Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems with modding weapons  (Read 1356 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with modding weapons
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:02:09 pm »

I just have a few questions to ask about weapons modding since I'm still relatively new to this.

1) Can you put multiple damage types on a single weapon (slash/pierce, etc.)? I thought swords used to have that on them, but that may have been a dream.

2) Can you make weapons that have the Burn/Heat/Cold tag on them, or is that only allowed for creature attacks?

I had this idea for a sort of exploding arrow -- a projectile with the HEAT and GORE tags on it, which would hopefully result in an enemy exploding into burning chunks when the weapon crits.

Does anyone with more experience in modding have some advice for me on this?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Problems with modding weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:05 pm »

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I -think- you can give them burn/heat/cold, as I remember reading a thread where someone was doing such to simulate magical weapons.  However, I -also- seem to recall reading that a weapon with two damage types only does the first.  Again, I'm not really too up-to-date with weapon modding, so don't take my word for it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »

I'm quite certain that burn/heat/cold damage works on weapons, but if you give it more than one damage type, either the first or the last one in the file will be used. Can't remember which. In any case, it'll do the same damage type each time, so you can't go for randomness either.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:53:33 pm »

Alright, I set it to use only the HEAT tag, which the Wiki says causes the target to ignite on a crit, but when I tested the weapon out in fortress mode they didn't cause the fiery apocalypse I was hoping for.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:02:25 pm »

Wouldn't you need [SEVERONBREAKS] to make 'em explode violently?
Also known as Zuhayr.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:24:30 pm »

Wouldn't you need [SEVERONBREAKS] to make 'em explode violently?

Where would I add that tag? In the ammo file or the weapon file?

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:34:43 pm »

In the creature file.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:47:14 pm »

HEAT, COLD, and BURN only change flavor text.  It has no actual temperature effects.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

HEAT, COLD, and BURN only change flavor text.  It has no actual temperature effects.

They also seem to have a higher chance of scoring instant kills, but that might have just been me. As for the first or last for multiple damage tags, the rule is that if you ever have more than one of a tag that can only be used once per entry it goes by the last one in the entry, whether it is in the entity, weapon, or creature files.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:11:28 pm »

Alright, thanks for confirming my suspicions that the line in the wiki about HEAT damage setting things on fire came out of the rear end of a bull.

Now, how can we determine the combat effects of Heat, Cold and Burn damage? i.e. Slash damage tends to cut things off, Bludgeon damage is weaker (there was actually a Toady quote lying around somewhere that confirmed this, I think) but breaks things a lot, Piercing damage is worse for your insides than an organ grinder; Heat/cold/burn should have some noteable effects, too.

I seem to recall Toady once said that the three were all the same except for flavor text, and that they can't send the target flying. That's a good start, I guess.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:47 am »

My limited experience with cold damage had it seemingly mangle whatever body part it hit. Quite possible it was just a fluke though.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 03:00:38 am »

My limited experience with cold damage had it seemingly mangle whatever body part it hit. Quite possible it was just a fluke though.
Cold damage starts off just like a mace, bruising through sheer cold whatever the weapon touches.

Then it starts to freeze things solid, rendering them useless. And if you do enough damage there's instant mangling of body parts. Things don't fly off though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 07:02:37 am »

Yeah, cold/heat damages burn the bodypart AND the organs inside. Burn seems to be almost like HEAT, just with a bit different text.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 07:27:57 am »

I don't know about HEAT, but BURN damage definitely sets things on fire. I have Magma Fiends who have a bite attack that does BURN damage and they set dudes on fire with it all the time; makes armor pretty much useless against them.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:42 am »

I don't know about HEAT, but BURN damage definitely sets things on fire. I have Magma Fiends who have a bite attack that does BURN damage and they set dudes on fire with it all the time; makes armor pretty much useless against them.

Are you sure that its the BURN attack that's causing the fires? Maybe the Magma Fiends have an incredibly high body temperature that just causes the Dwarfs the burst into flames when they come into contact, like Fire Snakes.
Pages: [1] 2