, and make things from animal parts.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:07 am »

He isn't 'advertising' because he isn't selling anything. Christ.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

He isn't 'advertising' because he isn't selling anything. Christ.
Pronunciation: \ˈad-vər-ˌtīz\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ad·ver·tised; ad·ver·tis·ing
Etymology: Middle English, to pay heed to, observe, notify, from Anglo-French advertiss-, stem of advertir
Date: 15th century

transitive verb 1 : to make something known to : notify
2 a : to make publicly and generally known <advertising their readiness to make concessions> b : to announce publicly especially by a printed notice or a broadcast c : to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize : promote

Advertising doesn't require money, but getting part of any community to follow his project will probably draw donations... so, you have that.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 10:47:33 am »

For the most part, I'd have no problem with this.

My only problem would be that, by his own admission, he has not asked permission by the owner of the game to do this. He has said that he "plans" to email him, though he claims he already has a somewhat working version. Let's say he works on this for the next few months, gets it all pretty and playable (in a alpha-playable sense), and then the owner of Dwarf Fortress says "lolno" at him. He is either going to go against him, that being wrong, or would drop it and have wasted quite a bit of time, that being stupid.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

Toady wouldn't go against, and Dungeon Master is a nice tribute game which is a proof.

Come on, stop quoting dictionaries and discussing the meaning of the thread. It's obvious that the person wanted to sound important and to be noticed, as anyone who works on something for free. He just wanted a bit of love, and you offer nitpicking instead. We're all grown-up people, let's use some tolerance here.

I am not protecting him or something, my first thought was "haha, a forum joke again?", but I am not jumping on him for it. I'd rather wait, it doesn't bother me that much.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 02:46:35 pm »

It's obvious that the person wanted to sound important and to be noticed
Those that are humble will garner my attention, those that seek to inflate their standing will be scrutinized.

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 08:59:31 pm »

ive made some wicked progress! (in my head anyway, i knew this part would be challenging for me)

ive totaly re done my map generator, its now working swishly, creating fractal maps of temp, rainfall, etc and then assigning biome areas based on it

@JakeTamber : I've clearly stated my attitude in previous posts! If toady says no then its a no. And it wouldnt be a waste of my time either, as i am constantly learning new programming things :D

xam

• Bay Watcher
  • hey hey hey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 09:43:57 pm »

Ok heres the basic map ive made:
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8131/mapjw.jpg

(im the little matey in the middle)

WASD to move, all updates in realtime. its showing the rainfall values (and colours representing them) at the moment

this is the result of my map gen script:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9131/rainfallfracgen.jpg

as you can see on the map, each square has a colour, a text value and a text colour. this will eventually be set by square type, object on square, player on square, z layer below/etc

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:41 am »

0.0 I don't get it.. The your map gen script made... the sky? lol

Apart from that I love what you're doing. The DF community is famous in how helpyful and nice it is. I'm guessing that you just wanted peoples help/opinions.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:54 am »

I think the biggest gripe people have (I know it's mine... with the general idea) is that it's NOT DF and he's (cleverly?) decided to post on what I would consider a very active and giving($) community that he's making a copy that doesn't have all the elements of the game he's advertising on and adds his own elements (making it NOT Dwarf Fortress.)

It would have been better sold as "Hey guys, I'm making a multiplayer roguelike (or even Dwarf Fortress like) game."  Truth be told though, it is kind of like walking into a GM dealer and telling everyone there that you are making a new car yourself.  You have no pictures and no proof, but you know it will drive on railroads.  ...then expecting everyone to get excited.

You realize you're probably reading way, way too much into this, right? You act like he's out for money and I doubt he even expects or cares about getting donations. He's just some guy making some game in his spare time. The only major thing he did wrong was implying that it was more closely-related to DF than it is. Chill out.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2009, 03:56:36 am »

Sounds like a laugh and a half.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2009, 06:18:45 am »

This sounds like at the very least, it'd be amusing.
Bonus points if you give everyone the tools that can be used to create weapons of mass murder.

Because in the end, isn't that what MMG's are all about?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2009, 07:44:34 am »

0.0 I don't get it.. The your map gen script made... the sky? lol

Apart from that I love what you're doing. The DF community is famous in how helpyful and nice it is. I'm guessing that you just wanted peoples help/opinions.
Insert [sarcasm] tags, someone may get your jokes too seriously.
It's obvious that his program allows to make a heightmap. It's quite a good start, there're hundred ways to make it, but if it works it's already something.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7