Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Just Press Start Interview  (Read 2190 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Just Press Start Interview
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:24 pm »

Having just spoken to Xeserox, I realize I will have to buy him a thesaurus for Christmas, as he thought "dubious" meant "privilege."  Xes apologized and will apologize on ep5 for being a tool.  In fact, he's going to re-edit and re-post the interview ASAP.  Thank you for pointing this out - (I need to listen to post-prod before we post shows).

-Jeff

Haha that's ok. I don't think anyone is going to hold a grudge about it, except maybe Armok O.o He's our neighborhood frighteningly obsessed fan. Just listen for gibbering about beards for a few weeks outside your house, and you'll have ample forewarning of any vandalous poo-slinging pressure plates that may replace your paving stones.

I figured he was mostly trying to be a little snarky and that it wasn't his real intention to offend anyone or bash Toady and what he does. 'Dubious' is just a little bit strong in that case. But yeah, that kind of mistake in word choice happens more often than people would like, especially with words that are used in places that their opposites often are as well  ;D Don't be too embarrassed Xeserox! For the longest time I had no idea what 'ambivalent' actually meant.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:01:54 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:55:00 pm »

Interview was ok, anticipating extended version. Music in the background is ok, it was quiet enough not to get in the way. Reverb irritating, but livable. Sounds more like bad web audio than a real effect.

That L-R split thing is so abysmal though, I had to re-encode it before I could listen to it. Totally distracts from the content, and because toady is talking for most of the time, means you're listening with one ear.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:25:50 pm »

I'll definitely give it a listen if the Left/Right feature is fixed. Do let us know if you post an "updated" version

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 11:29:45 pm »

I'll definitely give it a listen if the Left/Right feature is fixed. Do let us know if you post an "updated" version

If it's that irritating, you can put your audio player in mono mode (as opposed to stereo).  Winamp, for example, has a "Force Mono" option under the Playback section of Preferences.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:31:41 pm by Footkerchief »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »

If you edit out the mistake you are effectively censoring history and I will never listen to another one of your podcasts.   

Ever.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:07 am »

If you edit out the mistake you are effectively censoring history and I will never listen to another one of your podcasts.   

Ever.
Is... is it bad that I can't tell whether he's joking or not?  :-\
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 12:20:31 am »

Joking or not, is it a risk they can afford?

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:35 am »

Go easy on him. Xes takes a good chunk of the intro apologizing for the mistake, so its not like the new version is to make it seem like it never happened.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:57 am »

Hello, all.

Xeserox and I appreciate the feedback.  I had no idea the reverb was so bad... I am thinking about switching to a headset- perhaps I'll do it sooner rather than later.
Please keep in mind that we're brand new to this stuff, so it will take us a little while to find our footing.  We were going for just a conversation type of feel, hence the switching from side to side on the audio.

This probably works okay if you're on speakers, but if you're on headphones, it doesn't sound like it's coming from different sides. Think about it this way: When you hear something from your left, it still reaches both ears. It just reaches one faster (and slightly different) from the other. If you hear something literally only in one ear, then it sounds unnatural, and if it's a person speaking for a long time it just sounds like your ears are broken or something.

We've been told that static interviews on this type of station are too "dry" by our listeners, so ergo the music.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't find the music distracting. Stick to soft, ambient type stuff like that.

Having finished listening to the whole interview, I think it was pretty decent, actually. One thing I noticed though is that some of the things Tarn says might not make a lot of sense to people who don't know about the game already. For instance, they have no real reason to know what a "raw" is, or what "greening [something] out" on the list of development items means specifically, although that might be apparent from context. Really, that's more a suggestion for him than it is for the interviewer.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cooz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 06:18:48 am »

Here's an encoded version for all those who have problems with switching it to mono: JPS Interview Reencoded

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 06:42:38 am »

Ok, so here's finaly my post:

I can agree the production of the interview itself was a bit shaky, but as stated they are new at this and the part that was actually rude was just a slip of words, so I'll forgive them.

To outermost length I am cultisly fanatically and creepily and blindly devoted to Toady.
Toady, you have real fans that genuinly think what you do can not be replaced by something better and would suport you regardless of anything, simply because of who you are. Even if DF was gone I would stay here and keep supoerting you at whatever your next project is. The thing that makes DF great is not the setting or the massive amount of fetures and detail implemented (those, after all, are still very much alpha stage, and as such could not support something being better than other games by themselves), It is the care for detail, humor, inovativness in each detail, and fundamental understanding a game shuld truly be abaut, it is the style at wich you do art, and those things still persist in whatever other projects you make. Anything you spent an equal amount of time and care on would almost certainly be just as far Beyond Quality.

Neighborhood frighteningly obsessed fan, eh? Well I guess that is kinda corect, thou I have probably droped a bit from the literally-die-for-it, I'm probably still obsessed enoguht to kill for it, given extreme enough circumstances. (I wouldn't kill for the game itself, but I'd certainly kill someone else to save Toadys life, if I could get away with it. Please ignore this statement if this kind of stuff is illegal somewhere... )

- hugs, Armok. ^_^

P.S. You say creepy, you get creepy...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:25 am »

I really liked the interview. The questions were really good, reaching a bit further into Toady's mind than other interviews and I rather enjoyed the editing too. Though I did listen to it on speakers, so there wasn't an illusion of shoving my head between a conversation.

I think new things have to be tried in all media to keep staleness away. The background music and left-right diversion between speakers were really interesting changes that distracted me by fascination instead of irritation.

Looking forward to the raw interview, in any form.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:51:05 am by LASD »

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »

Questions were very good, that reverb thing was awful.  I was hearing Toady's echo voice in my left ear, where it didn't belong.  If you're going to split the channels split them completely.  I didn't mind the split, but the reverb (if it was intentional?) was pants.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »

Oh god the reverb made me want to tear my left ear off. Left/right split is ok, but if you make it so that you CAN still hear them in the other ear, just a lot quieter, and in sync instead of delayed, it will be better.

The music got annoying almost as fast as the reverb.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 10:00:35 pm »

Anyone happen to know the status of the extended version?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3