Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66549 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Relentless Assault (version 1.2 up!)
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2009, 02:58:01 am »

I would suggest giving frogmen and lizardmen a low damblock to make up for them having no armor. I just ran off a double siege (seriously, they can do that?) from the frogmen and lizardmen. I had two hammerdwarf squads, and one went to get a drink or something, so three hammerdwarves ran off roughly 75 reptiles. With that many, they should have at least gotten a scratch, even if they are heavily cross trained and decked out in steel.

Got some damn good hangtime on them though. There are more frogman and lizardman parts around here than I know what to do with.

Yeah frogmen are a danger to unskilled miners, not dwarves with any sort of military training.. and certainly not 3 trained military dwarves. This is intended.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2009, 11:18:21 am »

Yeah frogmen are a danger to unskilled miners, not dwarves with any sort of military training.. and certainly not 3 trained military dwarves. This is intended.
Yep, as the late great comic Mitch Hedberg said:
Quote from: Mitch Hedberg
Frogs are always cool. Like, never has there been a frog hopping towards me, and I thought, 'Man, I better play dead. Here comes that frog.' I've never said, 'Here comes that frog' in a horrifying manner. It's always optimistic, like, 'Hey, here comes that frog -- fantastic! Maybe he will settle near me.'

The lizards can get in a lucky shot, but mostly they're only a threat when they bring bows.  Wrestlers might have a rough time against them too if they didn't have good stats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:45 pm »

I dunno. The sieges are less threatening than vanilla goblin ambushes, and take about as long to start showing up, maybe a hair faster. I think it's the lack of armor, it takes more strength to bring down a vanilla goblin ambush than it does to take out a froggie siege. I'll admit to the lizardmen, they're a threat to non-military dwarves, but frogmen are kind of... splattable.

While I don't get the same fear about sieges that I do in Dig Deeper, the multitude of races means I do feel constant pressure. This season I've had two sieges, four ambushes, about 8 snatchers and four or so thieves. It's starting to get frustrating, even with the reduced clothing my dwarves don't have nearly enough time to clean up. Beyond the reptile/amphibian races, I think this mod is good.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2009, 10:24:57 pm »

Depending on where you settle, other civs will show up quicker.  I have yet to even see frogmen, but have seen lizardmen, werewolves, elves, humans, and a few more.

Plus, if you don't fear the sieges enough, combine the mod with aspects of another that revamps the metals.  Many of the siegers that wear metal armor will use the new, stronger metals.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:03:23 am by Zifnab »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2009, 11:13:50 pm »

Just got this. A few small points:

First of all, even though installation should be fairly clear, there should still be a brief readme. I foolishly put the new world_gen.txt in my /raw/object folder and it took me a while to figure out.

Also, I'd appreciate a scaled-down version of the world_gen parameters. Large worlds take forever to generate, and personally, I'm rather picky about embark sites. And I'd like to have the specially-tuned world gen stuff to help all the civs survive.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2009, 04:53:43 am »

The last part, allowing all civs to survive, is easy enough if you give them [CAN_SPEAK] for world gen, and then remove the ability to speak before fortress mode. That's how I pulled off my latest world with 13 enemy civs.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2009, 09:29:10 am »

Wow, I started genning a world to year 10000 last night, about 12 hours ago, and it's only at year 4373 so far, the Age of Heroes.
1,720,268 events so far.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2009, 05:34:13 pm »

Wow, I started genning a world to year 10000 last night, about 12 hours ago, and it's only at year 4373 so far, the Age of Heroes.
1,720,268 events so far.
You ever finish this?  Who survived to the end?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2009, 08:28:09 pm »

1,720,268 events so far.
An hour after I posted the program froze up, completely.
Couldn't even get it to show the window like a "normal" freeze.

:(
Om Nom nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2009, 06:09:41 am »

1,720,268 events so far.

This happens with normal DF as well, I wasn't able to gen a world past 9100 years with ANY settings.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2009, 08:14:18 am »

1,720,268 events so far.

This happens with normal DF as well, I wasn't able to gen a world past 9100 years with ANY settings.
I can easily gen 10000 year pocket worlds :p
Does DF have a cap on how much RAM it can take up?
Om Nom nom nom nom

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »

Finally encountered one of the "endgame" races. Treants leave something to be desired, like the lizardmen before them three champions decimated the siege. The one major advantage they had was [NOBLEED], they actually managed to reach the fortress through three legendary marksdwarves using bone ammo.

I guess nothing is really able to survive a properly crosstrained soldier. Oh well, maybe next version.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 22, 2009, 05:25:04 am »

Hey, this has prolly already been asked, but is there any way to know that we installed it correctly. Also can anyone tell me how to install this mod? which folder do I drop the files in?
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 22, 2009, 08:00:53 am »

In the raw/objects file in the Dwarf Fortress directory. You need to generate a new world for the changes to take effect though.
Meh.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 22, 2009, 11:20:44 am »

I must say, the old version of the treants seemed more of a challenge.  They were changed to better survive worldgen, right?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22