Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My immigration has stopped  (Read 1770 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My immigration has stopped
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:36:48 am »

I'm trying to figure why I'm not getting immigrants anymore. For a long time, I set the population cap to 65 to keep my FPS up while I was doing a bunch of construction work. Now that I have raised it to 250, I did get one wave of a few immigrants, and I'm up to 73 dwarves. The dwarf caravan has arrived and departed safely a few times, although my liason got mad and left a long time ago when I wasn't paying attention, and he never came back. My fortress is valued at around 1.9 million, and my exports are around 121,000.

It's been about five years with no immigrants, what happened? I'm ready for my nobles to show up.

Also I should mention that this is one of those situations where my king is an elf, as was my liason that got mad and left.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:44:10 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My immigration has stopped
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:00:50 pm »

Are you getting announcement such as "The fortress attracted no immigrants this season" or something about them not making the trip due to the number of deaths?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:39:50 pm »

I had this happen to me once. Immigration stopped for two years, during which I met all the prereq's for a duke, then a count. Next year, I got the countess as well as 40 dwarves.

Immigration has a huge random factor. Unless you've been losing dwarves, odds are the game just hasn't decided to send you more dwarves.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:05:05 pm »

Once enough dwarfs die from sieges my immagrantion waves tend to stop, usually its around 80 to 100 dwarfs, which is more then enough tro run any good sized fortress.  Never had waves come continuiously, so never passed then mythical 200 population
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:05:33 pm »

My last fort had 302 dwarves before I abandoned. I was getting continuous migrations until the cap, then I was overrun with children.  :o

My latest forts:

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35:18 am »

Are you getting constantly sieged?  If a siege is active when it does the immigration check, the immigration will get skipped. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:09 pm »

Part of the problem my be that my fortress is almost entirely above ground in a huge obsidian cast. I am reading some speculation that how much space you have dug out can influence immigration, and I only have a few exploratory mining tunnels.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:42:52 pm »

Ok, I am getting the 'your fortress has attracted no migrants this season'. I've seen it several times now, and I've also dug alot of exploratory mines by now. I'm not sure what happened.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:22 pm »

Ugh, so I spent months creating this beautiful obsidian fort, and now that I'm ready for the nobles to move in, I'm stuck at 70 dwarves. I could turn up the child level but it takes many years for them to become adults, and that means I have to sit here and watch caravan after caravan, for weeks of my free time. My fort is meaningless without my nobles! I need options.

My latest forts:

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:32 am »

Well, if you think that it's due to not uncovering much underground, have fun drawing patterns with the [d] - [d] and then having your dwarves dig them out. Call it a crypt system.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 02:45:00 am »

I can't wait for the day that you can artificially clone/brew dwarves in a custom workshop.

Then I can have hordes of spear dwarves with leather armour, as well as all sorts of test subjects for mega constructions and expendable contestants in crazy survival contests.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 10:12:38 am »

So I turned up the baby count realizing that babies do count as dwarves, and after I had forgotten about it for, oh probably nine months or the dwarvish equivalent, I had six babies born on the same day.  :D Hopefully, I'll get 80 dwarves soon, and some noble will arrive.

My latest forts:

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 11:42:55 am »

If you're relying on native growth rather than immigrants for population, you might consider lowering the time it takes for a child to grow to adult in the raw.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:22:53 pm »

THe normal cap is 200 right? Is it possible to pass it once it is set? like through births?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:31:45 pm »

THe normal cap is 200 right? Is it possible to pass it once it is set? like through births?

Yeah, births can definitely push you over your population cap.

Also - when the game tells you that nobody is coming to your fortress because it's a deathtrap, does that mean that there were just too many deaths recently, or is there simply a death count that continues to accumulate forever? I recently purged my fortress of unnecessary pets (I think there was about 10 of them), and got that message as a result...now I'm wondering if that has permanently tarnished the reputation of my fort, or whether it will "wear off" eventually.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.
Pages: [1] 2