Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: starting on C++  (Read 2081 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting on C++
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 12:31:24 pm »

http://sushiboxstudios.com/novalis/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=147 Setting up, includes download to code::blocks.

http://sushiboxstudios.com/novalis/viewforum.php?f=17 Tutorials. Learn from them.

http://sushiboxstudios.com/novalis/viewforum.php?f=7 Questions. Ask them.

http://sushiboxstudios.com/novalis/index.php Forum and Download.

I recommend all of this ONLY if you plan to create games, or applications.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »

What could be simpler that a complete compile/build/link than double-clicking a file?

Code: [Select]
gcc file.c otherfile.c dir\*.c -o optionaloutputfile.exe -mwindows -mconsole -llibraryfile
pause
Eh?
Eh!

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »

What could be simpler that a complete compile/build/link than double-clicking a file?

Code: [Select]
gcc file.c otherfile.c dir\*.c -o optionaloutputfile.exe -mwindows -mconsole -llibraryfile
pause

Left-clicking a single button... joking aside, thanks, I didn't know it was that simple!  I'll have to look into this later...  Last time I'd seen anything about compiling without an IDE was when I was browsing some obscure PSP Homebrew forum, and found a set of really complicated instructions for setting up the build file and such...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »

All you need is to learn how to use a batch file. It works just like a command prompt, only it's the file, not you, inputting the commands.
Eh?
Eh!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 09:10:48 pm »

I'm in college right now, but so far have only taken java (under the eclipse gui).

I want to download a C++ compiler (and perhaps a gui) to begin learning. Then download a library in which I can create and paint a small window, to experiment with graphics.

If you know a C++ compiler that you like or use, please suggest.

Maybe you're not aware, but Eclipse does C/C++ as well.  I've never used Eclipse for anything but java, but my college uses it for C++ as well.  As always, Eclipse is highly recommended.

Here's the plugins you need straight from eclipse.org
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 10:18:32 pm »

Ah, but a large reason for my switch from java to c++ is because I got really pissed at an error trying to compile code.
An error that wasn't in my code, but rather somewhere inside java/eclipse from time.utill.

So even though eclipse can do c++.
I'll pass. (or wait untill _they_ fix the error at least)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:31:10 pm »

Ah, but a large reason for my switch from java to c++ is because I got really pissed at an error trying to compile code.
An error that wasn't in my code, but rather somewhere inside java/eclipse from time.utill.

I couldn't even begin to guess whether it's an error involving you (don't disqualify the possibility you broke it), an error in Java (there's a few of them), or an error in Eclipse.  I very strongly doubt if it's the third, though.  Eclipse works by using plugins, with Java being run by a couple of them and C/C++ being run by others, etc.  In the off-chance it is an error in Eclipse, it's probably an error in the Java plugin, which would have absolutely no effect on the C/C++ plugin.  It seems to me you shouldn't disqualify something you're familiar with(a massive advantage) just because of an error that probably won't exist when you shift gears.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 12:23:21 am »

I couldn't even begin to guess whether it's an error involving you (don't disqualify the possibility you broke it), an error in Java (there's a few of them), or an error in Eclipse.  I very strongly doubt if it's the third, though.  Eclipse works by using plugins, with Java being run by a couple of them and C/C++ being run by others, etc.  In the off-chance it is an error in Eclipse, it's probably an error in the Java plugin, which would have absolutely no effect on the C/C++ plugin.  It seems to me you shouldn't disqualify something you're familiar with(a massive advantage) just because of an error that probably won't exist when you shift gears.
I can't be running around on chances that something "might" work.

I take that gamble enough writing my own code "that 100% won't work the first time I write it" to know using a compiler that "might" work is absolutely absurd.

"something you're familiar with(a massive advantage)"
Theres far too many options with either compiler to me to know one quarter of everything. What I know about eclipse, the only feature I would port back for, suggesting the answer based on the object used, won't work for the majority of my c++ code!

" couldn't even begin to guess whether it's an error involving you (don't disqualify the possibility you broke it), an error in Java (there's a few of them), "

The error appeared for compiling a program with an empty main and nothing more than a name. If this error was in a java plugin that is shared with the c++plugin? well i'm not willing to take that risk.
also, I tried two diffrent versions of eclipse and they came up with the same error, thrown by something in time.utill.

Because I also could not find anything useful about graphics in java, I decided to migrate.
Do my own dam graphics If I have to.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 12:25:43 am »

I couple of the changes I made to my game worked on the first try...
I just felt like bragging I guess.
Most of the time they don't work though.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 12:31:36 am »

Congrats, you have earned the "not newbie" award.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:00 am »

So what, what the fuck is this topic about again?

Becuase i'm bored as shit, as normal, and I'm finally beginning to actually do something, for once, and now I have to wait, even more, to do anything.

Well borderlands is coming out tomorrow and i'm getting it, so that might slash out some of my time, but I did just code a little thing and work out a few bugs.

I seriously have no fucking idea why I am typing this. Mainly I just want to know what this topic is now about.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 01:32:58 am »

So what, what the fuck is this topic about again?

Becuase i'm bored as shit, as normal, and I'm finally beginning to actually do something, for once, and now I have to wait, even more, to do anything.

Well borderlands is coming out tomorrow and i'm getting it, so that might slash out some of my time, but I did just code a little thing and work out a few bugs.

I seriously have no fucking idea why I am typing this. Mainly I just want to know what this topic is now about.
If I was a bit less tired I would think of something.
maybe later.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 05:22:40 am »

that's what YOU think.  Somewhere over there, one tiny fix spoiled something else!   :P 

anyway... I'm having an interesting struggle with textures... I can only load square bmp's and have a hell of a time to map them into a polygon with opengl...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 06:49:12 am »

Really? How are you loading them?

If it only works for squares, you are probably simply accidentally switching the width and height.

Yes, textures arer a bit harder than many other things. Did you remember to glEnable them?
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 07:20:51 am »

I'm loading the bmp reading the 54 bytes header and then all the remaining info.  The thing is that I need to leave some bytes if the width is not divisible by 4 and I keep screwing up.

thanks, I think I did glEnable...

anyway... I was able to load them them with a different project with half my code and half rip off from the some site... So I should go back there and see what I did wrong or am missing. 
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.
Pages: 1 [2] 3