Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Deep can my Wells Be?  (Read 6440 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
How Deep can my Wells Be?
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:25:04 am »

On my most recent fortress, the only water supply is a great distance below the place I plan on building my fortress.  I was wondering if there is a limit on the distance between the top of the well, and the water level for the well to work?  I.E. If I were to simply channel the water to a place under the fortress, and dig a massive shaft up to where I want the well to be, would the well work, or would it be too far away from the water?  Not sure about the exact height, but I can find out if I need to.

Thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Deep can my Wells Be?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:28:06 am »

I believe there's no limit, but a deeper shaft means it takes longer to draw water from. Going from what I've read, I rarely need to do more than one or two levels thanks to aquifers so I don't have any firsthand experience.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:10:59 am »

I regularly build my wells 5 or more levels deep, for fun.  The other day I saw something I'd never noticed before:  if you're looking at the levels below the well, you can actually see the bucket moving up and down!  Cool!
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:17:45 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've tried to have wells that were multiple z-levels above the water and it didn't work...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:28:26 pm »

I could've sworn that the wiki lists a max of 4 z-levels.  Any deeper and your well won't do anything.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:32:47 pm »

I regularly build my wells 5 or more levels deep, for fun.  The other day I saw something I'd never noticed before:  if you're looking at the levels below the well, you can actually see the bucket moving up and down!  Cool!
I could've sworn that the wiki lists a max of 4 z-levels.  Any deeper and your well won't do anything.
???
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:34:17 pm »

Deeper wells are worth more to dwarves.  I've had shoddily constructed wells that still made the dwarves around them happy by looking at them -- I attribute this to their depth.

Wells do work over multiple z-levels, but I don't think I've ever used one more than five z-levels below the dining room.  Give it a try, let us know, but AFAIK, it should work just fine.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:40:29 pm »

Well, I just finished getting the water channeled under it and it seems to work.  No one's needed to use it yet, but it says it's active (as opposed to "dry").  The surface of the water is about 33 z-levels below the well, so if the depth of the shaft makes a difference, it should be a noticeable one :P

If anything changes I'll let you know.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »

that well is going to be slooooooowww.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:27 pm »

In Mountainbanners the irrigation wells were 26 z-levels above the brook, there is no definite limit to how deep  a well can be.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

that well is going to be slooooooowww.

Probably, but I should only need it for wounded dwarves, assuming the brewer doesn't get himself killed by the giant bat that's been circling the plateau I'm building on...

Besides, I bought extra rope from the traders, so I can always build a couple extra if the need is great enough.

In Mountainbanners the irrigation wells were 26 z-levels above the brook, there is no definite limit to how deep  a well can be.

Good to know it will actually function instead of just looking like it will, thanks!

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:27:30 pm »

How long is a piece of string? (or rope reed rope)

:P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:30:06 pm »

This requires testing.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:03 pm »

As far as I can tell, DF ropes exhibit quantum properties. Maybe it has to do with the the string theory!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »

When I read that deeper wells make Dorfs happier, I started building all my wells to the bottom Z level, my record is about 20 levels and it works fine, although drawing the water takes a fair while. I will check actual depth when I get home.
Pages: [1] 2 3