Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Has Magma Spoiled You  (Read 13939 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Has Magma Spoiled You
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »

I recently dumped two new worldgens, purely because I couldn't find a sight that had HFs, a River(for fres hwater) AND a magma pipe.  Now, I used to not even know how to use magma, and just used vast amounts of wood.  Now that Ive dsicovgereds the joys of an infinte forege and smelter, I just can't see mysewlf playing a map unless theres a Magma pipe.  Anyone else feeling spoiled?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Has Magma Spoiled You
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:05:56 pm »

You're not the only one, i can't play on a map without a magmapipe...

drives me crazy with the laisons refusing to bring me more than 3 wood...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:22:22 pm »

It's not a dwarf fortress without magma. Magma doesn't spoil a fortress, it's a prerequisite.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:47:12 pm »

Coal is unreliable. Trees require appropriate biomes and a massive woodburning campaign. Magma is easy to use and makes many different "toys" possible. Which of these options are people going to pick? Hmmm.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:49:39 pm »

Agreed.

I can play without a HFS, hell, I can even play without a river or brook if I can figure out another water source (aquifer, purified sea water reservoir, brook, really freaking big lake I can drain into an underground resevoir where it won't evaporate)

But magma is necessary, it is the bread and butter of any fortress! I WOULD GO SO FAR AS TO CLAIM THAT WITHOUT MAGMA! A DWARF IS NOT A DWARF! HUMANS USE CHARCOAL AND COAL FOR THEIR SMITHING AND SUCH! BUT A DWARF KNOWS THAT ONLY MAGMA IS WORTHY FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE MOST MAGNIFICENT OF BLACKSMITHING AND OTHER HEAT RELATED JOBS!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:05:39 pm »

What do hippies elves use?
Oh wait, they use charcoal, because they are hypocrites, making wood objects and crying about dwarves cutting down trees.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »

Elves don't use charcoal, or anything metal related at all.

They wear wood armour and use wooden weapons, the least effective weapons in the game.

Besides, magma is a need for any fort, unless someone mods coal to be a full layer, I expect every dwarven fortress to have magma(As long as it's from a player that knows what he's doing)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »

There are mods that make coal less useless.  A prime example is the wonderment mod.  Very good game rebalance, that mod.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:18:16 pm »

My first fortress was starved for wood, besides the fact that I hadn't the slightest idea how to play.  Somehow this got tied in my mind to the idea that playing without magma was extremely hard.  At first I was afraid of magma, but once I learned how to place the furnaces and forges so that the magma-monsters can't get out, I couldn't imagine playing without it.

Then I got a nice map without magma and decided to try to play it.  Imagine my surprise when I was able to perfectly well progress using coal.  In fact, on my current map I have coal, lignite, iron ore, and flux.  I can actually make steel, which on my magma maps has been almost impossible.  The flip side of having caravans only bring three pieces of wood is having caravans only bringing three pieces of bauxite or limestone.

Magma is really convenient, and is great on a map with sand where a person can concentrate on glass products.  That is one place where coal furnaces are a problem.

Obviously the ideal map is the one that has magma, iron, flux, coal, bauxite, and sand all within a 6x6, along with a water source.  I think we all knew that, though.  :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:21:12 pm »

Don't forget HFS.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:49 pm »

Magma is fun. Also, Fun.

No magma is not fun. I'm constantly grubbing for wood and fuel, and I can't collect random metal mixes.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:46:51 pm »

I never play without magma unless it's some kind of special challenge.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 09:09:15 pm »

Obviously the ideal map is the one that has magma, iron, flux, coal, bauxite, HFS and sand all within a 6x6 2x2, along with a water source underground river and Terrifying biomes.  I think we all knew that, though.

Fixed that for you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 09:11:25 pm »

Speaking of special challenges. Is it possible at all to have a region that has more than 1 HFS?

That could get interesting; albeit extremely, ridiculously, ludicrously rare.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »

I love magma because it requires some finesse to get the most out of it, but also because it is so much !!FUN!! Alot of times my designs require magma in some way (like casting obsidian or using it to sort goblinite)
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6