Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13953 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 09:36:46 pm »

I think it has spoiled me, yea, lol.

But hey, in the next release we will almost always have access to magma no matter where we embark. The only difference will be how hard it is to get to it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:54:19 pm »

Every mountainous region has a single HFS tile; since you cannot embark into more than one region at a time, you can at most get one HFS per map.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:00:37 pm »

I wasn't referring to the new HFS, just to the caverns and the new cavern residents we will have to deal with.

Still, any new HFS is still going to follow the same rules as all features, only one per region, except for rivers.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 11:11:04 pm »

Feh, all you people saying you can't be "dwarvish" without magma lack vision. I play plenty of maps without magma. I love plunking a fort down in the middle of a dense, dense forest, and then having my army of woodcutters sweep across the land like army ants hewing the wood down. A steady stream of haulers bringing the logs to my buffer wood stockpile, then feeding through to the mighty furnace complexes producing bins of charcoal to be moved yet deeper into the cavernous maw of my fortress to the smelting and forging districts. I've converted multiple magnetite deposits entirely into steel in a matter of just a few years this way and rebuilt the walls of my fortress from solid metal. Magma turns those great works into a trivial cottage industry sideshow.

It is true that coal is pretty much useless unless you're desperate for some reason. It shouldn't be just in wussy little veins, real-world commercially-useful coal deposits come in entire layers of the stuff. But trees make for almost as good a "coal layer" and regenerate to be cut down again and again.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:14 pm »

Saying something is dwarvish without magma is much like fat free mashed potatoes being compared to homemade mashed potatoes. Its the same, but it just isn't the same.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:55:26 pm »

So you strip the land of it's resources, just like everyone else, and then you... make steel with it. BORING!
True dwarves pour magma on their enemies and relish in the smell. YOU are the one who lack imagination.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13:54 am »

I think the point was that he was basically pulling an Isengard; taking a pure paradise, then having a gigantic pit open up and start consuming the land around it. Leaving a huge, ever-expanding tower of darkness in the center of the pit, of course.

It's sort of like how the Citadel in HL2 was gradually eating City 17.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 12:52:48 am »

It is true that coal is pretty much useless unless you're desperate for some reason. It shouldn't be just in wussy little veins, real-world commercially-useful coal deposits come in entire layers of the stuff.

You could always just change lignite or bituminous coal in the raws or add anthracite as a layer stone. Of course, that would make things difficult on any map with a magma pipe if you weren't extremely careful.

Wait, will contact with warm stone ignite a coal seam or does it have to be direct contact with magma? If it's the former, then there are going to be quite a few maps where the entire map is a murderous hellscape where the ground is perpetually hot, any holes in the ground just vomit up smoke, cave rivers are going to flash ignite into steam, and... and I've just convinced some people to try this, haven't I?

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 12:53:57 am »

I've actually gotten tired of magma embarks- You almost never get a good sediment layer to go with it, so you've got infinite forge capacity to go with... a few copper veins?

As far as construction goes, water is far more Fun to deal with. After all, a magma mishap can be casually walled off long before it floods your fortress, and you can't use magma to push invaders down a 20 z-level pit.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 01:23:49 am »

I've never played on a magma map.

Yes, you've heard me right. Go to Big Bill Hell's.

No, really, somehow, my worldgens never got me a worthwile magma map. Under worthwile I understand magnetite (hematite, the other one), a river/brook, magma, maybe lotsa trees.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 04:36:06 am »

WITHOUT MAGMA A DWARF IS NOT A !!DWARF!!

Fixed ;D

My first few fortresses were on magma-less maps, as I was afraid of the burney carnage that might ensue. Soon enough, however, I decided to relax and have some "fun," and now all of my recent !!fortresses!! have magma. And massive graveyards filled with charred remains.

And just to clear up some noobishness on my part - a magma pipe is an endless supply, while a pool is simply a deposit with limited quantity, right? I've been going with pipes only based on advice I saw on the forums, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing any other important distinctions.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

NightWatchman

• Bay Watcher
  • Ol' Stoneface
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 04:40:07 am »

Obviously the ideal map is the one that has magma, iron, flux, coal, bauxite, HFS and sand all within a 6x6 2x2, along with a water source underground river and Terrifying biomes.  I think we all knew that, though.

Fixed that for you.

Does this exist?

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 05:33:55 am »

There was one close to it... called dwarf heaven. awesome map.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:06 am »

Obviously the ideal map is the one that has magma, iron, flux, coal, bauxite, HFS and sand all within a 6x6 2x2, along with a water source underground river and Terrifying biomes.  I think we all knew that, though.

Fixed that for you.

Does this exist?

Check the World Gen Leaderboard, there's a couple of modded sites that come real close.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 09:57:04 am »

I need magma, but it's nothing to do with having a steel or glass industry. If that was it I could settle for a pool instead of a pipe. But any worthwhile project seems to include magma.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6