Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66514 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »

Glad you guys are digging it.  Can't wait until you start getting treants and giants...

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 04:00:25 pm »

Still, the first year is over. Got two waves of migrants (is that normal?) and was attacked ONLY by lizardmen. Still, we have magma access now and no threat seems to be THAT dangerous.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 06:02:19 pm »

I really dislike the Treants.  The sieges are big homogenous masses of wrestlers that are annoying to fight and don't bleed in amusing ways.  I think it would be better if you folded them into the elves as special units.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2009, 06:51:09 pm »

I really dislike the Treants.  The sieges are big homogenous masses of wrestlers that are annoying to fight and don't bleed in amusing ways.  I think it would be better if you folded them into the elves as special units.
Damn, really?  They're my favorite, personally.  With most battles in DF lasting a few seconds, I think it's a nice change of pace to have one type of enemy that provokes a drawn out.  Ditto for their near-invulnerability to ranged weapons.

Would you prefer it if they used wooden mauls and blowguns?  That was my original plan, but for some reason they would always drop everything they were holding at the edge of the map.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 11:29:10 pm »

Awww, lizardman siege arrived, two piles of them on the north edge of the map... so I call all the dwarves in and wait for everyone to get in the fort... when suddenly a third pile that must have come from a different edge is suddenly right on my doorstep

Fling the drawbridge up, few get in, call military...

Forget about the hole I dug earlier to free the trapped axedwarf was still there and not blocked... with 5 lizardmen that got thrown down there when the bridge went up

It went bad, the 5pack rolled through my crafting areas and dining hall while my military was stuck fighting at the entrance, while the lizardmen outside apparently perforated my marksdwarves through the fortifications with their exploding napalm arrows or whatever the hell they shoot  (One arrow mangled both lungs at once of one dwarf  :\  )  Wasn't much left by the time my dwarves all got drafted to last ditch defend

New fort time ahoy, got a far better fort plan this time for miltiary defense  =D

This mod rocks, never had so much fun dying haha

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 02:11:32 am »

I decided to take the different approach with this mod then what I usualy do and made all extra dwarfs into a single massive unit and had them train like crazy in a massive barracks. Unit is 25 strong (2/3 of the forts pop) and the Kobolds show up, my first ambush. I raise the front bridge and take care of the one that made it in, sadly not in time for my Guard Muskox. and then open my "War Gate" a narrow bottleneck that goes from the bottom of the mountain all the way up to the barracks. I send the command to stand at the ready in the barracks and then I see two soldiers headed down to the bottom of the "War Gate". then the anouncement An Ambush! their leader is right there next to the channel that supplies my well and the two soldiers attack and drag 5 kobolds into the chanel with them including the boss. everyone drowns.

then a year later my first siege, Frogers. I send out my full force now with a few champions and they quickly dispach the foe. then a caravan comes... and a Lizzy seige. I got the caravan in at the cost of all but two of the fighting force. and then tantrum. a Berzerk Mason uses the bottleneck of the "War Gate" to kill seven civilians before the one remaining guard and two soldiers finish him. My embark leader goes melancholy and locks himself in with the tame NMD(droped in the 1x1 pit lol), and his wife goes stark raving mad just after I have her dig through the back of their bedroom to the bottomless pit that was right behind it.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10:24 am »

I'm having the same problem as Nobody1225 with skipping waves. I got nothing my first year (thankfully, because I mis-estimated the time it would take to dig out basic defenses) then went straight to lizardmen in year 2. Then, in year 3 I skipped goblins, elves, and humans straight to a single (small) wave of werewolves (thankfully most were killed by my marksdwarves) and more lizardmen later. I'm on year 4 now and I skipped ogres (and werewolves, if you don't count the one small wave) straight to treants.

I think the problem is you're using population and wealth progress triggers, both of which are kind of unreliable. The population usually explodes due to immigration (I had my cap of 100 dwarves by spring year 3) and artifacts can (and do) throw wealth off completely.

It might be better to use the trade triggers, as that will (usually) be a slower, gentler increase rather then spiking up in the first few years like the other two. Of course then the player can manipulate what attacks him, but considering you could just make a drawbridge door and ignore attacks completely if you want I don't think that's a huge problem. I have no idea what export requirements are for the different levels so you might export enough in the first caravan to trigger giants making this one too unreliable as well - who knows?

By the way I think treants are bugged - they are all laying down. I think you forgot to give them a nervous system which would be the same reason they drop all their equipment at the edge of the map. [NOTHOUGHT] should fix this if you don't want them to have a vulnerable brain to pierce. I have no idea what other side effects that token has (maybe none). This will probably also make them a bit faster (they are currently crawling around) so you should probably check they are still balanced. You also might want to give them [CANNOT_UNDEAD], though no bones and no skin might cover that.

Anyway the mod is a great idea and really adds a nice sense of progression that the game is lacking (at least until toady adds some next release). The variety of attackers keeps things fresh, and I *LOVE* the much lowered amount of junk loots.

Edit: Fixed redundant 'of course'

Edit2: I added [NOTHOUGHT] to treants and it fixed them crawling around - they are much faster and much more deadly. Also, building destroyer actually works on them (when they were crawling they didn't seem interested in smashing my things). They are more likely to get hit with bolts, but they are faster so they are in range for a MUCH shorter time and they shrug them off pretty well.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:27:56 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 11:54:24 am »

even if a civ survives worldgen, it could only have a handful of units left, which severely limits its ability to mount sieges. 

there's also distance and war-status...

*ponders*

I think i'll experiment later with using very few civs with insane breeding rates that are limited by the per-civ hardmax instead of anything rational

and i don't know about everyone else, but im modding out a bunch of the clothing that civs still have left... I can never afford to build enough bins to hold all the finishedgoods even if I bring 120 logs on embark.  and logging is almost a lost cause in this mod :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:04:44 pm by TheDeadlyShoe »
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:34 pm »

I'm having the same problem as Nobody1225 with skipping waves. I got nothing my first year (thankfully, because I mis-estimated the time it would take to dig out basic defenses) then went straight to lizardmen in year 2. Then, in year 3 I skipped goblins, elves, and humans straight to a single (small) wave of werewolves (thankfully most were killed by my marksdwarves) and more lizardmen later. I'm on year 4 now and I skipped ogres (and werewolves, if you don't count the one small wave) straight to treants.

I think the problem is you're using population and wealth progress triggers, both of which are kind of unreliable. The population usually explodes due to immigration (I had my cap of 100 dwarves by spring year 3) and artifacts can (and do) throw wealth off completely.

It might be better to use the trade triggers, as that will (usually) be a slower, gentler increase rather then spiking up in the first few years like the other two. Of course then the player can manipulate what attacks him, but considering you could just make a drawbridge door and ignore attacks completely if you want I don't think that's a huge problem. I have no idea what export requirements are for the different levels so you might export enough in the first caravan to trigger giants making this one too unreliable as well - who knows?
There's actually a few different issues here.  One is that where your site is actually makes a pretty big difference as to when you get attacked.  In the test fortress I have at the moment, the Treants were close, first ones listed on the embark screen, and sure enough they showed up very early, around year 4 or so..  Another is that babysnatchers take 1-3 years to go from sending snatchers to sending armies after hitting their trigger, so it's not hard to hit the next trigger before that happens (at which point the mute civ will invade more or less immediately).

You're right that trade triggers would probably be more gradual.  My main concern with them is that it would be a bummer to have a series of badly times seiges prevent your trading and therefore your progression...  still, it's probably worth looking into...

By the way I think treants are bugged - they are all laying down. I think you forgot to give them a nervous system which would be the same reason they drop all their equipment at the edge of the map. [NOTHOUGHT] should fix this if you don't want them to have a vulnerable brain to pierce. I have no idea what other side effects that token has (maybe none). This will probably also make them a bit faster (they are currently crawling around) so you should probably check they are still balanced. You also might want to give them [CANNOT_UNDEAD], though no bones and no skin might cover that.

Anyway the mod is a great idea and really adds a nice sense of progression that the game is lacking (at least until toady adds some next release). The variety of attackers keeps things fresh, and I *LOVE* the much lowered amount of junk loots.

Edit: Fixed redundant 'of course'

Edit2: I added [NOTHOUGHT] to treants and it fixed them crawling around - they are much faster and much more deadly. Also, building destroyer actually works on them (when they were crawling they didn't seem interested in smashing my things). They are more likely to get hit with bolts, but they are faster so they are in range for a MUCH shorter time and they shrug them off pretty well.
Awesome, thank you!  I had some sort of garbled graphics tiles for them (figured I wouldn't worry about it until I did all the graphics) so I didn't even realize they weren't standing...  definitely gonna be some changes there for the next update.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 01:23:30 pm »

I like the staggered manner of the sieges, it keeps you from being prepared for your seasonal siege. you don't know when or who is going to show up when. My only annoyance is that the Frogs break and run so fast. it might be that half there number is unconscious in 3 seconds. you know what i like them. and wish my first fort had lasted long enough to see them come with greater numbers.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 03:25:39 pm »

2nd siege comes in late summer or early autumn.
Lizardmen this time.

A Champion dabbling spearman charged in killed 3 and injured most of the others, while they were ganging up on him.
My other champions were late since they had better things to do.
He collapsed from over-exertion but managed to kill another one before they could give him any serious injury(2 grey and one brown wound).
After that they just fled.
The rest of my military killed of the other ones who weren't able to crawl away.

It's kinda hard to judge the difficulty and balance from this mod when you have you have 4 dwarves sparring right from the beginning and quickly set up a magma forge.
Hopefully humans, elves and everything that comes afterwards will give me some serious trouble.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »

I keep getting werewolf sieges long before human, ogre, goblin, or elf sieges. :|

though i have gotten human babysnatchers.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 06:09:40 pm »

Are giants supposed to be baby snatchers? It seems a little.... silly... to have a giant (who's bigger then a whale) sneaking into your fort.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 06:14:05 pm »

well if they wern't, they'd mount sieges before the humans, gobbos and orcs geared up...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 06:33:43 pm »

Are giants supposed to be baby snatchers? It seems a little.... silly... to have a giant (who's bigger then a whale) sneaking into your fort.

Yeah like TheDeadlyShoe said, it's mostly about timing...  but giants do steal in world gen.  Or you could think of them as slavers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22