Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13941 times)

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »

Obviously the ideal map is the one that has magma, iron, flux, coal, bauxite, HFS and sand all within a 6x6 2x2, along with a water source underground river, a Bottomless pit or a chasm for plumbing water and magma and Terrifying biomes.  I think we all knew that, though.

Fixed that for you.

I don't much like excess magma or water lying around anywhere. well, it does evaporate, but if you pump too much out, it can be hard to have any tile be 1/7 long enough.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 05:53:44 pm »

I don't much like excess magma or water lying around anywhere. well, it does evaporate, but if you pump too much out, it can be hard to have any tile be 1/7 long enough.
Ah, but when you have excess magma and water lying around in places, you can just make them cancel out.  ;D

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 02:59:25 am »

I'm exporting steel goods right now. Do you realize how awesome it is to have so much steel that you can afford to sell it? Steel is as valuable as gold, steel goblets are worth 800-1600 apiece depending on the quality.

I do realize how awesome that is, and I'm realizing it using entirely wood-driven industry. I don't trade my steel, though. I'm currently rebuilding my keep with outer walls constructed from solid steel (nearly a thousand bars of it so far), and the outer courtyard has a hundred thousand dwarfbucks worth of steel roadway covering it (the inner courtyard is floored in marble). I've also made forty complete sets of exceptional and masterwork steel plate/chain armor (thanks to a legendary armorer), though my 16-champion military is plenty to deal with any conceivable military threat. I've got a bunch of known but completely unexploited magnetite deposits remaining in the wings, too. I hope I get a legendary blacksmith, there'd be so many steel furnishings I could make.

Even with all that magnetite I still melt down all the goblin junk I get. It's a minor OCD thing with me, I want to have _all_ the metal. Metal never leaves my fort.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 05:40:10 am »

Yeah, I get exactly the same OCD sort of thing. I buy all metal - any metal at all, regardless of utility - off the traders and melt it down. Which often means that I start lagging hugely, bars outnumbering loose stones ten to one. Stupidly, I put in some mod that adds useless 'slag' metal as a byproduct of smelting, which makes the problem worse. Most of my dwarves spend their time lugging it to megaconstructions or dropping it under bridges for obliteration.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 05:48:55 am »

Magma? Steel!?

How spoiled you are! A True Dwarf would pound the iron with their beards, use the coal gathered from days of hard work, then en masse rush on incoming army of goblins, spilling gallons of blood, both your and goblins! For Armok.

Magma is funny word. Magma.

I haven't played on a map with magma yet, so really sieges look like above, mostly. So I'm not spoiled :P And don't have need to abandon fortress because it became too easy :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 05:51:23 am »

Nope. There's a limit of 1 HFS pit per mountain tile (/embark region)

EDIT: nevermind, I posted too fast without reading all posts..

Anyway. I almost never play without magma. It has too many possibilities to pass up on it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 05:53:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »

Magma's nice, but I consider chasms to be essential.  In fact I can't remember the last time I played a magma map... you can get magma+chasm, but it's usually lacking most other amenities.

Magma's only essential if you are relying on melted armor for iron.

True, it's hard to mass produce metal goods, but you don't need metal armor for your whole fort. Bringing along a proficient leatherworker helps a lot.

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 12:28:49 pm »

Magma's nearly essential if you want to train armorers and weaponmakers up to legendary, though.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 12:57:11 pm »

Yes. Yes. Oh sweet merciful Lenin, yes. Infinite glass, metal crafts, and an easy disposal method? I'll take three, plus a side order of river/chasm. Mind you, it'd be a damn site more useful if I could either make my magma dump take only those things that I want destroyed, and send my rotting corpses elsewhere, or if I could get my obsidian farms to work properly.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2009, 12:51:38 pm »

finished my first fort with magma just a while ago...

I don't think I can go back to not having it. Sure I had to melt iron daggers to build my anvils but OH DEAR ARMOK!!!!! All the bronze I could ever want and some silver, making fields of upright spear traps didn't mean cutting down half the forest or mining desperately!!!

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »

Seeing as I have not yet hit HFS, AND that HFS and never seem to be near each other, I largly forgo metal working altogether....

I use it for a small arms industry, but it is quite useless for crafts considering that making native ore furniture/crafts is much more efficient.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 07:06:11 am »

I mostly do it for the obisdian farming and magma waterfalls. Sure, wood is fine, but who cares?

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 07:36:45 am »

A dwarf NEEDS a magma pipe.
If only as a reliable garbage dump, mwahahaha

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »

I like magma because of fire imps. I love caging them and pretending the cages are light sources for my dining room. However, I enjoy not using magma for fuel simply because it creates more jobs.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:48 pm »

Honnestly, magma is kind of boring as a execution device, it spells instant death and where is the fun in that?

I would rather encase a misbehaving dwarf in obsidian  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6