Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catching live fish...  (Read 1443 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Catching live fish...
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:40:23 pm »

Exactly how does this work? All my dwarf does is fish...
On a semi-related note, can turtles be kept as pets? And can pet vermin accost dwarves who despise it once adopted?
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catching live fish...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:13:42 pm »

Your dwarf will get an animal trap and go to an area designated as a fishing zone. Note that, unless told otherwise, your dwarves will cheerfully fish at any site even if it isn't designated, but will only catch live fish at a fishing zone.

One of the easier ways to do it is to find an idlw dwarf and enable Fish Cleaning, which will enable them to take jobs from the Fishery but not spend their time fishing, which seems to take priority over just about any other job.

Yes, turtles will be kept as pets if they're tamed. It's best to forbid the live turtle as soon as they are caught though as random dwarves might pop up and eat them before they're tamed.

Far as accosting goes... well, I'm not sure about that. Their owner will carry them around, but I don't know if other dwarves can see the vermin being carried around and get a bad thought from it or not.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:05 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will eat vermin they hate, as long as it's trapped. Live rat must be unhealthy.

Also, on fishing, I guess dwarfs just don't have their priorit-
100killer9 cancels type sentence: is fishing
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:47 pm »

I've heard that dwarves will eat vermin they hate, as long as it's trapped. Live rat must be unhealthy.

Bah. That's just ridiculous. Honestly, I don't know where you ge--
Tokkius cancels socialize: Fishing

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 10:15:42 pm »

I really don't see what the problem is with fishing.
I mean, I always have food and--
Tradanbattlan cancels explain: Fishing

EDIT: Oh dear. I don't know what came over me.
As I was saying, my dwarves always have food, and I have a nice supply of bo--
Tradanbattlan cancels talk about bones: Butchering fish
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:21:15 pm by Tradanbattlan »

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:19:04 pm »

The main problem with vermin as pets is that dwarves seem to go right for trapped vermin when they're available to eat. They'll walk right past those +Dwarven Syrup Roasts+ and eat the cave spider. I once had a dwarf straight up eat a fairy once. I was trying to get a bunch of fairies to follow around my mayor (it was a mirthful place, there was nothing dwarven around) but that was cut short when the entourage was eaten by my mine--

Danaru cancels Finish Post: Fishing
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »

Adoption of pets will generally stop them from being eaten, but it won't stop disruption of your workforce. The dwarves that intensely dislike a given type of vermin will still be accosted by carried vermin, and may even attempt to wrestle the vermin away from their owner and release or kill them.

I had this problem with a pair of pet bats I got from the elves. A single dwarf adopted both, and carried them in one of his hands. There was another dwarf in the military alongside him who detested bats. She would frequently grab one of the bats away from him and carry it away before releasing it ... which caused the owner to cancel whatever he was doing, chase her, and retrieve his pets. I don't remember what the job was listed for when she was trying to get rid of the vermin, but his chasing them down -- which he did frequently, because many dwarves hated the poor bats -- was outright listed in the Jobs list as 'Retrieve pet.'

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 12:03:45 am »

Dwarf cancels Important Task: Yakety Sax is playing

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:05 am »

I had this problem with a pair of pet bats I got from the elves. A single dwarf adopted both, and carried them in one of his hands. There was another dwarf in the military alongside him who detested bats. She would frequently grab one of the bats away from him and carry it away before releasing it ... which caused the owner to cancel whatever he was doing, chase her, and retrieve his pets. I don't remember what the job was listed for when she was trying to get rid of the vermin, but his chasing them down -- which he did frequently, because many dwarves hated the poor bats -- was outright listed in the Jobs list as 'Retrieve pet.'

Had you ever assigned the bats to a cage at any point before they were adopted? I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that if you assign a tame vermin to a cage, and it's later adopted by a dwarf, the vermin remains assigned, and so random dwarves will keep trying to cage it, while the owner keeps having to retrieve it. At least I think that might be what's happening.

Unfortunately I've only got vague half-remembered recollections of a fort I once had many many versions ago, in which I experienced the exact same problem. My attempts to reproduce the problem in order to test it seem to be failing, because all the dwarves in my current fort refuse to adopt any pets, even the awesome toad that the elves brought.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:00:23 am »

If you know a particular dwarf likes a particular vermin, a better option is to build an animal trap (or aquarium) with that animal in it in their room. They get a happy thought from seeing the vermin, but don't give other dwarves an unhappy thought because the first dwarf is lugging it around with them.

Dwarf cancels Cancel Fishing: Fishing.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:25 am »

I recommended boxing your vermin storage in with tasty treats, so that they are NEVER the closest thing for hungry dwarves to rush into.

No way to stop the poor dwarves though.

Those things are good for the budget.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:42 am »

I find that entirely realistic.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:37:28 am »

I've heard that dwarves will eat vermin they hate, as long as it's trapped.

It's true. Amazingly, they don't even get an unhappy thought from it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »

If anything, they ought to get a happy thought from it.

"Sarvesh has recently committed an act of public service. Sarvesh has eaten an extremely satisfying meal lately and shown that little bastard of a large roach who is boss."

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »

I once had a dwarf straight up eat a fairy once.

Go dorfs.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.