Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13933 times)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

Magma has absolutely spoiled me, although if I'm looking around for something else in particular (like a high-evil biome or somesuch), I might make do with some heavy forest.

Though really, I very rarely do much with magma.  Once - ONCE - I had a full-blown armory churning out (and then melting down) iron weapons and armor in an attempt to get a legendary weapon and armor smith.  Unfortunately my furnace operators could not by any means outpace my smith, and I started getting backed up...

But that was ONCE.  Usually I'm content to just arm my military with standard equipment.  It's enough to take care of the goblins, at least, and since I rarely do more than vanilla DF, it's all I've needed so far.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2009, 03:21:12 pm »

I would rather encase a misbehaving dwarf in obsidian  ;D

"I want him alive. AND NO INCINERATIONS!" Said Urist McVader

Urist McSolo cancels breathing: being incased in Obsidian
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:40 pm »

An ode to the Magma.

Can magma spoil one?
I have to say no.
Magma makes for fun,
for those down below.

Tantruming peons?
Nobles always whine?
Seiges last eons?
Magma works just fine.

When elves come to trade,
they will soon admire.
Never getting paid,
only burning in fire.

Goblins will soon come,
to knock at the door.
Add magma to some,
to make iron ore.

With forges and traps,
and purges to boot,
its needed on maps.
I find your point moot.

Edit: Wow, that college Lit class is really messing with my mind  :-\
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:26:51 pm by alway »

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »

I don't get how you people have so much Fun with magma. Unless you're doing tricky things and pumping it in weird ways, you pretty much have to be trying to destroy your fort with it, for it to do anything bad to you.

Fire imps can be another question, of course. Also, has anybody ever found a way to make that lone magma man that's ALWAYS at the very bottom of my magma pipes, come out and play?

Strangely enough I sifted through the raws after reading this and learned that the Magma man learns to swim as opposed to doing it innately, but doesnt actually have a [CAN_LEARN] tag

After adding one i observe my magma man is gaining swimming experience, I smell fun on the horizon, he is level 1 swimming right now right now

On another note, I love the ode above and it more or less symbolises my view, though I drown my foes more often than burn, at least in the beginning when all those bone bolts can sure come in handy XP

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »

Sure does make it easier and for some projects without it I would not bother.  Current project: 14 story 180x180 step-ish piramid out of glass of course.  Already laid 6k glass blocks, not something I would take time to produce in the desert without magma. 

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 08:01:02 pm »

Bah! Magma Shmagma! True dwarves burn every tree in sight and raise 10 z level high walls of shining white marble.  True dwarves pour water over  the edges of their walls, cleaning their enemies and making them happy instead of burning them alive. True dwarves then charge their enemies, with wood-born axe in hand,  cleaving limb from body and striking their enemies down five times ere they hit the ground.
A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.
A Dwarf needs only an earthen dwelling, a long beard, and his willpower to live. He can smelt the earth with the fire burning in his heart and beard.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »

Bah! Magma Shmagma! True dwarves burn every tree in sight and raise 10 z level high walls of shining white marble.  True dwarves pour water over  the edges of their walls, cleaning their enemies and making them happy instead of burning them alive. True dwarves then charge their enemies, with wood-born axe in hand,  cleaving limb from body and striking their enemies down five times ere they hit the ground.
A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.
A Dwarf needs only an earthen dwelling, a long beard, and his willpower to live. He can smelt the earth with the fire burning in his heart and beard.
*manly tear* I salute you, sir, and your enterprisingly dwarfy spirit. I disagree with that, and love my magma dearly, but I salute your grit.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 09:27:34 pm »

If there is a goblin fortress, on fire, under ten layers of water in the way, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

If his hole in the ground fills up with magma, HE. WILL. DIG. A. BIGGER. HOLE. IN. THE. GROUND. SOMEWHERE ELSE.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2009, 09:40:28 pm »

Sigged.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2009, 07:05:07 am »

I've started setting worlgen so minimum volcanism is 75 or 80. MAGMA VENTS EVERYWHERE!!! ^_^  But I keep getting insanely huge aquifers with one in almost every good spot.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:09 am »

Yay! My magma poem is just short enough to fit in my sig! :D

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2009, 04:52:07 pm »

I actually rarely use magma, and pretty much never in a successful fort. I dunno, just never relied on it.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 07:50:25 am »

I've never gotten around to dicking around with magma. Nothing in vanilla can stand up to a large squad of expendable champion wrestlers in masterwork leather. Goblins? Skeletal animals? HFS? Those lazy tits what ignored the mandates of our glorious leaders? No match for raw dwarven strength.

And when you finally get a metal industry up and running without magma, you can have much satisfaction in knowing that many many trees died in outfitting the troops you send to deal with those damn elves.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 08:32:01 am »

I've never gotten around to dicking around with magma. Nothing in vanilla can stand up to a large squad of expendable champion wrestlers in masterwork leather.
Which is exactly why magma must be used! m-v-t x-s is not nearly as fun to watch as q-P. The whole point of dwarf fortress is to go over the top and not just fend off the seiges, but to do it in such a way that all other seiges wet themselves when they hear about how horrible the deaths of the brethren were (and how their deaths will be horrible when it is their turn for a suicide run).
Or as Vince from slapchop would say: "Stop having a boring life!"

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2009, 11:20:10 am »

Having completely failed to find any magma in the vicinity of Steelglow (ironic, considering the name), I'm starting to realise just how useful it is. Anything involving metal feels like it's taking ten times longer because I have to prepare tons of fuel as well.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6