Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My immigration has stopped  (Read 1771 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: My immigration has stopped
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:38:20 pm »

My theory is that immigration depends on the change of wealth increase (the wealth "acceleration," if you will.)

If you're getting a huge increase in wealth for a long period of time, then production suddenly stops, immigration will be stunted.

In my current fort, I had an artifact that boosted my fort value by about half (Broiledprinces, for those of you who recognize the name.)

I had two rapid-succession immigration waves of over 20 dwarves within one year after making that artifact. Then, they just... stopped. In the four/five years since then, I have had two immigrant waves, one with two dwarves and the other with three.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:15 am »

My theory is that immigration depends on the change of wealth increase (the wealth "acceleration," if you will.)

If you're getting a huge increase in wealth for a long period of time, then production suddenly stops, immigration will be stunted.

In my current fort, I had an artifact that boosted my fort value by about half (Broiledprinces, for those of you who recognize the name.)

I had two rapid-succession immigration waves of over 20 dwarves within one year after making that artifact. Then, they just... stopped. In the four/five years since then, I have had two immigrant waves, one with two dwarves and the other with three.
I think you might be right under normal circumstances, but something is definately kinda broken with my immigration. I've raised my wealth from 2 million to 3 million over the last 5 years or so, including 2 golden artifacts made, and I've got nothing. I'm up to 77 dwarves due to births though, maybe when I reach 80 something will proc.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »

It's very possible that the amount of wealth needed to get each new immigrant increases. In any case, it's not the only variable. My little bro had a fort of 106 that had under 350,000 created wealth.

Perhaps you could try offering a large amount of wealth to the caravan? All that shiny junk might lure dwarves to your fort.

Also, you might want to make sure that all of the different categories of wealth are high. If your fort's architectural value is low compared to the others, you might want to do something about it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 09:00:20 am »

Ok, I bred my way past 80 dwarves and I got my baron! I just wanted to say that he arrived with the baroness, hemmerer and tax collector, and NO other migrants. I think my civ might have died off.

My latest forts:

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 03:28:48 pm »

Hmm, back up and check it out with an adventurer.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 04:00:49 pm »

Worldgen events stop after world gen ends, so unless the only remaining dwarf in the whole civ was the village liason and he died I don't see how it could die out during a fortress game (nor am I sure that the game would be sophisticated enough to pick up on that if it did happen). 

It really sounds like your pop cap is still somehow being registered as 65...  maybe try setting the pop cap to 200 or a little below, in case the game doesn't register numbers above 200?  Make sure there's nothing fishy going on with the init file itself?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 04:12:13 pm »

If you have multiple copies of DF installed, make sure you're editing the right init file. I've made changes that didn't get applied and gotten really pissed off, then realized I wasn't changing the right init file.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 04:33:29 pm »

Worldgen events stop after world gen ends, so unless the only remaining dwarf in the whole civ was the village liason and he died I don't see how it could die out during a fortress game (nor am I sure that the game would be sophisticated enough to pick up on that if it did happen). 

It really sounds like your pop cap is still somehow being registered as 65...  maybe try setting the pop cap to 200 or a little below, in case the game doesn't register numbers above 200?  Make sure there's nothing fishy going on with the init file itself?

Well, this is one of those situations where I have an Elf king and an Elf Liason (who died). It's pretty bugged. When the Elf became king, he replaced the previous king who was only 12 when he died, and most of the kings before him were also children. So I did start with a pretty desparate situation.

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 [2]