Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CATFATSPLOSION  (Read 2163 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
CATFATSPLOSION
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:28:39 pm »

I am in the middle of a very boring film shoot, and so I habe DF running. Tired of miasma, I am finally moving my butcher shops and kitchen outside. I ordered the old ones destroyed, and was then called back for dolly work. On return:

CATFATSLOSION! Animal fat and tallow have filled the entire room AND out the door. It is gross. I did not realize the game could do this.

My dining room is going to STINK very quickly,
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CATFATSPLOSION
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:29:07 pm »

Fat stockpile! and quickly! Then turn it into soap or render into food!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »

NO ONE EVER seems to hall fat or tallow. Damndest thing. THat room is sitting over a fat stockpile.

No one ever touches it. I have people solely devoted to food stockpiling. No dice.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:34:23 pm »

Get your kitchens set to render it like crazy?

Designate the room a food stockpile so it doesn't rot?

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:23 pm »

Did the fat somehow get marked forbidden?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:51:33 pm »

There is a massive grease leak in section 9 captain! The entire kitchen is lost and it is leaking into the dining room!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 09:19:09 pm »

Fat overload! Dwarves falling left and right in a horribly comical fashion!

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »

My god, you've struck gold!

Honestly though, that is awesome.
Free food!

Or you can finally make that House of Soap!
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:23:26 pm »

Your fortress seems to be suffering from some blockage caused by high cholesterol!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 10:41:15 pm »

Fat should get stored in food stockpiles - perhaps you don't have any that allow it. I typically render all of my fat (mostly cow and black/grizzly bear) and then cook it into tallow roasts.

Also, for some strange reason, fat doesn't actually go rancid - in a test fortress I made, I left a bunch of fat sitting in an outdoor garbage dump for over 2 seasons and it never went bad.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:01 am »

Perhaps fat doesn't rot since it isn't considered edible until rendered? I've seen tallow and tallow roasts go bad.

I think fat can only be stored with other fat, they won't get mixed with barrels of other food types. It also looks like your food stockpile has no empty spots.

Perhaps your food stockpile doesn't accept fat? Is your fat stockpile a custom stockpile? I've heard that custom stockpiles have problems at times.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:50:32 am by Blaze »

Huin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 02:31:02 am »

Quick! Open a chip shop!

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 04:51:37 am »

Quickly, use the fat to power your forges!

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 06:14:28 am »

... I hope you have a lot of barrels.  o.o;  Although since all your other nearby food stockpiles are filled to the brim with barrels, I assume that you do.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 06:33:38 am »

Now that's a big FAT boom.

If you make the space underneath the fat / tallow a food stockpile, set to accept both, there will be no need for immediate moving. Then you can designate stockpiles for fat / tallow in desired locations, and set them to take from the combined stockpile. You will have to do this with one of the two first (preferably the fat, since I think that rots even when in a food stockpile), because it is not possible to have 2 stockpiles take from the same stockpile.
I'm not sure about tallow rotting. I always have it stored in barrels, and use it up to cook / make soap rather quickly most of the time. Never seen it rot, except when left in the butcher's shop for too long before being hauled.
I've never seen prepared foods rot, except when left in the kitchen too long. I do not store prepared foods in barrels either, and dwarves do path over it.
Maybe it has to do with my cats, who are quite effective at killing vermin that spawns in my fort.

For the fat / tallow items scattered in your dining room.. If your dwarves are not hauling it, consider using the (o)ptions menu to turn off all hauling except refuse hauling, and order the items in your dining room to be dumped. Dumping items seems to have a rather high priority. In any case, higher than fat / tallow hauling. This, ofcourse, does need an active garbage dump to a place where miasma is no problem / atom smasher.

On a quite unrelated matter: I can see, on your screenshot, that quite a few of your rooms have only a 1x1 entrance (single door). If your FPS starts dropping too dramatically, widening those could give significant improvement.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2