Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just Press Start Interview  (Read 2199 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Just Press Start Interview
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:23 am »

Tried to listen to it, couldn't do it. And I could listen to Tarn talk about DF all day long.
Why did they have to screw around with the voices and overlay the whole thing with music? Really, really weird. If one of you guys who does the show reads this, I'm sorry, but you should seriously reconsider your use of the medium of sound.

EDIT: Hmm.. this does come off as a bit of a whinge. It's just such a shame to miss out on what could have been a perfectly good interview.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:53:25 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Just Press Start Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:42:34 am »

The left-right thing did bother me for a while, especially since the mics were obviously different qualities. I think it was done over skype, but they could have mixed it afterwards. I imagine it would have been much more difficult to tolerate with headphones, but other people could be more used to it I guess, hehe.

I thought the first guy was a little rude. If that's his thing, ok. But Toady did take like an hour out of his time to talk to them, so calling that a 'dubious pleasure' is a little bit irritating. I dunno. Overall pretty average interview, not a lot of new info. It's always cool to see interest in DF by various medias.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »

Can't believe the neither the Valve trip nor the Wathammer thing were brought up.

Eh, the beginning was kinda mediocre, but it was pretty good, in general. It kind peaved me in the middle when the host started doing normal wrap-up talk, then it just kept going for another half hour. Overall, I liked it, but I already know a lot of people are gonna be pissed that the host kept jumping in and interrupting Toady, even though that's how many people have conversation. It just proves to me the host is actually paying attention and know what he's talking about.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 01:44:48 pm »

Tarn Adams, a mushroom coming out of a horse's ass.

I thought the first guy was a little rude. If that's his thing, ok. But Toady did take like an hour out of his time to talk to them, so calling that a 'dubious pleasure' is a little bit irritating. I dunno.

He was just kidding around, I think.  Interviewers need a little aggression to counterbalance their respect.

I already know a lot of people are gonna be pissed that the host kept jumping in and interrupting Toady, even though that's how many people have conversation. It just proves to me the host is actually paying attention and know what he's talking about.

Well, not all interruption is created equal.  It only gets bad once it's totally throwing conversations off the rails.  I didn't catch that happening here.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:19 pm »

I was too busy being intrigued to be bothered by the overall production.  With the music and the stereo, it kind of sounded like the listener was standing in between two people having a conversation in an elevator.  It reminded me of Bladerunner for some reason.

He he, yeah, I forgot I said that about the horse.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:34:46 pm »

ran out of time; imprtnant shool stuff tomorow; This is a placehoder to remind me to in outhmost lenght describe my cultish fanatic and creepy and blind devotion to Toady as brought up by his doubts in the interview; You have real fans that genuinly think what you do can not be replaced by something better and would suport you regardless of anything, simply because of who you are;
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:47:17 pm »

oh god the reverb

:Edit: Was toady in a cave?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:55:30 pm by Sir Finkus »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:54:10 pm »

Yeah, the guy introducing the interview sounded like a jerk. But the actual interviewer seemed fine to me.

Looking forward to hearing the raw version.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 04:17:13 pm »

This is a placehoder to remind me to in outhmost lenght describe my cultish fanatic and creepy and blind devotion to Toady as brought up by his doubts in the interview;

Dude, please just email it to him or something.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 04:40:07 pm »

I just started listening to it, and the opening guy seemed slightly obnoxious in that radio-show-host kind of way that's probably half-intentional.

Personally I think the concept of "having" to get a game the minute it comes out betrays a seriously warped attitude in our society. I never really understood people seeming like they can't wait a while to play something, or watch something, or whatever. You just end up wasting money most of the time. That's sort of tangential to the interview, though, so eh.

The production really does annoy me. This is almost impossible to listen to on headphones comfortably, because I've got one voice only coming out of one channel, so it sounds horribly unnatural, and Toady has this bizarre and artificial reverb.

It wouldn't be as bad on speakers because then it'll just sound like the guy's to the left of me, but I'm using headphones so this is all kind of hallucinatory-sounding and freakish.

The first guy talking just sounds like too much of a radio DJ to me. I don't know how else to put my finger on it. It's like he's trying too hard.

Edit: Later in the interview, they totally drop the naive reverb effect thing on Toady's voice. Kind of weird.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:54:40 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »

The production made it chilled and eerie... and what Toady was talking about was great as usual.  Threetoe's fortresses sound hilarious.   :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »

It sounds like I'm a wizard watching the discussion through a magic mirror.

JeffOrt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »

Hello, all.

Xeserox and I appreciate the feedback.  I had no idea the reverb was so bad... I am thinking about switching to a headset- perhaps I'll do it sooner rather than later.
Please keep in mind that we're brand new to this stuff, so it will take us a little while to find our footing.  We were going for just a conversation type of feel, hence the switching from side to side on the audio.  That's something else we may try to do away with.  We've been told that static interviews on this type of station are too "dry" by our listeners, so ergo the music.  We may or may not stick with that format.  As I said to Toady, his interview was greatly appreciated by us.  We're hoping it will get other listeners who don't know the game to come take a look.  Also, I spoke to Xes about his "dubious" comment... He's recovering nicely.

We'll be posting the rest of the chat shortly.  Tarn and I covered a LOT more than the game itself, but we had to keep the show to a timeframe! 

Thanks very much again for the feedback, and please keep listening. 

Jeff Ortloff

-Just Press Start
www.firebrandradio.com

JeffOrt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »

Having just spoken to Xeserox, I realize I will have to buy him a thesaurus for Christmas, as he thought "dubious" meant "privilege."  Xes apologized and will apologize on ep5 for being a tool.  In fact, he's going to re-edit and re-post the interview ASAP.  Thank you for pointing this out - (I need to listen to post-prod before we post shows).

-Jeff

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:15:19 pm »

Interessant.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3