Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130489 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 2)
« Reply #435 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »

Jorurnal of "Derm" Spatteredgirders
...I shall keep all of my ideas here from now on.

...Leave no evidence of my plans, whatever they will be.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »

Ammendium:

Eat this as soon as possible to commit to memory.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »

15th Hematite, 209, Early Summer
-------------

The human caravan from Pesor Siti is on the way.  I unforbid ten stacks of roasts - this alone should be more than enough to pull the entire caravan.  If not, there's plenty more where that came from.  At this point we're creating more wealth just for the fun of it.

"Ah, Zon," the wise Quietust flags me as I'm ordering the roasts to be moved to the depot.  "A word, please?"

"Hm, I'm becoming quite popular all of a sudden!  What is it?"

"During one of my daily meditations and wanderings about the fort, I stumbled across a tame dragon tied up near what appears to be adamantine!  But, alas, there is very little of the precious metal mined out.  So I must wonder, what is the dragon guarding if you aren't giving it the opportunity of something to guard against?"

"If you're asking me to have more of the adamantine mined, you can forget about it.  There's no need for it.  We have all the wealth we could ever want, our soldiers are well-trained and well-armed... and that stuff spells death to the fortress if we take too much!"

"Only if you mine it carelessly!  Should you find it necessary to dig out more adamantine (in case further moods require it, and they very likely may), I would advise using the trick of smoothing the walls and carving fortifications to reveal the tiles beyond - the fortifications can be mined out to get the stone, and clowns won't path through them (though they may cause a lot of lag nonetheless)."

"Clowns?  Lag?  I don't understand some of your wise-man talk... but it is a good suggestion, I'll give you that.  Still, I don't see the point.  Personally, I don't want to see beyond those walls, and I don't want any more of that cursed rock in my fortress.  Sorry, but it stays there."

"At least put the dragon to better use!  A dragon such as Nelare is a rare catch indeed, and could be put to great military use!  Why don't you set her upon the enemy?"

"Too much fallout!  That flame breath will cause far too much damage to our own military and animals.  It's better that she stay down there, where she can only be of harm to whatever danger lurks down there."

Angry shouts from outside... as usual, this can only mean one thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I send the champions and marksdwarves out to fight, but it's too late by the time they get there.  I hope this won't hurt our relations with the humans much!

Pethit, one of the human merchants, was stabbed in the liver, forcing him to crawl all the way to the depot with his mule.  This slowed down trading with the humans considerably...  What's more, I think the merchants were more than a little disturbed that our first response to the ambush was to run past them and grab what we could off of the goblins' still warm bodies.

Asob was re-elected as mayor again.  Surprising that someone who tends to avoid crowds should get elected so many years in a row.  As always, I'll probably have to put up with her getting a little stuck-up for a while again, like she does every time she makes it back into office.

I decided to build a bridge for crushing rocks and unwanted items inside of our indoor refuse pile, but this turned out to be a mistake.  I intended to place the bridge in an easily accesible spot that wouldn't have too many paths in or out, or be covered in a high-traffic area.  We don't want any bridge-related accidents!  Unfortunately, dwarves will be coming and going through miasma pretty often as they're moving items into the crusher.  I carve a second path coming in from the south to act as the entry to the crushing room.  A door has already been placed on the original entrance, but we can keep it forbidden.  The new lever out in the hallway will act as the bridge's control.

Of course, we didn't want the entire caravan - I claim we can do it just as a joke - but still, we get everything we want from the humans, including a lot of metal bars, for seven of the ten roasts sent for trade.  This really is too easy... makes me wonder what we're going to do with all the goblin clothing?  Probably crush it along with the rocks, I'll bet.

Quietust comes again.  I see our philosopher is very talkative...

"I see that you've used the fortification trick to peek beyond a bit of the Adamantine - I thought you weren't going to do that."

"Hm?  I didn't.  Why, what did you see?"

"Oh... those weren't your orders?  I didn't mean to get anyone in trouble--"

"What did you see??"

"Really, I can't bring myself to say something that might incriminate another... so, I'll draw it instead."

Asob!!  This has to be your doing!  This has gone too far...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:30:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:31 pm »

dermonster, could you do me a favor and please put spoiler tags around your journal entries?  I've asked others to do the same for sake of consistency, that way new readers don't get others' posts confused with the story (reading the non-canon parts of the story are "options" via opening the spoiler).  You're more than welcome to continue posting your own updates, in fact I'm interested to see where you're going with this.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:01 pm »

i have several ideas. all of which shall being the fort to its ruin. The final outcome and how it plays out is, of course, up to you.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #440 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:45 am »

You know, you don't have to use my comments word-for-word - it's fine to rephrase them a bit so they fit the narrative better (e.g. so you don't have to have Zon get confused by the terms "clowns" and "lag").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2010, 10:38:52 am »

You know, you don't have to use my comments word-for-word - it's fine to rephrase them a bit so they fit the narrative better (e.g. so you don't have to have Zon get confused by the terms "clowns" and "lag").
It's totally funnier that way. I mean, a wise and all knowing philosopher is allowed to get a bit meta, right?

=3
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2010, 11:18:42 am »

You're not the only person I've done that to.  It's a running gag I've been pulling since page 2!

um, you do realize the ------- beside the goblin means they are present and violent towards you right?  If the word "goblin" isn't there at all is when they arn't present.

"That's not what upsets me, Unib!  A goblin was sighted in the area!  Mayor Obok assured me there weren't any goblins in this area!  He even showed me these documents to prove it!"

Unib shook her head and put a hand on my shoulder.  "Um, you do realize the -------- beside the goblin means they are present and violent towards you right?  If the word 'goblin' isn't there at all is when they aren't present."

If it bothers you, I won't do it with the philosopher anymore.
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2010, 03:42:01 pm »

Ooh, we're in for some Fun. If you lose, do you plan on reclaiming?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2010, 03:58:44 pm »

Awesome fort is awesome. ;D

Don't stop quoting whole posts. I laugh so hard everytime it happens. :)

I don't suppose you have room for an UnderTaker here at SeveredCoils? Name Rick/Rica, burial duty and casket making.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2010, 04:21:43 pm »

You're not the only person I've done that to.  It's a running gag I've been pulling since page 2!

I know - that's when I first noticed it. If you're going to continue doing that, I suppose I can just start phrasing my suggestions more carefully. :)

casket making.

Carpenter, Mason, Blacksmith, or Glassmaker? For any of those, there'd probably need to be a separate workshop (with workshop profiles to prevent anyone else from using it), and it would preclude the use of work orders to make burial receptacles. Actually placing the coffins will probably still be done by anybody, but it'd certainly be possible to disable the Burial labor on everyone else (though newly arrived migrants would have it enabled).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2010, 04:34:12 pm »

Glassmaker. Watching the bodies of friends and heroes moulder in a see-through cairn seems very dwarfy to me.

If it's too big a pain, just custom title somebody and we can play pretend. Or continue playing, anyway. :)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2010, 04:47:43 pm »

I always thought stone coffins were more dwarfy.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:03 pm »

My caskets are a mix of stone, green glass, and clear glass.  I don't have a full-time casket maker, but I could consider one of the masons an "Undertaker" for you.  I'd love to continue using glass, but for some reason all efforts in training up a glass maker have been futile, for reasons I can't understand.  I suppose I should set somebody on repeated glass garbage, but it's not worth it at this point.  I have all the wealth I can manage.

Ooh, we're in for some Fun. If you lose, do you plan on reclaiming?

Actually, I have a plan for dealing with the HFS.  Getting a look at the chamber is the first step, of course.  Part of my "HFS diffusion device" is already pretty close to present, but I haven't had a chance to move the second piece where I need it.

Will I reclaim?  ...I hadn't thought about it, really.  That's something worth a reader vote, methinks.  The options are reclaim, or savescum if the fort is lost to anything other than a failed demand tantrum spiral kinda like I did here <_<...  Or, just end it and do something else entirely.

My vote's for scumming, because I want to keep the story intact and not have to fall backwards on a ton of progress with a reclaim.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 09:19:27 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »

Savescum would be my vote, because that would give us more consorts to play and please.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54