Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13944 times)

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »

All those saying they never played with magma, and claiming that real dwarfs have no need for it, are much more spoiled by having z-levels, constructions, soil farming anywhere, and harmless elephants.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2009, 05:18:01 pm »

All those saying they never played with magma, and claiming that real dwarfs have no need for it, are much more spoiled by having z-levels, constructions, soil farming anywhere, and harmless elephants.

Bring it!  I will be downloading an older DF tonight, just name a version.

P.S. I don't quite get your point anyways  ???

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2009, 04:36:44 pm »

Bring it!  I will be downloading an older DF tonight, just name a version.

Original Dwarf 2D, Embark with elephants, you may not use the magma, only trees. Digging into HFS is mandatory.
...A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2009, 08:49:56 pm »

Pff elephants aren't that bad, I've killed entire hordes of them with my starting seven.

Now skeletal elephants, those are worth talking about.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »

Definitely spoiled by magma. I can't imagine living without the precious life blood of Armok in my fortress.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2009, 03:25:18 pm »

Original Dwarf 2D, Embark with elephants, you may not use the magma, only trees. Digging into HFS is mandatory.
So original as in the first version posted? DF 0.21.93.19a August 06?

EDIT:  Anyways, Magma isn't THAT great, I have more trouble finding ore than I do producing fuel (unless I am making soap/glass too) and like I said, execution via magma is boring, but maybe it is fitting for your legendary
[job]dwarf who is injured and absolutely MUST be mercy-killed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:29:42 pm by Dvergar »

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2009, 04:05:49 pm »

Yeah, I won't even bother with a map without some magma. But I don't think it's spoiled so much as dwaven nature.

Dwarves live on booze, mushrooms, and kittens while warmed by the molten stone of the earth and bathed in nothing but the blood and vomit of their enemies, their fellow dwarves, and themselves.

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2009, 02:23:26 pm »

My point was that we used to have magma on every map. I think that we are more spoiled by, say, the lack of cave-ins and soil farming underground. All those people who claim that real dwarves do not need magma, but dig 30x30 dining rooms and have 8x8 farms dug into the soil should think twice about what they say.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:29 pm »

Oh.....alright, I finally get what was meant by "spoiled", I thought you meant "ruined" the game for us because we are reliant on it.... I was saying I am not reliant on it and never play with it, but I am not boasting, that is simply a self-kept restriction I have, just like not using any moats, crossbows, stone-fall traps, or weapon traps.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:10 pm »

My point was that we used to have magma on every map. I think that we are more spoiled by, say, the lack of cave-ins and soil farming underground. All those people who claim that real dwarves do not need magma, but dig 30x30 dining rooms and have 8x8 farms dug into the soil should think twice about what they say.

Heh. I actually pretend the 7x7 maximum unsupported roof is still in effect when I design my architecture, and I never even played the 2D version (before my time). I like the realism. I allow myself to dig out larger expanses by making the roof "arched", hollowing out the middle section in the upper Z level so that no ceiling tile is more than three steps away from a vertical support, but unless I absolutely need to have the space clear for some reason I'll usually build pillars or supports anyway. Pillars are aesthetically pleasing to me.

Also, in my current fort I've shut down my farms entirely due to the large amount of edible plants my herbalists are bringing in while clearing brush to allow tree regrowth. Haven't farmed in years and I'm overflowing with food and booze.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2009, 09:25:55 pm »

With out using the finder I got myself a place with no trees (anymore) no magma and Giant Eagle that likes to eat dwarfs and a Goblin Civ has so much metal that most of my stuff in goblin made.  Now they only fuel I can use is from wood I get from trading.

I don't think I am vary good at this game.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2009, 10:44:57 pm »

If you can survive there you aren't doing too bad. (unless the goblins are peaceful.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2009, 06:21:20 pm »

My advice to you docawesome comes from an ancient dwarven adage, "Just dig a goddamned hole!"

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »

Perhaps more in keeping with the spirit of the thread would be the old dwarven adage,

Dump magma on it.

(Yeah, I know, no magma. I'm just saying.)

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 02:22:08 pm »

I'm still going witht he fort I learned how to play (almost a year old irl).  With my low framerate it has taken me forever to get where I'm at now.  No magma, all wood baby.  There's something satisfying about 'd' 't'ing the entire map to fill my massive wood stockpiles and knowing the elves are raging back home, they're just too afraid to say something to my face about it  ;D

I'm almost done with my mega construction castle walls and my plan for ultimate defense is to wall off my outer stockpiles and farms and connect myself to them via tunnels.  The only time my dwarves will be in danger is when they chop down wood.  Which I do once every other year or so.  I'm sure I will be untouchable at this point so I'll probably start another fortress.  The goblins haven't been a threat in years, I just feel it's a realistic thing to do to keep every dwarf woman and child safe.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]