Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66555 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.2 up!)
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2009, 11:45:22 am »

I must say, the old version of the treants seemed more of a challenge.  They were changed to better survive worldgen, right?

How are treants in the current version? I still play with the old severonbreaks wrestlers, who can be defeated reliably if you mass your soldiers and keep them in tight formation, but who also easily crush isolated dwarves if they succeed in breaking said formation, even my triple legendary Mace/Wrestler/Shieldsdwarf.

Edit:  Ah, I should have said that I know about the raw changes; I'm just curious about people's play experiences.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:23:39 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »

No more severs on breaks (which, as said, greatly increases worldgen survivablity), slightly more than half the damblock and weak wooden weapons and shields.  Personally I haven't played against them much in the current version.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2009, 04:05:19 pm »

I dunno. Their blowgunners are weaker than even kobold blowgunners with their wooden bolts. At size 13, they're much more lethal in melee than at range, but they tend to bring lots of blowgunners due to a lack of weapon variety.

I'd suggest taking away the blowguns and giving them back a bit of their damblock. I would love to face something that was dangerous to champions without something akin to strategy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2009, 04:44:57 pm »

I dunno. Their blowgunners are weaker than even kobold blowgunners with their wooden bolts. At size 13, they're much more lethal in melee than at range, but they tend to bring lots of blowgunners due to a lack of weapon variety.

I'd suggest taking away the blowguns and giving them back a bit of their damblock. I would love to face something that was dangerous to champions without something akin to strategy.
They should be using staves, whips, and scourges in addition to blowguns.  Personally I like the blowguns, it's kind of unique to have a ranged threat that is actually more dangerous in melee than it is ranged (the only time I've ever seen an enemy change professions was when a treant blowgunner became a swordsman during a long drawn out battle).  That said, I'd be happy to add a little damblock, or maybe a little size; they were nerfed mostly because people in Sparkgear VII were complaining that they were indestructible.  Maybe I over compensated, or maybe they weren't good at DF to begin with ;D.  Prolly won't happen 'til after xmas, though, so feel free to play with the values a little on your own until then (size and damblock don't need a regen).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 23, 2009, 04:17:37 am »

I think the problem with Sparkgear was that they'd never faced treants before (and if you don't know how to handle them, they mess you up real bad).

Wrestler treants strip dwarves of their equipment, including their weapons (if you don't use blunt weapons), and furthermore, even if you mass dwarves, if at least a few aren't of elite or champion level you're probably facing significant casualties.

Their main strategy (in the older versions) is to crowd a dwarf, tank him with their great size and damblock, perhaps steal a weapon or some equipment. Without backup, eventually the dwarf will become overexerted and suffer a broken limb, at which point he will cease fighting and attempt to flee, and is essentially dead.

Thus, treants are dramatically different from goblins, or even orcs, and fighting them well requires preparation and strategy, which in turn can only come from experience.

These are challenges that a mature fort can handle, and even welcomes, but a disorganized, community fortress, inexperienced with Relentless Assault, which also suffered from little to no continuity between leaders apparently was unable to mount sufficient resistance after being caught off guard.

Personally, I like the variety that this kind of enemy adds to the game, which is why I leave my treants this way (I think I upped their size to 14).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:23:50 am by darkflagrance »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #215 on: December 23, 2009, 05:49:56 pm »

I've found treants of every variety to be little trouble.

Also, my fortress entrance drops magma on invaders, so that's why.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2009, 07:33:20 pm »

Magma does obviate the threat that pretty much any invader short of a civ of magma men (which my personal mod has) poses to your fort.

Besides, using magma against treants is counterproductive if your strategy is to harvest them for an alternative source of wood.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:33 pm »

Magma does obviate the threat that pretty much any invader short of a civ of magma men (which my personal mod has) poses to your fort.

Besides, using magma against treants is counterproductive if your strategy is to harvest them for an alternative source of wood.

But I harvest elves for wood...

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:01 am »

Great mod. I gave over a third of my population to military, rather than the fifth I usually employ.

It was fine until the werewolves came a-siegin' with three squads in my sixth year.

Unfortunately, those things are fast. A ten-tile-long path of spikes only got a few of them. I deployed the magma to block off my causeway entrance, but enough got across to wipe out my entire army. I recruited the entire fortress and only lost another dozen citizens before I broke their spirit.

The werewolves started milling around on top of my barracks, unable to escape, and completely ignoring the dwarf children sleeping underneath their feet around the armour stand. So I stationed everyone in my entrance with crossbows, and wiped out the rest as they panicked, trying to path off the map.

Lucky break! If I survive the tantrum spiral, I'll spend a few years with the fortress walled off to build up some real defences... I've yet to catch a whisper of the treants or giants  ;D

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:08 pm »

trying this out since I've never really had a military fortress besides on fallout mod.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2010, 10:20:14 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, Dante!
trying this out since I've never really had a military fortress besides on fallout mod.
I recommend increasing the size of the treants by 1-3 in the current version.  I've been meaning to change it myself forever but it's such a small tweak that it hasn't been much of a priority.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2010, 08:21:18 am »

okie dokie. Any other small bug fixes? Or warnings?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2010, 05:34:50 pm »

Hahaha, about to try this with kobold camp. :3

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2010, 07:35:16 pm »

This doesnt work for me but I might have done something to it.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2010, 08:19:51 pm »

Thought I would describe my experiences with this mod, I hope its usefull.  :)

Its the 9th year(Mid-Winter). This mod is more "active", but not much more challenging. It might be my location or world, but I have survived most attacks unscaved. Most injuries are typically bowmen. I use no complicated traps at all, and havent even had to use my drawbridge, except when I made a mistake upgrading my fortifications. It seems to me the triggers are lagging. I get sieges a couple years "late", when they that arent deadly. First treant siege was way too easy, my hammerers blasted through them. The only real troubles I have are when giant snatchers find my civilian dwarves walking around.

The world I generated was a large one, and all the civilizations are there, so im guessing its either my location or I was too carefull. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:01:23 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22