Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I need to learn Spanish, well and quickly.  (Read 3459 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: I need to learn Spanish, well and quickly.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 10:42:15 am »

Pronunciation is not that important in Spanish anyway. He'd have to botch it really throughly to be unable to get through.

Most likely he will have problems with noun gender and number, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »

Pronunciation is not that important in Spanish anyway. He'd have to botch it really throughly to be unable to get through.

Most likely he will have problems with noun gender and number, though.

Follows ridiculously simple rules, and easily memorized...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 04:36:55 pm »

Not saying that it isn't. But for what I've seen native english speakers usually have problems over that.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:59 pm »

Not saying that it isn't. But for what I've seen native english speakers usually have problems over that.

Really?  Huh, interesting.  I've learned/studied a reasonable number of languages, and if I remember correctly my main problem with Spanish was that the vocabulary just wouldn't stick in general.  In one ear, straight out the other.

I'll admit that it shocked me quite a bit when I found out that milk was masculine in French, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »

The problem is that consuming media only in Spanish will improve your vocabulary and comprehension skills, but not pronunciation ... for that, a Spanish girlfriend would be best *g*

"I thought you said you were breaking up with me!"

"What? No, I said 'Please pass the chicken!'"
I'll admit that it shocked me quite a bit when I found out that milk was masculine in French, though.

Gender usually depends upon whether the noun ends in an "e." Milk is "lait" in French, and is masculine because of the end letter. "Chemise" (a shirt) is feminine, whether it is a guy's shirt or a girl's shirt, and the ending "e" is indicative of the gender.

However, there ARE exceptions. Plenty of exceptions. Such as "crocodile," which is masculine, and "revolution," which is feminine.

And there are are exceptions to the exceptions...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:26 pm »

Yeah, I actually nearly majored in French literature.  Then mathematics ate my brain, and suddenly I have no time for languages  :'(

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »

Yeah, I actually nearly majored in French literature.  Then mathematics ate my brain, and suddenly I have no time for languages  :'(

Heh, I took Calc II in my junior year of high school, and I will likely major in chemical engineering or pharmacy when I go into college next year. Although I have a passing fancy for astrophysics and quantum mechanics lately.

High five for complicated stuff that no one else understands! *smackkkk*
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 [2]