Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: [.40d] Relentless Assault (version 1.21!)  (Read 66459 times)

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Relentless Assault
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:05 pm »

Like a lot of the people in the thread, I got lizardmen first and I've actually yet to get frogs. I don't know if they're coming. I'm wrapping up my third year now, and although only lizardmen have sieged (twice so far), I've gotten ambushes from kobolds, goblins, and Elves. The Elven ambush came at the same time as a caravan so that was a fun one to deal with. The kobolds were also my first trapavoid foes, but fortunately I had a military up and running by that point. The lizardmen sieges were rebuffed completely by traps.

I'm enjoying this so far! My one complaint is that it's so easy to lose trade caravans to sieges, and there's only two caravans yearly; I've actually yet to see any Gnomes at all, which I'm chalking up to sieges (I've checked my fortress site from a savescum, it's Gnome-reachable). I also missed the Dwarven caravan one year, and it's not so much about the lost commerce, so much as that trading is just something to do. It's also risky business setting up and protecting the depot and traders, but it feels less significant if you can just leave it blockaded ninety-nine one-hundreds out of the year.

Maybe consider a third trading race, without a diplomat? I can't imagine that I'm going to see more Gnomes or Dwarven caravans as the number of sieges increases, and I've already seen so few. If this seems like an unpopular request though it's just something I'll mod in myself, and you can leave the mod as-is bare-bones. ;)

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 11:51:30 pm »

I've been pondering changing the humans into orcs and adding humans as friendlies.

The principle issue is that it adds another fail point for worldgen..
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2009, 05:37:22 am »

This is my second year and I was attacked twice by lizardmen and once by treants. No goblins, no humans, no elves, no frogmen, no werewolves, no ogres and no kobolds. :(

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2009, 07:12:53 pm »

So far my new fortress has been progressing well.  Took a while to gen a world with all races though, but so far before my 2nd winter had two lizardman sieges, a frogman siege and a goblin ambush

Oh, and a fire imp that a peasant dragged across the entire map to my friggin fort  <_<

Also figured out the problem of my old fort not getting dwarf caravans.  The dwarf civ had on the civ screen, all of ONE mayor.  Nothing else.  Not much of a civ  D=

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 03:01:40 am »

About to try this out... (Started one fortress but the embark spot suuccked).

I really like the idea of a variety of siegers, many of whom aren't really at all uber. I suppose with a name like RELENTLESS ONSLAUGHT I should expect it to be a bit tough but that's not really what I'm looking for. I mean the Orc Mod sounds kind of boring to me, I'd rather have more sort of harassing attacks than OMG imminent fortress extinction attacks.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 04:05:55 am »

About to try this out... (Started one fortress but the embark spot suuccked).

I really like the idea of a variety of siegers, many of whom aren't really at all uber. I suppose with a name like RELENTLESS ONSLAUGHT I should expect it to be a bit tough but that's not really what I'm looking for. I mean the Orc Mod sounds kind of boring to me, I'd rather have more sort of harassing attacks than OMG imminent fortress extinction attacks.
You might want to get rid of either the triggers or the whole (entity) entries for werewolves, treants, and probably giants.  Ideally and usually they don't attack until you're ready for them, but if not they can do a ton of damage.

1.0 is up.

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relentless Assault (ver 1.0 up)
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 12:09:19 pm »

In my second year with 16 dwarfs and no siege and nobody on the civ screen.  All the correct enemies were listed out in embark though.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

The first two years with no caravans or migrants was a bit rough. I'm not sure why the migrants didn't come (I've never gone past 2nd year Spring without getting migrants). The sieges were just rushes that were over quickly, if they stopped the caravans that was just bad luck.

If caravans aren't coming, there's the question of why not just hole up and play a 7-dwarf challenge.

But it was fun not knowing what was coming.

Anyway it was't enough migrants. Put six of the ten migrants to the military, but it still wasn't enough when the goblin ambush and werewolves came... The werewolves were a bit uber. Ultra-fast trapavoid champion-slaughterers in year 3, yikes.

EDIT: Though, I see I wasn't playing the latest version! I'll take another crack at it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:52:49 pm by MrLobster »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 09:08:44 pm »

The first two years with no caravans or migrants was a bit rough. I'm not sure why the migrants didn't come (I've never gone past 2nd year Spring without getting migrants). The sieges were just rushes that were over quickly, if they stopped the caravans that was just bad luck.

If caravans aren't coming, there's the question of why not just hole up and play a 7-dwarf challenge.

But it was fun not knowing what was coming.

Anyway it was't enough migrants. Put six of the ten migrants to the military, but it still wasn't enough when the goblin ambush and werewolves came... The werewolves were a bit uber. Ultra-fast trapavoid champion-slaughterers in year 3, yikes.

EDIT: Though, I see I wasn't playing the latest version! I'll take another crack at it.
Yeah, the werewolves are basically meant to be a test of how quickly you can get everyone on the right side of a drawbridge; unless you have a very well developed military they'll dominate you in melee.

The update won't really change much of what you experienced, but sounds to me like you just got unlucky with the seige timing, stunting your population.  Plus, as least getting jumped by bigger enemies means an extra trader now.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:20:47 pm by nil »

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2009, 01:50:55 am »

I have no memory of it happening but all my engravers seem capable of carving are gnomes stealing a bunch of items from my fort.  Not sure when this happened, but after losing half my dwarves to a lizardman siege (All my marksdwarves were out of the fort after I forgot to remove an old patrol point I had sent them to to kill a fire imp) a Mason threw a tantrum and beat a gnome baby nearly to death that must have come with the siege trapped gnome traders in my fort.

Needless to say my gnome diplomacy is not... going well.

Haven't gotten any caravans yet since my fort is like the bermuda triangle of wagon inaccessability and sort of fearing I may never get one again, no steel anvils and no happy fun times.  Oh boy.  Seriously, it is like the game hand placed every last boulder on the mountain to perfectly bork ANY wagon travel from any direction just to spite my poor, poor dwarves.

Also while rebuilding my fort after the lizardman face kicking one of my mason was randomly horribly injured inside the fort while making mason stuff.  No friggin idea how it happened, but he was MESSED UP.  Just got the "mason cancels job : resting injury" then found him in his bedroom with most of his organs in the red  O_o

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2009, 01:22:19 pm »

I started a new Relentless Assault fort, and finally got frogmen first! A siege of one unit came in early Summer, eliminating my Dwarven caravan, unfortunately. At first I overestimated the strength of the frogmen and tried to use my Mechanic to quickly lay some more traps -- he only got one built in time, though, and because he was cut off from the rest of my Dwarves he was overrun in the fray and killed.

I had drafted the other six and set them up behind a bottleneck. The frogmen split into two or three groups chasing my animals (4 of 5 which they eventually killed). I used my squad of 6 (two with picks, one with an axe) to kill first a group of 3 frogmen that hadn't broken off, and then to pursue a squad of 6 that had wandered south while the rest went north. My wrestlers suffered no deaths but one casualty against the group of 6, and with 9 frogs dead the remainder fled the map.

I assume that I was so victorious because frogmen would be small, even compared to my dwarves. Some of them were macefrogs, and those were the ones that gave one of my dwarves a mangled led.

It was pretty awesome and a good challenge to have to deal with a siege this early, especially one that means I won't be seeing a caravan until Winter and I won't be able to set up a trade agreement with the Dwarves until next year, much less get what I need (2 Summers into the future). Like I said earlier, this was the first time I actually got frogmen ... normally I jump straight to lizardmen, which have been much harder to deal with.

The lizardmen and frogmen are both pretty cowardly though, and now I'll set up enough traps so that their casualties will cause them to flee before I encounter them in melee combat. I can't really afford to risk any more dwarves at this point until I get migrants! :)

... but, of course, the one Dwarf that got killed was my Mechanic! So it'll take some time to get myself protected, which will hopefully lead to Fun. Again, great mod. It has become my favorite "add more enemies" mod. Thanks a billion!

EDIT: For anyone who is curious, I had about 12,000 dwarfbucks as created wealth when the frogmen attacked me on Early Spring 16. Just in case you want to know what numbers to avoid. ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:31:46 pm by Emily Murkpaddled »

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2009, 01:44:14 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind this post, I didn't notice where the 1.0 changes were listed in the OP. Could you maybe bold a header for that section or something? It's nestled in the middle of old news.

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2009, 03:03:43 pm »

Dwarf caravan arrived but the trade screen doesn't show any prices, just items and weights... but merchants still expect a fair deal  O_o

Shot in the dark ahoy

Any thoughts why this would happen?

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2009, 03:06:59 pm »

You need to assign, from the [n]obles screen, a Broker who has at least Novice Appraiser. If you don't have anyone who has this skill, your Broker will gain an amount of it each time he or she sees new goods in the Trade Depot. Just make sure you use the same Dwarf to trade two or three times in a row, and you'll reach Novice.

Only the first Dwarf to see the goods gets experience in Appraiser, though, so make sure that you only allow your Broker to trade (an option from the Depot's [q] menu)!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »

That probably just means you don't have an appraiser.  A trade or two and you'll have it. (beaten!)  By the way, that mason you had injured earlier sounded like a justice-related beating.  Emily, I put some info up at the end of the second post for you.

I don't suppose anyone knows how triggers function?  So far, I've been unable to figure out if invasions come as soon as any trigger is reached, or if they wait until all triggers are reached.  If its the latter, that would probably be the best way to slow things down a little (which would be good, and imo better than nerfing enemies).  Maybe I'll be able to find time to do some testing, although that's a big "maybe" atm...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22