Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13946 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 10:44:12 am »

I've actually gotten tired of magma embarks- You almost never get a good sediment layer to go with it, so you've got infinite forge capacity to go with... a few copper veins?

As far as construction goes, water is far more Fun to deal with. After all, a magma mishap can be casually walled off long before it floods your fortress, and you can't use magma to push invaders down a 20 z-level pit.

Actually, if you set your worldgen right, you can have sedimentary rock near a magma pipe/pool and have plenty of resources.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »

If you have enough trees, and setup your logging industry on the proper scale, you can have a metal industry that dwarfs a magma dependent one, unless you get lucky and end up with a mixed biome map that has both flux and magma (I've had one or two of those, but certainly not often). It's not hard to work without it, it's just nice, free energy to drive your industry on, and obsidian farming is always nice...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 12:49:24 pm »

I am trying to build a glass bridge to an island on a map with no magma. Thankfully there are a lot of trees, but burning enough fuel since my coal stockpiles dried up has slowed production waaaay down.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »

I think it's tough to play without magma + water source. Well not tough but you are so much more limited in your building options.

The main problem to me is that trees -> coal reaction should probably be a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio rather than 1:1. If you clear out a 20 goblin siege you're usually looking at at least 60-100 fuel just to melt everything down. That alone is a big % of your forest or traded wood. Sure you can trade if off for bars of metal but that's painstakingly slow since a caravan usually brings at most 10-20 bars.

On the same note I think caravans should start being able to bring bins of bars like they do with cloth and leather.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 02:58:50 pm »

im addicted to it. i cant survive with it but what does a magma pipe look like in the normal df? 1 wave or 2? i dont know that so i spend looking for both of them most the time.
but magma provides this
- neverending source of forging
- magma traps because they are awesome
- some good way to kill nobles
-its fun to have

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »

I don't get how you people have so much Fun with magma. Unless you're doing tricky things and pumping it in weird ways, you pretty much have to be trying to destroy your fort with it, for it to do anything bad to you.

Fire imps can be another question, of course. Also, has anybody ever found a way to make that lone magma man that's ALWAYS at the very bottom of my magma pipes, come out and play?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:30 pm »

I just got one like I wanted, except for the coal!   ;D  It has a magma pipe and a 5-level waterfall on a stream.  In vanilla it has sand and iron.  With my smelter mods it also has flux and bauxite.

Worldgen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My smelter mods (add to end of vanilla reactions file):

Your vegetation and civilizations might look slightly different because I also use a plant mod, but the geology will be correct at that location.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 06:49:28 pm »

im addicted to it. i cant survive with it but what does a magma pipe look like in the normal df? 1 wave or 2? i dont know that so i spend looking for both of them most the time.
but magma provides this
- neverending source of forging
- magma traps because they are awesome
- some good way to kill nobles
-its fun to have
2 is greater than 1.  Magma pipes have more magma than magma pools.  That help?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 06:54:09 pm »

I seem to be playing wrong, because I never found magma and My dwarves seem like alchoholic humans at this point. Damn, my dwarves must've been romans in their past lives.
Hello Hunam

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:54 pm »

Ubiq: walls of anything will not ignite. However, if you get things hot enough, they will spontaneously combust (c.f. people mucking with the worldgen parameters to make a !!world!!). Still, I don't think you can get that kind of temperature with magma unless the item in question is covered in the stuff.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:42 pm »

It is true that coal is pretty much useless unless you're desperate for some reason. It shouldn't be just in wussy little veins, real-world commercially-useful coal deposits come in entire layers of the stuff.

You could always just change lignite or bituminous coal in the raws or add anthracite as a layer stone. Of course, that would make things difficult on any map with a magma pipe if you weren't extremely careful.

Wait, will contact with warm stone ignite a coal seam or does it have to be direct contact with magma? If it's the former, then there are going to be quite a few maps where the entire map is a murderous hellscape where the ground is perpetually hot, any holes in the ground just vomit up smoke, cave rivers are going to flash ignite into steam, and... and I've just convinced some people to try this, haven't I?

:D Yes, I tried it.  I gave obsidian the properties of lignite.  Nothing happened.  Now I know why, after reading Derakon's post.  Too bad, I was looking forward to the magma burning up it's pipe, overflowing into the surrounding aquifers and making more inflammable obsidian which would catch fire, etc, etc.  The smoke and steam would have been lovely.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »

I don't really use magma much for !!project!!s (yet), but it'd be a pain processing my Narrow Iron deliveries without it.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 03:57:39 am »

Yes, it spoiled me.  In fact after reading this post, I abandoned my successful, king-awaiting fort built between a magma pool and pipe, and started on a map without magma.
My only luxury was to include a cave river so that eventually I'd have a reliable supply of wood.  The non-mountain biome is haunted, so all the trees are dead, and the caravans usually don't bring enough.  There's plenty of magnetite and exposed iron veins, because the mountain top layer is actually chalk.  I guess that sedimentary layers can be pushed up so far in worldgen that they are considered as mountain tiles.  I almost feel sad that there's no magma, as there's also thousands of tiles of bauxite.. but I need the challenge.  Now I actually have a use for wood burner immigrants.  Seriously, who makes a living from burning wood??!  Or perhaps that's why they are immigrating...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 10:51:09 am »

Just wanted to mention that in the latest DF Talk Toady mentioned that we can expect to see a lot (if not most) areas with magma in it now. It'll be close to the very bottom-most z-level

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »

My current two fortresses that I'm working on are sitting on both magma and non-marble flux (granted, I had to delete marble from the raws to get that to work. The exist, it's just easier without all those marble layers getting in the way). It takes a little bit of searching, and it's incredibly hard to find a map with 80% flux stone plus a magma pipe and river, but it's doable, and those maps are so much fun.

I'm exporting steel goods right now. Do you realize how awesome it is to have so much steel that you can afford to sell it? Steel is as valuable as gold, steel goblets are worth 800-1600 apiece depending on the quality.

I can survive without magma, but without it you aren't a true dwarf, you're just a short human living in a hole in the ground.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6