Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 548 times)

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Would this work?
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

I have an idea for an arena in stages.

Basically, a first monster is sent out. Warrior kills it. But as the first monster is sent out, it triggers a pressure plate, releasing the next two. These two release a pressure plate, releasing the next ones and so on...
Could I sucessfully have some sort of difficulty-increasing arena?

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:44:57 pm »

I think that should work, so long as they are willing to walk across the pressure plate
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:57:15 pm »

Well, there is a juicy dwarf at the other side so I'd expect so.
Maybe I could have a FINAL BATTLE switch, which opens up an obstacle course but also raises bridges and releases magma, so the dwarf would have to get out before he's fried.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:30:06 pm »

Basically, a first monster is sent out. Warrior kills it. ... Could I sucessfully have some sort of difficulty-increasing arena?

So long as there is an open path to the outside or into the fortress behind the warrior, the monsters should at least enter the arena. Unless you're content with the fortress being destroyed by hubris, be sure to include some cage traps in the corridor behind the warrior.

Keep in mind though, depending on the kind of creatures, you might have a whole bunch of, for instance, goblins huddling against the corner wall if your warrior isn't fast enough and said warrior might wind up wrestling them instead. So there's a pretty good chance some of them might slip away from him or keep him busy long enough for the arena's boss, for an example let's use a dragon, Sweetpodwings The Glistening Mechanic of OH SWEET ARMOK IT BURNS!, to join in the fun. In which case, everything in the arena, probably including Sweetpodwings, will be on fire soon enough.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »

Basically, a first monster is sent out. Warrior kills it. ... Could I sucessfully have some sort of difficulty-increasing arena?

So long as there is an open path to the outside or into the fortress behind the warrior, the monsters should at least enter the arena. Unless you're content with the fortress being destroyed by hubris, be sure to include some cage traps in the corridor behind the warrior.

Keep in mind though, depending on the kind of creatures, you might have a whole bunch of, for instance, goblins huddling against the corner wall if your warrior isn't fast enough and said warrior might wind up wrestling them instead. So there's a pretty good chance some of them might slip away from him or keep him busy long enough for the arena's boss, for an example let's use a dragon, Sweetpodwings The Glistening Mechanic of OH SWEET ARMOK IT BURNS!, to join in the fun. In which case, everything in the arena, probably including Sweetpodwings, will be on fire soon enough.
That's why I keep sweet, flamable alcohol in the arena