Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How Deep can my Wells Be?  (Read 6439 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: How Deep can my Wells Be?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:53 pm »

Amazing Words & Numbers
Oh my . . . that's just . . . wow.  Brilliant.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:58 pm »

Urist McDwarf... Skilled Mason... Novice Carpenter... Adept Quantum Mechanic...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 06:57:23 pm »

I would say, based upon the quantum-dump and the atom-smasher drawbridge - not to mention their ability to use two unconnected mechanisms to activate objects across any distance - that dwarves are the masters of quantum mechanics.
I have long suspected mechanisms used some sort of 'spooky action at a distance' quantum non-locational physics to operate.
This sounds about right.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:14 pm »

Dwarves:  Masters of Physics and Magma, Prey to common fire.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:14 pm »

How long is a piece of string? (or rope reed rope)

:P

How high is a z-level? I think toady one said something to the effect that they are big enough for 1000 dragons as long as 999 are lying down.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 02:10:53 pm »

Has anyone come out with the hypothesis that the Magic arc is actually finished and magic is so commonplace that nobody in the game thinks anything of it?

A rope that extends to any length can be made by any dwarf, elf, human, etc. Tearing apart a wall into a single small chuck of stone which can be used to put up an identical wall anywhere else. Telekinetic lever-activated mechanisms. Universal mechanisms.

My money is on Dwarves using mechanical magic. They just see it as indistinguishable from technology.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »

I would say, based upon the quantum-dump and the atom-smasher drawbridge - not to mention their ability to use two unconnected mechanisms to activate objects across any distance - that dwarves are the masters of quantum mechanics.
I have long suspected mechanisms used some sort of 'spooky action at a distance' quantum non-locational physics to operate.

If you look real close you can see the dwarfs lay cables as they walk from the lever to the floodgate.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:43 pm »

How long is a piece of string? (or rope reed rope)

:P
Well actually Today has given them lengths for the medical stuff we're going to be seeing soonish :o

now I wonder... is the value in happy thoughts of a well related to teh depth to the water, or the depth to the bottom, and is the water drawing speed related to the same or the other?

Might it be quite possible to have a very good well going to the deepest level that is filled to the level of the well to maximize both speed and happiness potential?
I know you've got speed right but quality could go either way. However I don't think changing water levels should alter room value a tile at a time so I'd guess it was just top to bottom.

Good work, Leo. I am amazed. You get sunglasses. 8)
Of course, keep in mind that a gold chain (apparently) fulfills the same function as a "hemp" rope.

The density of gold is 19.3 g/cm^3. However, I think that this is obviously not realistic, I don't think that gold would support itself because of its softness. But what about iron, average density of 7.9 g/cm^3?

I would guess that the density of hemp/pig tail/rope reed rope is between that of wood and water. That is, between 0.7 g/cm^3 and 1.0g/cm^3. Let's say 0.9g/cm^3 for hemp.

I'm just laying out these numbers, I'm much too lazy to do something amazing like Leo.
I don't think the Dwarves could purify gold to that extend though.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:03 pm »

now I wonder... is the value in happy thoughts of a well related to teh depth to the water, or the depth to the bottom, and is the water drawing speed related to the same or the other?

Might it be quite possible to have a very good well going to the deepest level that is filled to the level of the well to maximize both speed and happiness potential?

Given that a well is considered dry if the top level has 2/7 water, even if there are 49 more level at 7/7 below that, I suspect the depth to the first water level is what counts.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]