Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining  (Read 877 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining
« on: July 08, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

I suggest current dig desegnation be seperated into [M]ine, which works like mining does now, and [D]ig, which works like mining but without any stone being created. In big forts all the extra stone makes the game lag, and the Z axis will likely make it worse.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

That's a pretty nifty idea.  As it is, I'm carting load after load of stone outside during winter now...  It's not too bad, so I won't complain either way, but this would be a nifty option.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

All that stone is very useful - if you want to get rid of some of it, there are 3 things I recommend.

Build a mason's workshop near where you have a lot of stone and just set it to build blocks on repeat.  This will clear away stone, the blocks can be stored in bins (reducing clutter), and it will quickly boost the mason skill of your mason - train him up to legendary before wasting light or dark stone on an inexperienced mason.

Build a couple catapults (next to where the stone is - this is just a training catapult) and set them to fling stones at the wall.  This trains up your operators - 2 legendary operators can fling balista bolts out at a siege fast enough to kill half the invasion before they even get to the cliff face.

The third is to create lots of stone crafts - they train up your craftsdwarfs in stone crafting, and create some items to export with the caravan.

I suppose you could always just chasm them, but rocks are very useful to have for those 3 reasons.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Entropy:
<STRONG>All that stone is very useful - if you want to get rid of some of it, there are 3 things I recommend.</STRONG>

My problem isn't fixed by making the stone into anything; there's just as many items as before to lag up my game. Catapulting or chasming it takes along time.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »

The thing is that if you are mining out a big stone wall the rock has to go somewhere- it can't just disappear. Of course, that's more of a realism thing. Gameplay is always more important.  :D

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>The thing is that if you are mining out a big stone wall the rock has to go somewhere- it can't just disappear. Of course, that's more of a realism thing. Gameplay is always more important.   :D</STRONG>

The dwarfs can just break in into little abstracted pieces.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

There is already a [Bonecarn] tag or something, maybe toady will add in something which will let you make "Rock golems" which can eat all the excess rock.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

Still not a "real" solution, but slow down your mining till you waste the crap you have.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

Would this kind of problem not be fixed instead  if we could create "carts" able to be filled by several stones at the same time? It would be a complicated process, you need several parts (wheels, the cart itself, etc) but in the end it would be extremely usefull and way faster to haul several objects of the same type around.

If you don't want the rocks, then just load the cart (I was thinking about a capacity of 10), then roll the cart to the chasm and dump everything down.  :D

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

Once item piles and consolidation are sorted out, I think having loads of rock wouldn't be too much a problem.