Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Bigger Siege Engines  (Read 11171 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger Siege Engines
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 05:22:25 pm »

most rulers had a  core people with some reading skill to run taxs and the like.
yes newton laws are need to design a good any thing look at Roman military engineering.
look at De architectura.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:59 pm »

So what you're saying is that if you gave a bunch of freshman physics students a bunch of materials and tools, that without making any calculations not one of them could figure out how to build a working trebuchet?

It certainly helps. Especially if you want to build something in one go, and pre-design it. But it is not necessary.

What ever happened to Trial and Error? Are you saying someone couldn't figure out over time? What happened to Scientific Method? What about simple Problem Solving?

To do so efficiently and quickly is a skilled task. To do so perfectly requires masterful knowledge (and masterful design, brought about by mathematics and early physics). However, to simply build a working engine takes nothing more than an idea, materials and experimentation. Simply put, the process of invention.

Just about every one of us here could build a working small trebuchet given the knowledge of what one is, the materials, the tools, and the time to experiment with different methods. Assuming some of us didn't give up in frustration of failed attempts.

I'm sure modern University Freshmen could probably make a working Trebuchet in a few months or so if they had enough resources, it probably wouldn't be a very good Trebuchet, but it would probably fire in the right direction most of the time.

But we're not dealing with modern University Freshmen, we're dealing with 14th century men, probably peasants, since you don't have enough nobles to operate all your siege engines and learning how to be a siege engineer isn't considered a very glorious occupation; most nobles were knights and therefore 'squad leaders' so to speak; siege mechanics such as sapping and the construction and operation of siege engines wasn't really very glorious and was quite difficult, so it wasn't commonly picked up by nobles.

What ever happened to Trial and Error? Are you saying someone couldn't figure out over time? What happened to Scientific Method? What about simple Problem Solving?

14th century, nobody knew what the scientific method was, and trial and error didn't work because if your catapult broke the general would flog you for screwing up. And hell be upon you if the damn thing hit your own troops, then you'd be in the shit.

And of course lets say one person does figure it out over time; there's no real formal education nor means of transferring technical information from person to person; such information transfer relies on literacy, but many siege engineers hid their inventions and ideas behind layers of code or simply never wrote anything down because they didn't want anyone stealing their ideas. The Trebuchet is actually an excellent example; they were re-invented about four times over the course of about 120 odd years as each engineer worked out how they worked and then was either unable or unwilling to tell anyone else.

I see what the problem is now; you're looking at this from a modern perspective. From a modern perspective yes it's pretty easy, but from the perspective of a man in the 14th century siege engineering, mathematics, ballistics, these were the Quantum Physics and String Theory of their time; wierd, incomprehensible and a little scary. I remember reading an excerpt from a record of a (French i think) King in the late 13th century talking about how a hired siege engineer demonstrated his skills by putting together a small catapult and hitting a haystack at 300 yards on the first try. To the King this was an amazing feat, to the man ovbiously it was a matter of mathematics and experience, he probably had a basic understanding of ballistics too, but the idea that all these numbers and lines on a paper could somehow result in a catapult planting a rock on target on the first shot was completely alien to these people.

Basically; you're seriously overestimating the level of knowledge and ability the average 14th century man had.

We keep coming back to "expensive and slow". If you're a king facing a war, you generally are going to be spending money to keep your assets. Namely to keep your kingdom and your title as King. It's a worthy investment. At least I think so. Money should not be the biggest issue here.

I did also say, and I quote: "If time is an issue, then it's a different matter. To build a working engine from raw materials efficiently and quickly would be a rather skilled task, and would be difficult."

I meant more the time it takes to train the siege engineers, although the time it takes to build the engines themselves is pretty important. It's kind of hard to make a fortified city surrender when all your siege engines keep falling apart.

As for 'money should not be the biggest issue'? You're either vastly overestimating how much money your average European King had access to, or vastly underestimating how much money it costs to fund a war, or both.

Wars were expensive, hell they still are. More than one country was bankrupted by war, i think France was, i know Rome was, twice, and Alexander would have bankrupted his empire to fund his war machine if he hadn't died before then.

It costs an inordinate amount of time and money to train and equip tens or hundreds of thousands of soldiers and an even more inordinate amount of upkeep. Why do you think so many kings palmed the responsibility to supply men, arms or weapons onto their vassals? Because they couldn't afford to fund an entire army on their own without bankrupting themselves.

Can i just add that these problems aren't neccessarily unique to 14th century lords? When America went to war in Iraq their Generals ran into a rather large problem; they did not have enough troops to take and hold Iraq and maintain a military presence elsewhere. The problem of troops is not unique to medieval times; maintaining a large enough army to meaningfully invade somone is too expensive to do for any reasonable length of time, but increasing the size of your army takes too long and costs too much to make it feasible to invade somone on short notice. It's a bit of a catch 22 actually; you can't afford to maintain a large army because it costs too much, but you can't afford to make your small maintainable army bigger during wartime because it takes too long.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:22:09 pm by Neruz »

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 11:27:44 pm »

Considering that early trebuchets started showing up around 400 BC, fully developed versions using counterweights were present by 1200 AD, and they were obsolete by 1500, I think it's pretty clear that Newton's laws (circa 1650 AD) were not necessary for their design or use.  And yes, siege engines were quite technical for the time period, but that doesn't mean they weren't built and used effectively.  You can go quite a ways with systematic trial and error, which was certainly in use at the time.  And we all know that dwarfs are quite good at technical, trial and error, and crazy mechanical contraptions.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2009, 12:28:13 am »

Oh it can be done.  The problem is cost.  You're going to need to build a bunch of trebuchets of different sizes and with different proportions to determine the optimum setup and the math for determining the range at which they'll drop rocks.  In the process of doing so you'll likely have several machines smash themselves.  If you didn't learn if from someone who had allready done the experimentation you wouldn't be able to build trebuchets that would reliably fire in the right direction until you were proficient and wouldn't be able to hit targets until you were highly skilled.  And it would be a seperate skill from building other siege weapons because it requires different math.  Each trebuchet would take a lot of wood, you wouldn't know if it worked until you fired it, and when you fired it it might smash itself losing the wood and injuring the operator. 

A badly designed catapult doesn't shoot with as much force as it should.  It may send chunks of the arms flying.  It's fairly obvious which direction to err in to achieve the former rather than the latter.  A badly designed trebuchet drops the projectile in the wrong place.  Possibly on something you don't want smashed.  Possibly itself.  And while safer to stand near than a self destructing cannon a self destructing trebuchet is not going to be safe. 

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:17 am »

Considering that early trebuchets started showing up around 400 BC, fully developed versions using counterweights were present by 1200 AD, and they were obsolete by 1500, I think it's pretty clear that Newton's laws (circa 1650 AD) were not necessary for their design or use.  And yes, siege engines were quite technical for the time period, but that doesn't mean they weren't built and used effectively.  You can go quite a ways with systematic trial and error, which was certainly in use at the time.  And we all know that dwarfs are quite good at technical, trial and error, and crazy mechanical contraptions.

Of course they were, they just weren't called Newton's laws.

What, you think Newton was the first person to discover that when you drop things they fall?

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2009, 02:00:45 am »

In a situation like DF where money is more or less irrelevant when it comes to trade and bartering goods is the approach to aquiring things you don't have and your labour force does what you tell them for free, only earning 'cyber cash' when economy is active and there is no hard cash, issues of cost are out the window essentially, even if you can't make the parts you need, you just trade for them by requesting them and trading X amount of kitten mittens

Also all creatures great and small, including sentients, have a sort of understanding of these basic concepts of physics, like if you are going to jump a large gap you know you will probably fall in the middle, etc. etc., so with time aquiring experience via experimentation, which is more than allowable for dwarves I imagine given they are supposed to be more mechanically minded anyway just keep them building again and again improving their skill and eventually they won't make one that screws up =P

Can we try keep this discussion objective by the way, its becoming kind of disorientating what people are actually talking about here

Also, self-destructing cannons are not pleasant, one wrong thickness in the cast iron shell of a cannon and you got shrapnel coming you way

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2009, 02:02:45 am »

But then the bit where all can have their cake and eat it (I confess I don't understand what that means, but it feels appropiate),

You can't "have your cake and eat it too," because the minute you eat the cake, you no longer have cake.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2009, 02:03:13 am »

But then the bit where all can have their cake and eat it (I confess I don't understand what that means, but it feels appropiate),

You can't "have your cake and eat it too," because the minute you eat the cake, you no longer have cake.

Technically you do...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 03:09:07 am »

Technically you do...
IN YO BELLAH, anyways, scaling siege weapons should be limited, and siege towers/shields/buggies should be added into the game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2009, 06:10:36 am »

Of course they were, they just weren't called Newton's laws.

What, you think Newton was the first person to discover that when you drop things they fall?
Um...no. Newton was the first to figure out that earth-round-sun for same reason that apple falls.

What these guys thought was Aristotelian physics- ether is above fire is above air is above water is above earth. ( I may have this order wrong.) Anything else tries to find its natural place - fire tries to rise from its source, making flickering and smoke. Water and earth will fall to try to get to that below-air space.

Naturally, this screws up with projectiles, which is why he invented impetus theory- throwing or propelling something gi'es it an amount of impetus, and it'll fly in a straight line until it runs out, then fall. (This is reasonably accurate, thanks to air resistance- VR physics simulations run on impetus theory don't make people think something funny's going on.)

Trial and error didn't really catch on until Galileo and co- the leading method was to sit down and think it out, like Aristotle.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:19 am »

Also Trial and Error wasn't JUST unused because people would get flogged for their failure, in fact the flogging is a subset of the real problem

The problem is that Trial and Error is most importantly EXPENSIVE! Few people would have had the cash to keep building and rebuilding siege engines to see if they would work.

The number of inventions Leonardo Divinchi actually tested is testiment to that. I think the number floats around 0. (though good thing too... Most of his inventions wouldn't have worked and he would have been killed... Then again he was a grave robber)

Though there is one thing that people did do trial and error with and that was with firing siege engines. They often would mark what produced the effect so that they could accurately predict where their shot would land everytime.

Newton was the first to figure out that earth-round-sun for same reason that apple falls

Little known fact was that Newton was a firm believer of alchemy and I believe magic in general. Some people even go as far as to say that Newton didn't really consider his work in physics as valuable as his work in alchemy

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 07:19:13 am »

If you want your trebuchet to put the rock where you want it you need math.  Where you want it is not behind you or on top of your head.  Really, for someone who took freshman physics you seem to be underestimating the difficulty.  Try designing a trebuchet without using any of Newton's laws of motion.  Newton was born in 1643 and didn't publish his Principia Mathematica until 1687.  You designed a trebuchet using mathematical methods developed allmost three centuries after the end-date Toad'ys given for Dwarf Fortress technology.
Actually, I'd disagree here.  Trial and error was probably the method of getting things to work, i.e. experience.

At least some diarists/chroniclers seemed to think that a projectile object flew not in a parabola but high over the target then straight down, and whether or not the operators thought this (having only seen them fly from the launching platform POV, where the true trajectory isn't so clear) or were wiser than that[1], it still does not matter if the practical experience of operating a trebuchet means that the operator knows that by lenghtening the sling-rope by so much, and bending the release hook by just the right amount with a given amount of weight of stones in the counterweight and a particular load means that something should land more or less on top of the fortification wall a certain distance away, and that if it doesn't, he knows what to adjust, and by how much, to get a better shot the next time round...

There may have been semi-formal rules of thumb invented, as well, but it wouldn't have been particularly fancy stuff.  Perhaps approximating some elements of F=ma, but not going so far as d=v^2.sin(2theta)/g (which should be adjusted for terrain and launch height, and completely ignores the air resistance that would plague cow carcasses more than it would large rocks).

[1] Just like sailors tended to long know that the Earth was round, even when some scholars in their not-so-ivory towers repeated the 'old truth' without even thinking to practically check the view from different hights of their particular tower...

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 08:19:19 am »

Could we just say that we have different families of siege engines where some are simple and some are complicated and so the more skilled an engineer is the complicated thing they can do. (Also by families I mean groups of siege engines that behave similarly, like mangonels, catapults and trebuchets being in a family I'd call catapults)

For example, a battering ram being the simplest and crazy dwarven goodness *go giant drill go!* being the most complicated, probably with catapults and ballista being in the middle, though maybe ballista are simpler to make, but harder to improve, while catapults are harder to make and simpler to improve.

Can we just drop the issues of training, cost for now, really there is no point addressing them until there are systems of education and the economy is fleshed out more, really when those come around debate would be on how they effect other things, no point making the axle before the wheel, or whatever would illustrate =P

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:46 am »

Going for handheld, and inserting 2x2 into the mix (because 5x5 really seems too big, so reclass 3x3 as massive).

Size\Type
ChuckSlingLooseBashClimb
Handheld (personal weapon)AtlatlSlingshot(Cross)bowSledgehammerGrappling hook
1x1 (two-dwarf portable)Onager?ScorpioSmall ramLadder
2x2 (built in place/haulable, faster/multi-shot)Mangonel?PolybolosBattering ramSiege Platform
3x3 (built in place, or with wheels for beast-haulage)CatapultTrebuchetBallistaRoofed ram Siege Tower
Explosive (just for completeness)Mortar?Rocket?CanonPetard!!RocketPack!!

Dwarfpower[1]-wise, I'd say only one dwarf needed to operate all these, though two/three dwarf-teams needed to dwarfhandle the portables to where they are needed, after workshop manufacture and during the turning tides of battle, and 2x2s and suitably large beast/set of beasts needed to haul the 3x3, if constructed with wheels.  Also a team of (say) 3 could speed up the 3x3 projectile items (loader, aimer, firer) mean the ram force wasn't insignificant and keep the tower servicable under enemy reprisals (once the bull elephant has been coerced into shoving it into position) on top of the latter's need for troops to take advantage of the created entryway.

The slingers and, to lesser extent, the chucker would need a headroom for their shots appropriate to their ballistic track.  Ditto the larger towers (extensible in situ, according to need, as long as they're not needing repairing) along their path of dragging.  This might feed into the Improved Pathing Algorithm discussions (at least some of the more extreme blue-sky-thinking parts).

[1] As I said before, I don't think dwarfs would use the likes of Siege Towers in attacking, but instead rely on sappers for the same sort of purpose, coming up through the floor, if not collapsing sections of the wall in ways the current cave-in system doesn't allow.  Differing cultures would have favouritism/disregard for various classes of weaponry.  Material differences and effectiveness, also possible through [RAW] definitions.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 10:37:06 am »

I like the concept of foot soldier siege weapons, I'd be inclined to say its two, but then I can imagine the problems of actually getting two to stick together *imagines one run off in the heat of battle to grab a tallow roast* though I'd say as a penalty they'd go slower, as I imagine them being in the heat of battle with their giant slingshot slamming it into the ground with their bare fists (hammer), then pulling out one stone after and firing them into the opposition knocking out foe after foe, or mini ballista bolt after ballista bolt.

Though I don't think there should be so much of the explosive stuff, doesn't really fit with the DF tech thing, though admittedly, when magic is thrown in the mix, maybe this area will be looked ata again, using wizardy instead of chemistry. Though with the jump stuff I like the idea of using it like a pressure cannon, which could possibly fit the bill too and not be impossible for dwarf tech.

I like the choice of family ideas also being types of damage or approach than the different... stuff?

Though I called the Loose family a 'direct fire' sort of thing =P

And I sort of just realised how complaining about the debate of cost and training was sort of rude... sorry about that, but it kind of felt frustrating how no progress was being made
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8