Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons Modifications  (Read 635 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons Modifications
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:43:07 am »

I'm ill, so I figured I'd use the light headedness and 'all day in front of the computer'ness to make myself a mod. My first objective is to fiddle around with weapons a little bit.

I really do not like how, by default, the dwarven-made hammer and mace are basically the same weapon.

My plan is to add and change around weapons until each playable race has two options for each main damage type; a one handed sword or mace, and a two handed axe or hammer. That's not all.

The next step is material size versus weight. I want the two handed weapons to be heavier, and thus take more materials to build. Hammers will have more weight per material, with spears or swords [haven't decided!] being the lightest per material unit used.

Also, is there a way to make simple weapons, such as short spears and clubs, out of wood without making it a ranged ammo-less weapon? In that case, would the right class still use it?

Last, but not least; any of you highly experienced modders have any advice? Please don't say 'Wait until the next release to change anything'. :)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Modifications
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »

any ranged weapon can be made out of wood or bone, as long as it is enabled in their CIV entry, but caravan guards and siegers will always carry metal versions. If you want a weapon to be made out of wood exclusively, you have to give that civ the [WOOD_PREF] token in their CIV entry, but then all of their weapons will be made out of wood, which you probably don't want.

The best way around these limitations is to use reactions, if you use reaction though, you will have to make a different reaction for each type of wood. This way you can use wooden weapons without having to worry about metal versions popping up. be aware that although your dwarves should be able to use the weapons, caravan guards will not carry them, nor will the weapons have quality modifiers. In addition, be aware that for ranged weapons, you will need to have at least one 'normal' ranged weapon (one that can be made at the bowyer's workshop), else you will not be able to make quivers. Similar methods apply if you want to make weapons or other objects out of other materials, such as glass or stone, but all materials except for metals have a defense and attack strength equal to 1/2 of that of iron.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:56:16 pm »

Instead of making one reaction for every type of wood, you could make a type of wood with no biome called pressed wood or something like that and simplify to a reaction that took any type of wood and put out a 'pressed wood' weapon.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:43:02 am »

any ranged weapon can be made out of wood or bone, as long as it is enabled in their CIV entry, but caravan guards and siegers will always carry metal versions. If you want a weapon to be made out of wood exclusively, you have to give that civ the [WOOD_PREF] token in their CIV entry, but then all of their weapons will be made out of wood, which you probably don't want.

I've tried adding new ranged weapons for this particular civ, namely a shortbow and blowgun but I can't seem to produce the ammunition out of bone or wood.

The best way around these limitations is to use reactions, if you use reaction though, you will have to make a different reaction for each type of wood. This way you can use wooden weapons without having to worry about metal versions popping up. be aware that although your dwarves should be able to use the weapons, caravan guards will not carry them, nor will the weapons have quality modifiers. In addition, be aware that for ranged weapons, you will need to have at least one 'normal' ranged weapon (one that can be made at the bowyer's workshop), else you will not be able to make quivers. Similar methods apply if you want to make weapons or other objects out of other materials, such as glass or stone, but all materials except for metals have a defense and attack strength equal to 1/2 of that of iron.

And if I use reactions in general I'd be limited to using the Smelter for all my construction needs, yeah? I'm patient. If that's the case I'll just wait for the next release whenever it comes. :D
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 03:21:51 am »

I think it'll be here no longer than in a year, so I'd wait for it too, looking how we wait for 7 years already :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

I think it'll be here no longer than in a year, so I'd wait for it too, looking how we wait for 7 years already :).

I first started playing DF after 3d had been implemented. I forget when, exactly, but I know I'm still excited to be a member of the community when a new revision comes out just so I can pull the old 'Well back in my day' spiel. ;D

So anyhow. I guess in Fortress mode you can't build non-bolt ammunition at a craftshop? Any way to change that?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:31:48 pm »

You can build ANY ammunition in the craftshop. The only problem is that you can make it from wood and bone too, so if you want bullets, it's a bit weird.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository