Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Orb Spider Silk Cloth☼  (Read 5378 times)

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
☼Orb Spider Silk Cloth☼
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

Some guy actually made spider silk cloth.  He has a machine that milks the spiders 24 at a time.  I'm just amazed at it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/spider-silk/
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orb Spider Silk Cloth☼
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:30:56 pm »

Someone already posted about this a while ago. I think its on page two or three.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:28:23 pm »

First I had heard of it, nice find.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »

That thing is beautiful.  The color is brilliant!  I wonder what it feels like...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »

That thing is beautiful.  The color is brilliant!  I wonder what it feels like...
Like the taint of the foul arachnids that produced it.  Of course, calling arachnids foul is a bit redundant.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:20:05 pm »

Is that just a troll or what?

But back to DF- how to hell do you string together a cloth from gathering webs with your bare hands?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 10:33:37 pm »

Is that just a troll or what?
No.  Just a silly way of saying spiders bother me.  Even the webs make me feel uncomfortable to touch, and that thing is made of web.  It probably doesn't feel very different from normal silk, though.
But back to DF- how to hell do you string together a cloth from gathering webs with your bare hands?
I've been wondering about that, and I just put it down to one of those abstractions that are there due to the game being in alph - like how engravers don't use chisels.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 10:35:16 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 05:48:49 am »

Personally, I think its back to the beard again.

To begin with, The dwarf in question, upon finding the spiderweb, dips his beard into the web and starts moving it this way and that. This causes the individual strands to be wound upon the beard. The better the dwarf is at it, the less breaks in the web.
When they get back to the settlements cloth stockpile, they use a fine comb to pull the strands off. Loremasters of Dwarven technology tell the most worthy dwarves of how a comb that has been used to brush a cat and has not yet been touched with iron can use the trapped playfulness of the cat to tease the strands onto the comb. This comes from the belief that if, after brushing a cat (an act not normally commited by any dwarf) if the comb does not touch iron, the cats playfulness is trapped, and after five days the cat crawls into a box and becomes undead. This is called the Schroidurist theory. The loremasters tell the weavers of a chant to bring back a cats playfulness.
A man who heard this tried telling the dwarves about magnetism and electrostatic forces, but the dwarves told him to bugger off and not be an idiot. That was after they had removed his left leg, and wrestled the axe from the loremasters fingers.

After that, the looming is easier. The comb is interwoven into the looms threads, and with extreme care, the spidersilk is wound off of the combs hairs onto the loom.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 05:18:46 pm »

Like the taint of the foul arachnids that produced it.  Of course, calling arachnids foul is a bit redundant.

Agreed.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 03:04:14 am »

Spider silk is actually pretty powerful. If this is the real deal, that cloth ought to be bullet proof.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »

Not necessarily.  Most of the strength of Kevlar comes not from the properties of the chemicals it is made of, but the way it is weaved.  I doubt this piece of cloth would be strong enough to stop bullets.  It may, however, be able to be used as a very light, strong rope.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »

Not necessarily.  Most of the strength of Kevlar comes not from the properties of the chemicals it is made of, but the way it is weaved.  I doubt this piece of cloth would be strong enough to stop bullets.  It may, however, be able to be used as a very light, strong rope.

On the other hand, it has some ultra-fine fibers, and therefore could easily be made in a similar but even stronger weave than Kevlar, and be pretty much invulnerable.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 04:30:49 pm »

Spiders are cool as long as they stay outside or within reach of a window. That is where your optimum fly-catching areas are, you stupid bastards.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »

On the other hand, it has some ultra-fine fibers, and therefore could easily be made in a similar but even stronger weave than Kevlar, and be pretty much invulnerable.
In general a "good" fiber is something that is stiff and strong. Spider silk is tough, but it gains that toughness by being weak and stretchy. This makes it an awful replacement for something like Kevlar, or just about any fiber. Heck, regular wool is tougher then Kevlar, but I know which one I'd want my bullet proof vest made out of.

If you're looking at something that could be replaced by spider silk then you should look at applications where low stiffness and/or high elongation potential are desired. An example of something to look at is synthetic rubber. Compared to rubber the viscid parts of a web are reasonably elastic, and extremely strong.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:36 pm »

AH HA HA HA, LOOK AT THE LEETLE BEBIES, A-SCARED OF DA SPIDAR.

OH HO HO HO. I have a bro spider, who made his web right outside my window and catches flies that try to fly in. Thanks to him, I can leave my window open AND not have to worry about flies.

When I see them in the house, I pick them up(WITH MY HANDS, YOU BEBIES) and put them outside. Most spiders are harmless.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: [1] 2