Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heirs to an Empire  (Read 2203 times)

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heirs to an Empire
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:28:22 am »

So I'm looking through the logs of a recently generated world (just discovered the Log Parser utility, very nifty) I've noticed that, of the five goblin civilizations still in existence, only ONE of them actually contains any living goblins.

That's right. One.

The other four are a very eclectic mix. One seems mostly ruled by dwarves, one by humans, one by elves, and the fourth is roughly equal parts human and elven (that one is still ruled by a demon, though).

I think it's pretty awesome that in this world, goblins were a sort of progenitor race who stole the children of so many other species that of all the civilizations in the world, goblin-evolved civilizations are the most varied. Kind of places a new spin on the ol' boys.

Now looking back through some of the history legends, I see that one of the goblin civs was getting beat on for awhile by a nearby human civ - until the gobbo's managed to steal enough dwarven children to field a force of good bearded shock-troops. Then they turned the tide and eventually crushed the human civ! Hah hah! Even enslaved, brain-washed dwarves kick ass!

Hot damn, I love this game.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Heirs to an Empire
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:22:30 am »

Actually, I love DF goblins.

They're like improved elves, except with bloodthirst. And a Demonic ruler.

EDIT: Also, they're immortal, which means that they have literally all the time in the world to steal kids. A goblin's most likely cause of death is... another goblin. :D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:31:43 am »

Actually, I love DF goblins.

They're like improved elves, except with bloodthirst. And a Demonic ruler.

EDIT: Also, they're immortal, which means that they have literally all the time in the world to steal kids. A goblin's most likely cause of death is... another goblin. :D

There can be only ONE!!!

*lightning*
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:33:19 am »

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly how their society worked.

You know, except without the things-exploding bit whenever someone got his head chopped off.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:16:58 am »

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress's world generation is great. It makes some amazing stories for you to uncover.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 11:44:44 am »

There should be a storyteller noble.

You'd be able to query him, and he'd give you a random tale from history. For those of us that don't read the world logs.

Edit again, maybe this is what the philosopher could do?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:46:18 am by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:51:36 am »

Not bad. I've given some thought to making an extension to the log parser that would 'write' history books centered on a character or civilization or town or whatever, detailing the thing that happened to it. However, I think it would end up quite repetitive after awhile and not be worth the effort in the end - better to be able to make it up in your head.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:24 pm »

No doubt about in-head writing being less repetitive and better. Thats the AI thing. Something in game is better than nothing, and the two current mechanisms (artifacts, engraving), are limited (gotta make a whole bunch, then scroll through them, and they are random rather than sequential about the same subject?)

Its why I am always happy when I get an artifact that has a bunch of history on it, esp. when it's about the same event.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:05:01 pm »

Yeah. Artifacts are neat but have a ton more potential. I just posted in a another thread about the artifact axe that was decorated with a picture of a soldier saving a child from abduction - naturally I gave it to the soldier, who used it with great fervor.

I'll be very happy when artifacts are created through history, too.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 02:23:57 pm »

I'd settle for something that can sift through legends and find the interesting stuff.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 02:31:00 pm »

I think that what would really be cool is a program that went and made family time lines for you from whatever character you want, forward and backward.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »

Now there is a pretty good idea. Might be a new project for me after I finish a langgen I'm doing. Or somebody - oh, what's the word - BETTER could do it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »

Toady is talking about exporting the Legends information into XML format or something with the next version. Once that comes out there will be some nice programs to convert it to various useful states.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One