Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 822 times)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidents
« on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:00 pm »

I was thinking; maybe DF should include more mundane accidents.  The game has a lot of semi-random challenges: attacks from the river, chasm, and lava, spider bites, sieges, sparring injuries, noble demands, etc etc.  But maybe the everyday lives of the dwarves should have accidents too, to keep things interesting.  And of course accidents should be much less likely across the board with high-quality buildings/objects and skilled workers.

"Hot" workshops like wood burners and smelters should have a chance to catch fire during use... though obviously not until there's a reliable way to put fires out.  Good reason to store your wood elsewhere!

Unskilled workers should have a chance to completely botch the job, ruining the materials.  Good reason to keep your wannabe jewelers from encrusting with diamonds!

Stills should sometimes spill barrels of booze out onto the floor that would spread around like vomit or blood does.

Alchemist laboratories should blow up or release miasma.  Animals to be butchered should be able to break free and go on rampages.  Clothesmakers should screw up sometimes and make Large or Narrow garments.  Anything requiring a mechanism should jam once in a while and require a mechanic to come fix it.  With the new water flow mechanics, floodgates should leak a little bit of water occasionally.

Any other goofs you can think of?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

I kind of like this idea, though I can't help thinking I have heard it before...
Still I like the idea so I'll add one.

Caveins from dwarves mining near supports. (Should be pretty rare but I would like to see this.)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

Sigvus footmangled, Hauler has dropped an –iron anvil- on his left foot.  :)
Sigvus footmangled, Hauler cancels haul –iron anvil-, tantrum from extreme pain.  :D

I LIKE IT!!!! LOSING IS FUN!!!
 :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

Sigvus footmangled, Hauler has dropped an –iron anvil- on his left foot.  :)
Sigvus footmangled, Hauler cancels haul –iron anvil-, tantrum from extreme pain.  :D

I LIKE IT!!!! LOSING IS FUN!!!
 :D

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

Perhaps bad cooks could make tainted food, causing mass vomiting all around the fortress?  ;)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

I don't like the idea of random accidents.  But there being the chance for more accidents of the logical sort sound good to me.  Furnaces could raise the heat nearby, making it EASIER to set things on fire, but not randomly.  Only when the circumstances are right.

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

Don't you just love the idea of suddenly having your smelter running down the hallways on fire. I do.
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Perhaps dwarves who are Expert or better in the pertinent skill should be exempt from causing accidents, and have the likelihood scale up with less experienced dwarves.  Thus, the accidents would not be random... they would be directly caused by assigning a putz to do the job.  Come to think of it... even dwarves with a Competent skill level should be fairly accident-proof... with only the occasional screw-up.

Maybe dwarves who trigger an accident should gain bonus experience for doing so?  Learn from your mistakes?

This makes burrows and assigned workshops more valuable... build a "University" where newbie dwarves can work without putting the rest of the fortress at risk.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

How about when equipment breaks, it doesn't suddenly disappear? That's what happens, right? I've never had something long enough to find out. Anyways...

Eshtƒn Monomsil, Wood cutter cancels Chop Wood: Axe broken
Kadol Dumat•nul, Peasant cancels Haul Log
Kadol Dumat•nul's head flies off in an arc!

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

Maybe the idea of broken buildings could be used. Such as your newbie smelter messing the furnace up by accident, or maybe your newbie smith isnt watching what (s)he is doing and dents the anvil, etc. This should create a repair workshop job that someone of that job type would have to carry out. It would be rather amusing to have someone get too excited with a lever and snap it off too. Also, maybe bad quality items with penalties could result from accidents in the workshop, like a flawed sword that only does half damage. Although things like failed floodgates shouldnt be implimented until better fluid dynamics are. It would suck to have a fortress ended because a busted floodgate caused a permaflood.

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

With multi-slice trees, having accidents would be pretty neat.

"Ral Kustoph has canceled Cut Wood - Pinned underneath a redwood"

--

@Hactar1 - This is a demonstration of "Influence and suggest" right?  :D

@Everyone else - This is an HHGTTG reference.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games